Newbie Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post

Khalid....

This site is incredible...spent over an hour searching through the first 1000 pics....still over 4000 to go and already picked out loads....
    One dragon in particular I'm gonna carve for my local Chinese restaurant....gonna be busy for weeks....

Many,many thanks...

Jep

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jep.

Those polys are excellent.

Here is my version of a litho. No dust to deal with and no screaming spindle. Analog modulated Laser diode on the back of mirrors using PEP to generate the code. You can back light them or not. It will give the same image effect either way. These are not backlit. Only thing you have to do is spray a light coat of clear paint on the back to seal them. The hardest thing is taking a picture of them.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-2116813-jpg   Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-8508562-jpg   Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-0836339-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jep,
    Thanks very much for your compliment re: PEP. I really appreciate it. I have spent literally thousands of hours working on the program, and with Jeff's guidance ( actually badgering is probably a better word ), added support for laser diodes. It has really been one of my most satisfying projects in my 73 years. In the almost 2 years since you purchased PEP, a lot of features have been added to PEP, and a lot of changes, too. I have never compared the differences in file sizes between your version and the latest (4.2.5), but I know they are different. You have piqued my curiosity some, so I will now do some comparison testing. Basically, I am using the same gcode generating routines for both spindle and analog laser files, and this will account for some differences in the versions. I engrave a lot of lithophanes, and while I am still experimenting myself with settings and programming, the addition of the feed rate change seems a positive benefit. I engrave at 60 ipm with a 0.005" step over and 0.10" deep, after pre-thinning to 0.15" thickness. I also use 25° China vbits. I have tried 15° and 10° bits, but saw no real benefit for the increased breakage risk.

I also want to compliment you on your technique of generating image height maps. I doubt that the process can ever be fully automated with a program, at least not by me at this late stage of my life.

Best Regards,
    John Champlain

www.picengrave.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Darn John,

I called it suggest and then Beta test.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

www.picengrave.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff....

Love what you have done on the mirrors....may get my laser diode sooner than I thought...but I will talk to you first for advice on which one to get.... :O)

I know what you mean about taking photos of finished work...the reflections can be a proper pain...they have to be seen "in the flesh" so to speak to be properly appreciated.....

Keep up the great work...

Jep

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John....thanks for the compliment....but none of it would have been possible without your picengravepro program...

It truly is the best program I have ever come across...

The following is from an earlier post of mine on the thread "Share Your Files Part or Art"... its comment number #9827

Hi Br1

Forget Mastercam....I use that at work and my little program at home wipes the floor with it.....and its way overpriced....also forget vcarve and any other software that cost 1000's of dollars...none of them are needed for greyscales if you use the program I use...

I use a little program for image to g-code called picengrave pro 4...its on ebay now for $59.95 fully licensed with full support from the owner(not that you will need it)...its that easy to use....

Picengrave Pro 4 CAD Cam CNC Software Image to Gcode Lithophane Laser Engraving | eBay

It also writes code for lithophanes....like this one I did of my daughter....

-1bbcoralith-jpg

hope this helps

jep

If you follow the comments a few before and after #9827 you will see I love telling people about your program...It is so brilliant....

Anyway...for my liths I eventually found 2mm thick pure pvc works great(corian was too price prohibitive for me)...and cut 1mm deep @ 6000rpm(the max my router will do) f1000mm/min and 0.2mm stepover which takes 2 hours 20 min on a 5"x7" cut......I use hygienic 2mm pure pvc wall lining which I buy in 8 feet x 4 feet sheets off ebay for around $50 delivered...and get close to 130 carvings out of it...so its very cheap per pic...If I upgraded my spindle to 24000rpm I'd be able to do a lith in under 40 minutes...but as a hobbyist I'm happy as it is....

Thanks again for your amazing program...

Jep

Downloads
    Uploads

That's great Jep,

Here is a PDF John put together with some info to get you started.

http://picengrave.com/Laser%20Setups.pdf

There are two ways to get the analog modulation voltage to vary the power to the Laser Diode. We came up with this analog modulation 8bit laser diode engraving process using a US Digital MA3 shaft encoder timing belted to a stepper motor on our first build.

US Digital | Products » MA3 Miniature Absolute Magnetic Shaft Encoder

Then our second build is on our servo machine which you can partially see in my video tied to the servo motor down below my router table.

The second option (if your circuit savvy) is to build a DAC. John's PDF has the parts list and schematics for it. It will take the step and directions from Mach and convert it to a 0-5v analog for the modulation input on the Laser driver.

We have tried both options, but prefer using the shaft encoder. It has 10bit resolution. We have over 1200 hours on our first build and about 250 hours on our second.

Here is the laser diode most of us use.

Nichia NDB7875 445nm 9mm Laser Diode in A Copper Module with Leads Glass Lens | eBay

Here is a very good analog/TTL laser diode driver. We use this one in both of our machines.

https://innolasers.com/shop/index.ph...roller=product

There is allot of information about Laser Diode engraving in these two threads.

Diode Lasers. - Fórum

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-236-1

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, Jep,
    I wish I had a thousand customers like you .

Do you have a link to the PVC material? I'd like to try some.

John

www.picengrave.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff..

I will have a closer look after work..cheers..

And John....
    this is the link to my 2mm thick pvc sheet off ebay....If they don't deliver across the pond I'm sure there will be something similar in the States...

8'x4' 8ftx4ft 8x4 pvc sheet upvc sheet Hygienic Wall Cladding White 2mm Thick | eBay

I also tried 3mm thick but it was not as clear a pic when backlit....

Also make sure you get PURE pvc n not foamex...

cheers and thanks to you both...

Jep

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jep,
    I'll give the PVC a try. I think there is some at a local home supply.
    John

www.picengrave.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Jep,

We tried a different strategy this time. Instead of using an original image and a height map that was generated from it, we used the Swordman height map image you posted to spindle engrave, then edited that height map image to laser the shades. You can see, we fed him allot of Micky D Big Mac's first (changed the aspect ratio to fit our piece of wood) . Of course using a computer generated height map will not have as much detail as using a real photo, but it is so much easier to be able to use this combined CNC technology process this way.

We used Red Oak and my son was able to add the FRC in PEP with his program for the combined file this time.

Here are the results.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-relief-jpg   Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-laser-jpg   Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-engraving-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff....

Nice work and yup... Swordman seems to have put on a few pounds lol

I'm looking at the shading on the red oak combi carving and thinking the first swordman(but with a white background) may have given more detail with less time in photoshop...Its all about trying different things in the early stages after all... :O)

A plaque for a local Chinese restaurant ...here is the heightmap....

Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-1gold2-jpg Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-20140309_070601-jpg Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-20140309_131726-jpg Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-20140309_131847-jpg

The cut was 4mm deep @ 6000rpm(the max my router will do) f1000mm/min and 0.2mm stepover using PicEngravePro 4...

If you alter the text you could always cut n try shading it from just the heightmap(with a light background)and give it to your local Chinese restaurant....could be a free meal in it for you lol...

As for my laser...silly me expected to mount it on my existing spindle housing n let the z axis control the focus(did not realise its the power wattage changes and not the distance from workpiece that does the burning)....will look into it more when I have more spare time...

Cheers again..

Jep

Last edited by freejep; 03-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Jep,

I know what you mean and it was a first try, but I did have better luck with Poplar and just lighten the second image up a little. The Red Oak is grainy which effects the laser engraving. Here is one on Poplar.

Yes, the laser diode' power needs to be varied with analog modulation for this to work. Spindle code and analog laser code generated in PEP are the same format axis movements in the file and will combine properly. The TTL (pulsed) code format is different and it has do be done with a B&W dithered image which will not work.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-dsc00433-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff....

What a difference Poplar makes...great job...

I love experimenting with different materials....but the only timbers in plank form I have at my local yard are oak or pine..
    I'm going to have to try and source some Poplar myself...

Hmmmm yup... laser will have to wait for now...

But once again...I'm just glad you and John got your heads together and you persuaded John to write picengravepro.....
    The ridiculously fast speed that it takes to get from a photo to a cut is unreal....even when the program is over a million lines long.....
    And all this from a program with huge processing power for under $60... :O)

Thanks again you two..

Jep

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Jep.

I found Baltic Birch works the best for analog laser engraving because it burns the easiest and does not have allot of grains. Poplar, I had to bring the lower power up allot to the LD just to start burning the lighter shades.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Tried another one on Poplar. Used the add text option in PEP this time, only in the laser file.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-dsc00434-jpg   Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!-dsc00435-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff...

Great Dragon experiment.....

The Laurel n Hardy height map n merged photo shading technique you first did is still my favourite though(the most difficult one to make)...I suppose its difficult for a reason....if it was easy everyone would do it lol

Keep up with the experimenting...

Jep

Last edited by freejep; 03-15-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!

garcia, I need to learn to d the BAS RELIEF, can you guide me as to the best software to use? I need to do some 3d images.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Share 3D relief (File GreyScan) free!

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    How do you download from that site ? When I click on the download, a notice says something like down for maintenance . Been like that for a week or so. Just curious if it works for anyone else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast