Mach 3 And V-Carve

Thread: Mach 3 And V-Carve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 3 And V-Carve

I'm interested in a program that I can do text etc like on signs etc. I am trying V-Carve. I can't get it to let me do anything other than look at its files and simulate the toolpath. If I make a simple word for a test, it won't let me export it. I find it hard to purchace a program soley based on its tutorials. Am I just doing something wrong??????????????

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Monte55,

Thanks for taking the time to review VCarve Pro.

You should be able to Save Toolpaths for the Evaluation files supplied with the Trial version using the Mach2/3 postprocessor, then cut these designs on your machine.

If you are having a problem with this please drop us a note - support@vectric.com

Many of the members on the Zone have successfully cut the sample files to test that the software does what we claim, and I believe (hope) they are all happy with the results.

We released a new product on Friday - Cu3D - low cost 3D Model Machining software and the Trial version also includes Evaluation models that the Toolpaths can be saved at any size and cut on your own machine.

Tony

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tony,
    I don't think you appreciate the importance of being able to explore when trialing software with which one is unfamiliar.
    Monte55 mentions Mach3: I have been using Mach2 for a year whilst learning how to do things. Art never implied nor permitted downloads on the basis 'you can only machine what we allow' - perhaps that is part of why he has built such a strong following.
    From the examples you supply with VCarve, I was unable to figure what controls e.g. the rate of deepening of a cut. It just is. Mind you, the outputs did machine rather beautifully.
    Geoff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback and very glad you liked the output from VCarve Pro. The files supplied with the Trial version cover quite a wide range of different types of projects that our customers are using the software for. VCarving, Engraving, 2D Pocketing, Drilling, Cut Outs etc. and can all be machined at any size and with any combination of cutters, speeds and feed rates. You don't have to use the presets, these can be changed to match your own cutters and the materials being machined.

We have customers who have trialed the software by engraving the designs onto small coins and medals under 1" diameter and others routing 8' x 4' signs and door panels.

We understand that VCarve Pro is not for everyone if there's any doubt whether it's going to do what you need, you should certainly take a close look at the alternatives before making the investment.

We truly believe our software products do what they have been developed to do and at very realistic prices for the level of functionality and performance.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default V Carve to Mach 3 Problems

Hi Guys,
    I am having problems getting the sample file (OPEN sign) provided in the Trial version evaluation files to go to Mach 3 (Version 2). Here is what happens: First, I have the a dedicated desktop set up in my shop and right beside it a laptop with your tutorial running. I am going step by step; following the instructor. All appears to duplicate the tutorial until I "Save Toolpaths to File" and I am not allowed to do that. Now, it appears that I can save each individual tool path separately, but not all the toolpaths as one file so that I can then use it in Mach 3. I have gone over and over this and can't figure out how I can get this to work. I downloaded the Trial version of VCarve about two weeks ago and I think it is the most recent. Anyone? Help.
    Also, when looking at the drop down menu under post processors, what Mach2/3 , which one should I pick? They show 4 selections. I know the difference in mm and in but two of these choices say Mach2/3 ATC. What is that?
    Nick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to review VCarve Pro.

We recommend that you save separate Toolpath Files for each calculated toolpath unless you have an automatic toolchanger on your machine or have Mach3 setup to Pause when a Toolchange command is received.

ATC is an abbreviation we use in the postprocessor for Automatic Tool Changing and allows multiple toolpaths to be saved into a single file. However, there is a 'but' - The cutter used for each calculated toolpath must have a different number.

For example, in the Open Sign that you are running through an End Mill is used to Pocket out the flat region then a V-Bit is used to finish the edges and detail inside the pocket area. Each of these tools must have different Tool numbers - ie End Mill = 1 and V-Bit = 2

The software ensures different foolpaths cannot be saved with the same numbers to be safe and ensure you don't try to cut the job with the wrong cutter.

Clicking the Edit button allows the Tool Number to be changed as shown below.

I hope this makes sense and helps,

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 3 And V-Carve-tool_number-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Still no luck

I have no doubt V Carve works..........it just hasn't for me.

First........will an evaluation file from V Carve trial export directly to Mach 3 ver 2 or do I have to change the type of file to get it to work? To start all I want to do is router the "OPEN" sign. I've spent all day on this with no luck.
    I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After calculating a toolpath you,

Click the Save Toolpaths icon on the Toolpaths Tab (Right side of the interface)

Select the Mach2/3 Inch or Metric postprocessor from the Pull-Down list

Click Save and give the file a suitable name

As shown in the image attached.

In Mach3 you Open this file and send it to the machine.

I hope this helps and drop us a note - support@vectric.com - if you have any questions.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 3 And V-Carve-saving_toolpaths-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I have no doubt V Carve works..........it just hasn't for me.

First........will an evaluation file from V Carve trial export directly to Mach 3 ver 2 or do I have to change the type of file to get it to work? To start all I want to do is router the "OPEN" sign. I've spent all day on this with no luck.
    I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.
    This link might help, it has a video & PDF file (tutorial), for the open sign.

When you download the video, it will show up as an application, but it's really just a single video (XP).

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._tutorials.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    After calculating a toolpath you,

Click the Save Toolpaths icon on the Toolpaths Tab (Right side of the interface)

Select the Mach2/3 Inch or Metric postprocessor from the Pull-Down list

Click Save and give the file a suitable name

As shown in the image attached.

In Mach3 you Open this file and send it to the machine.

I hope this helps and drop us a note - support@vectric.com - if you have any questions.

Tony

ok guys, I followed your pdf files step by step and did everthing it said (referring to the Open sign) I had my desktop set up and duplicated each step while viewing on a separate laptop. When I got to the end, there is a notation that states: In trial version you must use the Open.crv file. So all of that was for naught. Using that file that I had created (before it told me I couldn't) I saved the preview image/file (as a Jpeg) and tried to open that image file in Mach3. I, of course, had to import it via Lazy Cam and go through those steps. Long story short; when I did a simualted program run in Mach 3, the estimated program run time is 7hours 27 min and 38 sec. What in the world did I do wrong?

I went back and opened up the Open.crv file in VCarve's Trial Version and tried to export it to Mach 3. To do that export, I had to highlight all of the vectors and then got an error message saying: Exporting of vectors is not available in the trial version of the software..

PS. I know I should already know this but how do I change a txt file to a dxf file? I am so tired right now I can't think.
    In your OPEN.crv file, isn't it a complete, ready-to-run file? Can't I send this file to Mach 3 and just run it? Won't it allow pauses for tool changes?

Please be specific in your answers. I have spent two days and haven't accomplished anything; except to know what I can't do.

Thanks,
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

First you need to understand the difference between a bitmap format and a vector format. Bitmaps are collections of dots (sometimes called pixels on a monitor) The dots are not connected. The number of dots in a square inch (DPI) determine the resolution. Vector files are made up of lines or curves described mathmatically using a beginning set of points and ending ones.

You can import bitmaps into MACH and it treats them as thousands of individual points; thus the 7 + hours run time. It creates a "photo engraving" (closer to a photographic half tone). Converting a vector (line) type format to a bitmap is easy. There is no magic way to easily convert a bitmap to a good vector file. JPG is a bitmap Format. DXF is a vector format.
    CNC cut files are vector based.

The G-code is a text file (you can open it in a text editor like Notepad) and read it (if you speak g-code).

Files in the CRV format are the native VCarve format and need to be run through their post processing to generate g-code that will run directly in MACH. The VCarve demo software will allow you to process (output in g-code) their sample files , import and design other vector objects (DXF, AI, EPS) see them on screen, but not process them into g-code.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post

I went back and opened up the Open.crv file in VCarve's Trial Version and tried to export it to Mach 3. To do that export, I had to highlight all of the vectors and then got an error message saying: Exporting of vectors is not available in the trial version of the software..

Nick,
    As Torchead as explained....You should be saving the toolpaths as a GCode file....
    The option to Export is for using the file with other software.

Once you generate the toolpaths in VCP then you can save them as a GCode file then take that GCode file and open it in Mach.
    The file will be a text file with the extension of .txt or .tap depending upon your post processor that you are using.
    I use Mach 3 and and if there are any problems, I'm not aware of them.
    Vcarve Pro and Mach 3 work great together.
    The process of taking a dxf or a EPS and getting a machine readable GCode file is basically the same for all cam software.
    In VCP it's a click click cut.
    Good Luck and hopefuly you will be able to see how truely easy this software is to use.

Chuck

Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    . The VCarve demo software will allow you to process (output in g-code) their sample files , import and design other vector objects (DXF, AI, EPS) see them on screen, but not process them into g-code.

Nick,
    I think what Torchhead wanted to say is
    You can run the sample file and save the toolpaths to to a gcode but, any other file cannot be saved as a gcode...only the supplied samples.

Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nick,

Try running the attached toolpath file on your machine using Mach3.
    This will vcarve the Open logo using a 90 degree V cutter.

The design requires 9" long x 6" high x 0.5" thick material

The X0 Y0 origin is in the middle of the design
    The z0 origin is on the surface of the material
    The maximum cut depth is 0.375"

Open the attached file in Mach3 and send it to the machine.

Let us know how you get on?

Tony

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Success

I finally got the "OPEN SIGN" cut out on my router. It came out fine. The problem was trying to come up with a g code to run it. In earlier post I was told to save toolpaths to Mach 2/3 inch in the pull down menu. This didn't work for me. I finally found g godes in the same menu and saved it. Then went to Mach 3 and clicked on "open g code", found it and ran it on the machine as four separate files.......one for each cutter operation. Great!

Am I to assume if I buy V Carve Pro, anthing I design in it can be saved as G code in V Carve itself? I guess if I have this program I don't need a different post processor. Also if I import other things into V Carve will it be able to be saved to G code within itself?

Thanks all for the response to my problem.............Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got the "OPEN SIGN" cut out on my router. It came out fine. The problem was trying to come up with a g code to run it. In earlier post I was told to save toolpaths to Mach 2/3 inch in the pull down menu. This didn't work for me. I finally found g godes in the same menu and saved it. Then went to Mach 3 and clicked on "open g code", found it and ran it on the machine as four separate files.......one for each cutter operation. Great!
    Saving the toolpath as Mach 2/3, may not work for everyone, to many machine/control setup possibilities. At least you know what works for your machine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I to assume if I buy V Carve Pro, anthing I design in it can be saved as G code in V Carve itself?
    Yes, just use the same setup that worked before (g-code .txt)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess if I have this program I don't need a different post processor.
    Correct, If you cut the open sign once, just keep using the same post processor that worked for you, and your machine setup.

Also if I import other things into V Carve will it be able to be saved to G code within itself?
    Yes, extensions that are ( .crv , .dxf , .eps , .pdf ) should all work, I say should because again just way to many options.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not trying to make things confusing, it is possible to create your own post processor, and add it to the Vcarve list, and to delete all the other post processors that you will never need.

So instead of a long list of post processors, you could have just the one (custom post), that way it's one less thing to deal with. And it will be the only one on the dropdown list, every time you go to use Vcarve.

The screenshot below is the post processor that I made ( Switchers New Post (*.txt) ).

Tony, I'm not trying to step on any toes here, I think that would be a good option for future versions of Vcarve, to create new post, & limit the post in the dropdown.
    I think most Diy guys only have 1 cnc machine.

Last edited by Switcher; 12-05-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Switcher,

Thank you for the excellent Support it's very helpful and appreciated.

I agree that the list can be a bit daunting to a new user and a shorter option might be better. It is a difficult one because new users often don't know which is the best postp option for their machine, but we will look at this for the future.

As you said, once a post has been selected it becomes the default you typically never have to pick from the list again.

Thanks again,

Tony