Need Help! Do I need respirators for thermoforming machine operators?

Thread: Do I need respirators for thermoforming machine operators?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Do I need respirators for thermoforming machine operators?

I NEED HELP!

I am a small business owner making specialty motorcycle parts thermoforming ABS. I have been doing this for over 4 years but now I am getting bigger and hired part-time employee. Employee does not like the smell of the ABS in oven. I have found minor MSDS sheets none which pertain to theromoforming ABS. Do I need respirators for the employee and what kind?

Finding good employee has been hard enough, loosing good one.

john

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MSDS sheet should detail all hazards as to chemical exposure and toxic effects. Sounds like you need better ventilation. OSHA has rules as to number of air exchanges per hour, according to what processes. I worked in a City shop where due to poor ventilation, OSHA would only allow Fluorescent trouble lights due to their belief of explosion hazard.

Organic vapor mask (not the paper masks) like an auto paint shop uses should do, again check the msds, it should detail. BTW get the MSDS from your plastic supplier, give your employee a copy too.

We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I have read over many times MSDS on the ABS sheet material. Although it says there should be no inhalation hazard under normal conditions, it says fumes may cause minor side effects like headache, nausea, drowsiness. There is nothing listing air ventilation or air replacement standards. I use a 2 ft x 3 ft small thermoform machine in a 1200 sq/ft building and have used this machine for 4 years myself in much smaller location. Up to a few months ago I made everything myself and only hired part-time person to give me a break from the 80 hour work weeks.

I have signed up for the free OSHA consulting to help me figure out what I need. I have spent many hours trying to navigate the website and find what I need with no avail. So I will get the free help. I have purchased a P100 breather mask, but I guess I will go back to working alone until I can afford expensive equipment.

Having a very small business is nice working directly with customers but is sure lonely trying to grow. My hat rack is full !