Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?

Thread: Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?

Hi guys I have built a vacuum former and having some troubles with it being the first one I have made.

The specifications are as follows, the platen is 400mm (16inch) x 250mm (10inch) so not really a large unit.
    I have a 3cfm vacuum pump with a 62litre (14ish Gallon) reserve tank which I have made from PVC pipe with endcaps and brass fittings.

The problem Iam having is that it doesnt have enough suction when pulling the parts and they arnt coming out great. I decided to try a shop vac also which I must admit has seen better days, so the suction isnt great. So with these combined it still isnt working great.

I was thinking of maybe using a dust extractor and found one that is rated at 500cfm. Before I go and spend anymore money what do u guys think. Has anyone used a dust extractor with a vacuum former with success?

Here are some pics of my rig

Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?-img_0575-jpg

Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?-img_0577-jpg

Dust Extractor Anyone Used one for vacuum former ?-img_0578-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen it done. But look for one that is really good. Reasonable volume, but mainly with higher vac-pressure. Most shop-vac are high volume, but not a super high pressure. The Festool vac's seem to be pretty good, but pricy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm, that small a platten and that big a tank you should have no trouble. What is the vac level reading before you pull the trigger? I'm guessing you have a leak somewhere?

Dust extractor won't work any better (and probably worse) than a shop vac.... they suck a lot of volume but not much pressure. I have a 24x42 platten and I use one of those mini "stinger" handheld shop vacs.

In other words... you have something else wrong.

Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

TroyO I am getting around 25 before I pull the trigger. Have checked the system and I do have a minor leak which Iam usure where it is coming from.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The red cap or bung on the top of your vac pump is that vented to the air if not that should not be in that hole as I suspect that is a vac vent hole.
    As Troyo says that pump will do fine for that size platen, I have a system very similar and it works great.
    What plastic are you tryting to pull.