Sticky mold

Thread: Sticky mold

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sticky mold

I've been given a mold to vacuum form off of that the mold-maker covered in spray paint. The spray paint melts at vacuum former temperatures, glueing itself to the styrene I'm molding atop it. Freeing the mold up from the styrene wrecks the styrene.

I've gotten some mileage out of the bubba-answer of just spraying the mold down with Pam High Temperature Grilling Formula. Yee haw. But the paint still melts through that and gets stuck to the styrene. (Less and less with each job, as there's less of it left.)

I'd love to hear the real way to redeem a bad mold that gets stuck to the thermoplastic.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe try scrubbing it down with paint thinner and hooking up compressed air to the vacuum line?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sticky mold

Quote Originally Posted by baudot View Post
    I've been given a mold to vacuum form off of that the mold-maker covered in spray paint. The spray paint melts at vacuum former temperatures, glueing itself to the styrene I'm molding atop it. Freeing the mold up from the styrene wrecks the styrene.

I've gotten some mileage out of the bubba-answer of just spraying the mold down with Pam High Temperature Grilling Formula. Yee haw. But the paint still melts through that and gets stuck to the styrene. (Less and less with each job, as there's less of it left.)

I'd love to hear the real way to redeem a bad mold that gets stuck to the thermoplastic.
    is the mold EXACTLY size specific, doest it fit into another part or can it vary a bit? the reason I'm asking is you can do a really thin .(020 or thinner if you can heat it without burning it) piece of styrene over the mold cut the excess off and leave it on the mold. then go with your production piece that way it will not stick to your mold. I have done it that way on a painted mold and a couple of times to UP size a mold due to excess shrinkage of the plastic. (added 1/8 to one of them)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sticky mold

sand the paint off