Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity

Thread: Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity

Guys,

I'm afraid that I'm totally lost on this one. I have a series of guitars that I need to do custom engraved control plates for the back of them. I tried using the standard "Pick Guard" material to engrave on - but that was a mess, it melted in spots, was not clean and clear. I have attached an image of a test I got from a local engraver but I want to do them myself - he wants $30.00 each for them, and I need about 50 of them.

I think I found the correct material to buy: http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/engraving- ... indoor.asp

The only engraving bit I currently have is a 90 deg "V"

Here are my questions:

1 - Is the link to the material above the correct material I need to create the cover plate that I have attached in the picture

2 - What engraving bit should I use?

3 - Is there a "Engraving in Plastic 101" somewhere that I can read up on so I'm not quite to ignorant about it?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity-file-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity

If you melted your initial test piece your spindle speed is to fast, or your feed rate is slow. I would try slowing the spindle speed and increasing the feed rate with a single flute tool. Some form of cooling directed at the cutter helps remove heat generated by the engraving process and removes the waste which is important as you do not want to keep re-cutting the already machined chips.

You failed to mention your speed and feed rate, what are you running?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engraving a Guitar Control Cavity

For fine text I would lean towards a 60 degree or 22 degree engrave bit. The 90 degree will be very shallow for the same letter width.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Single edge engraving bit,cool it with air and water mist. Otherwise cool with 50-50 mix of water and dish detergent

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!