Newbie Tool for first go at forming

Thread: Tool for first go at forming

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool for first go at forming

Still in relatively early stage of this project but I was wondering if my theory is sound.

Could I take a sheet of Aluminium checker board, drill in some vacuum vents and simply form a plastic sheet over the top?

As far as I am aware, providing the forming conditions are adequate i.e sheet temp and mould temp, this should produce a plastic copy of aluminium check plate, that could be used to clad walls or floors at a fraction of the weight.

Please point out any problems I am overlooking here.

Cheers folks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool for first go at forming

That could work to some extent. But those vents would be deep depressions in the plastic. It would work better if you cast or carved your checker-plate in some porous material like plaster, so the vacuum could suck through it rather than only around the edges.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool for first go at forming

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I was trying to get around having to take a cast but if it is going to ruin the quality of the finished part then I guess I'll just have to muddle through.

If anyone fancies donating a nice FDM 3D printer for me to print my tools from I'll be more than happy to accept.