Thread: My homebuilt spindles

Downloads
    Uploads

Deleted

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

This spindle would not meet Herberts design standards, but the guy seems very happy with it.
    http://www.metallmodellbau.de/Eigenb...salspindel.php

That was a good inspiration for me to have a go at making a less sophisticated spindle. While it won't be a perfect 1.5kW 50,000 rpm device whic will run for a year non-stop, I am confident I can make a spindle to performed better than the Proxxon IB/E mounted to the lathes tool post.

I got two of these 200W Johnson motors off ebay for a total of 3€. I'll use one of these to get started. The PSU is a 300W ATX hack, which cost me about €10 all up.

I am hoping to learn enough off this one to make a better job when I tackle my ER-20 spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homebuilt spindles-img_6602-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_6603-jpg  
    Regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mhh ... this Johnson is toy motor from past century and has not even normal bearings! For the same few Euros you can buy something like this "happy guy" used, he did Escap but some years ago I bought full box of Faulhaber 3540 coreless motors, was via eBay and bought because was very cheap and I looked only for encoders installed to every motor. These motors are well balanced and on the ball bearings exact like this Escap is.
    I dont try to vilify you, believe me, just concern ...
    Cheers,
    Herbert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at my Spindle works - there was action speed turned down because removed front screen and was the only way to keep camera clean,
    http://helicam.ee/cnc/CNC1.mov ,
    wow-wow-wow ... because esc heli mode keeps choiced rpm, currently reduced down to ca 15k with 4.5mm endmill,
    cheers,
    herbert

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle dimensions

RotarySMP would you happen to have or know the dimensions of the guy's website you mentioned above homemade spindle dimensions?:

http://www.metallmodellbau.de/Eigenb...salspindel.php

I have that same escap motor (two of them as a matter of fact) and I'm interested in making a small spindle also, can you possibly help me out?

"Are you gonna eat that?"

Downloads
    Uploads

Praetor,
    According to the write up, the Spindle housing OD is 33mm and 80mm long. The bearing retainers are threaded 30 x 0.7mm The spindle shaft is an ER 11 collet chuck with a 12mm OD. Their is a 2mm eccentric ring on the motor, so that the belt can be tensioned. You should be able to scale the other dimensions off those.

Herbert,
    I liked that Video. Was it shot with a D-SLR? You use your machines for hours and days at a time. I have a young family and get out to do my hobby machining about 2x3 evenings a week. I would estimate my finished spindle will be used less than once per month for a few minutes. If the bearing and those crappy motors last 30 minutes total running time, but provide a more rigid spindle than the IB/E, I will have met my goal.

I will make the ER-20 spindle like your ER-16, but don't want to waste good bearing and motors, until I have practiced the critical machining steps. I have been watching Ebay for Escap, Dunker and Faulhaber motors, but no great bargains have turned up lately.

Regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    Praetor,
    Herbert,
    I liked that Video. Was it shot with a D-SLR? You use your machines for hours and days at a time. I have a young family and get out to do my hobby machining about 2x3 evenings a week. I would estimate my finished spindle will be used less than once per month for a few minutes. If the bearing and those crappy motors last 30 minutes total running time, but provide a more rigid spindle than the IB/E, I will have met my goal.
    I will make the ER-20 spindle like your ER-16, but don't want to waste good bearing and motors, until I have practiced the critical machining steps. I have been watching Ebay for Escap, Dunker and Faulhaber motors, but no great bargains have turned up lately.

RotarySMP,
    My shop lokates beside my house on my courtyard in other building. This spindle uses ER11 shank. This gantry mill has 1000 x 380 mm useful working area on the table, means that I can set up works for all night.
    This "working area" is 10mm aluninium plate is on the strong mill table on the 8mm spacers. This alu plate has full raster of through M4 holes between every 40mm *for fixing* ... I dont know is it understandable what Im trying to tell, but this is the best mode to fix, to keep mill clean and to mill as more as possible parts in one set up. There are two pumps - one for cooling, second for cleaning. There is collector ... there is filtering system and fine filter ...
    Right now this collector is full, means that today night machine will rest.
    Was just like some new ideas for you.
    cheers,
    herbert

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homebuilt spindles-img_1164-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_1166-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_1167-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_1168-jpg  

My homebuilt spindles-img_1169-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_1170-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks RotarySMP, that really helps, really appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Material used

One more question on the spindle from the website of the guy who built his own mini-milling spindle, is that a stainless steel he's using for the spindle body? Thanks.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...l.php&lp=de_en

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes 1.405 is a stainless steel. Not relevant though. All steels have roughly the same youngs modulus. Either use what you have, or get a piece of free machining steel.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks RotarySMP

Yeah, I have a very good stock of stainless, so i'll go from there. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a bit more done today.

Made the pulley collet, but might need to split it into two like valve collets, as it is pretty rigid, and may not clamp down on the shaft.

Since I did the same M8x0.75mm thread on the pulley end of the shaft, I needed two make a special nut.

That drove me to make a M8x0.75 tap out of silver steel, then made the nut out of brass.

Finally I started working on a peg wrench for this nut. Tomorrow I'll braze in the pegs, and turn up a Tommy bar for it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My homebuilt spindles-collet-pdf   My homebuilt spindles-img_6661-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_6656-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-img_6611-jpg  

My homebuilt spindles-img_6655-jpg   My homebuilt spindles-spindle-nut-pdf   My homebuilt spindles-proxxon-collet-spindle-pdf   My homebuilt spindles-img_6660-jpg  

My homebuilt spindles-img_6658-jpg  
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast