dividing and recombining model

Thread: dividing and recombining model

Downloads
    Uploads

Default dividing and recombining model

Hi.
    Newbie.
    I have done some models in rhino5 as part of learning the processes.
    They have 2 2.5 and 3d features.

After cutting some all in 3d,- they worked - the advantages of separating the 2 and 2.5 d parts became clear.

So how do I do that?

I could export an outline as a dxf and cut it but how do i 'export' the 3d parts and hook both parts together for toolpathing correctly on the workpiece? I have seen a vid where the toolpaths are done elswhere and imported - but since VCarve does toolpaths why would it be done this way?
    All help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: dividing and recombining model

Quote Originally Posted by RobSm View Post
    Hi.
    Newbie.
    I have done some models in rhino5 as part of learning the processes.
    They have 2 2.5 and 3d features.

After cutting some all in 3d,- they worked - the advantages of separating the 2 and 2.5 d parts became clear.

So how do I do that?

I could export an outline as a dxf and cut it but how do i 'export' the 3d parts and hook both parts together for toolpathing correctly on the workpiece? I have seen a vid where the toolpaths are done elswhere and imported - but since VCarve does toolpaths why would it be done this way?
    All help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob.
    I'm not really quite sure why you want to split your model, can you give some more detail and possibly post your project? Unless the project is larger than your machine capacity your goal is unclear and if so you should use the 'Tile' command.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not that I want to split it per se , I did things a la vectric double sided leaf bowl tute and I'm trying guitar bodies and necks where there are straight 2d parts and also 3d parts.

Doing the lot as 3d in one model gives sort of ball nosey sides and bottoms to the pockets a straight 'cut' would be cleaner and faster.

It handles everything but in other videos the 2d and 3d cutting are done separately.

I'm using previously completed 3d models - all joined up - and wondered how I'd locate different parts accurately if I went back & started splitting and separating the various steps.

I'm on the wrong computer to upload a model. I will tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

okay here's a pdf.

on this face there is most work could be done by say profile cutting, but then I'd have to swap to 3d to do the slope.

At this point I don't quite know how to do it.
    I want to use the model I have rather than start all over.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dividing and recombining model-headstock-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RobSm View Post
    okay here's a pdf.

on this face there is most work could be done by say profile cutting, but then I'd have to swap to 3d to do the slope.

At this point I don't quite know how to do it.
    I want to use the model I have rather than start all over.

Thanks,
    Rob.
    This component could be machined with a single end mill depending on the width of the slot and diameter of holes. Keep in mine that you should never use standard drills unless you have very good control of your spindle speed. You will of course have to do some manual cleanup at your mounting taps.

I would approach the project in this fashion, these are my thoughts and not necessarily the only way to go........
    1. mill to depth
    2. holes would be next
    3. slot(s) to depth and width
    4. OD profile

Remember you are working in '3' planes so you will have to deal with the steps and manually clean the slope, no biggie.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay...back to the shed )

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen a vid where the toolpaths are done elswhere and imported - but since VCarve does toolpaths why would it be done this way?
    Versions prior to version 8 did not allow importing and toolpathing of 3D models.

The biggest problem that you'll run into is that when you import a 3D model, it comes in centered in the workpiece. So it's very difficult to import models and vectors and maintain alignment.
    Ideally, the model would maintain it's location when imported, which would make it a simple task, but V Carve Pro is not really designed for this kind of work.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)