Need Help! Converting .STL to .DXF

Thread: Converting .STL to .DXF

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting .STL to .DXF

I want to take the 3D files from the link below and flatten them to 2D. I have Aspire 4.5, but this doesn't give me the option to take the 3D part and remove the frame only and paste it into the 2D section.

Downloads – RCExplorer

Does anyone have the ability to convert these files for me or, better yet, point me to software that I could use to achieve this outcome (I don't want to spend more money than I have already invested in Aspire to do this).

cheers
    Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Converting .STL to .DXF

Michael ... Not sure just what options are available in Aspire itself, but the main problem here is that there are no surfaces to take the frame from. I had a similar problem a few years back when provided with a very nice 'model' of a train wheel. In fact it had a 1024 sided shape for each of the round sections, and when blown up one could see these. The 3D printer software takes a sliced view of the part and build it up, and if one takes 'Tricopter V3 Tilt mechanism' one can see the way they have been sliced to print them, and while milling would introduce it's own facets, it does result at least in flat surfaces where practical. Also much rounder ones where appropriate.
    I am currently using Freecad to handle STL files. This allows you to slice the object and produce selected profiles. Drawing Module - FreeCAD Documentation gives you a good handle on just what can be done to take the 3D model and transfer it to 2D for machining.
    This is quite a common problem even with the more expensive CAD systems. My neighbour does drawings in both Proengineer and Catia, but they still fall back to Autocad for 2D manufacturing, and I remember early demonstrations of Solidworks where we used to keep hassling the salesman to 'print a drawing' of the part he had just produced. I think Solidworks does a better job of the 'draughting package' these days, but going back from an STL model will never restore the curves exactly as they were drawn. One needs a better modelling format for that.

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Lester. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but i'm glad you said there were no frames to pick up from to make 2D objects.

I tried quite a few free programs today, without luck. I could have drawn all the files with the time i spent trying to convert the stl's. May just do that instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is what I ended up doing with the train wheel. I needed the construction lines as well as the surfaces and that is what is missing from the STL model. FreeCAD is a little heavy going, but I'm hopeful that it will start to gain traction, and CAM/gcode modules will start to appear. There are already links to pull in PCB layouts, sheet metal parts and even export to 3D printer slicer. Being a scripted system, adding facilities is not as difficult as some packages, and even Aspire could benefit from some cross linkage.

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...tml#post936226

.stl is really a very poor format for flat parts like that, is it typically requires a very inefficient 3D CAM program to cut them.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, since you are only wanting the 2D profile of a specific component I would approach this task in this manner.

1. Download the zip file and extract to a work directory
    2. Import the STL into Aspire
    3. Use the Trace Bitmap command to obtain the vector outline

This outline can now be used to create a path within Aspire or it can be exported as a DXF for use elsewhere.

Hope this helps, Paul

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post
    Does anyone have the ability to convert these files for me or, better yet, point me to software that I could use to achieve this outcome (I don't want to spend more money than I have already invested in Aspire to do this). Michael
    Well then it depends on what CAD you use. Solidworks, ViaCAD, Rhino etc will all do this. So I suggest you look at what you use.

I use ViaCAD and I love it! For any STL of size, you will also need to have "Powerpack" installed.

It's a 3 stage process. 1. Import your STL. 2. Convert it to a solid. 3. Convert Solid to 2D.

When you convert to solid, you probably want to simplify the mesh to reduce the number of 2D lines you will end up with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by plcamp View Post
    Use the Trace Bitmap command to obtain the vector outline

This outline can now be used to create a path within Aspire or it can be exported as a DXF for use elsewhere.
    This is also now supported in Vcare 8. However, the real problem with this method is it will not provide all the vector of an object. Just depends what you are trying to do I guess.