automotive tail lights - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: automotive tail lights

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paolo, you have hurt my feelings . BTW after having seen your site url posted I recognize your machine. You also use Mach as your software, if i remember correctly. Can you address my post a couple up from you last?

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Can you address my post a couple up from you last?" ...
    Hi Mike, I'm sorry but I'm not sure to have correctly understood your statement.
    Could you please ask me again with other words ?
    (language issues ... ) :-)

Thanks

Paolo

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Paolo,

I apologize for not making direct reference to the post I asked you about. Following is the post I wanted you to reply to.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    Wow........I can hardly believe I got this kind of response.

Skippy you first. This is not for my project. I was approached by a potential customer who suggested I look into doing replica tail lights for a certain model of a certain Italian made car that might or might not have a rearing horse in it's advertisement! Now was that clear enough.

The problem is that factory lights, a set of four, costs in excess of $600 US. There are some of the Ricer lights that are being cut apart and used but the size is not correct as well as once they are cut they don't seal too well!

pavel59 I cannot thank you enough for your posting here and the info you shared. Is there a remote chance you might already produce such a lens and or housing? If not is there a chance you might want to?

I have no idea as to how big the market is so I can't help you out there. I can tell you they are using the imported aftermarket stuff and getting four lights for less than $200. If you think this is something that might be feasible either post here or pm me and I will email you. I just don't want to be a bother if it is not going to be profitable for all involved.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aha .. now I got it. I apologize, I didn't read it before, I just focused on the other post from toneV8.

I think I understand which Italian car you're speaking about. :-)

If you give me the model there's a good chance that I may have access to the original parts but not from the retail.

But if you're interested in more than a single set of lamps, then it would be nearly impossible to get them directly.
    It may also depend on the exact model you need.

I would suggest moving these arguments on direct email, it's quite a sensitive argument and it would easily go O.T.
    You can contact me at pavel@korumdesign.com

Paolo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paolo: which material is on pic1 and pic2. Can you make sublimating aluminium or silver in high-vacuum chambers proces - chromed. How much cost to you produce tail lamps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hm ... I missed more than one message.
    c-c-cncboy you're absolutely correct, electro-forming is an excellent method to produce replicas from hard to find items and it's still widely used in the aftermarket for historical or rare models.
    Only the metal of excellence is Nickel and it's often back-supported by copper (quicker to grow and much cheaper).

BTW, this same technique is also being used to produce the catadiotrics (prismatic diffusers), there's a major manufacturer in Canada producing the diffuser plates which are then inserted into the molds.
    They're very expensive.

Electro-forming could be a good way to replicate the lenses, but I would suggest a different approach for the reflector.
    A quick aluminium mold would work well.

Paolo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the materials used on Pic1 and Pic2 are machinable slabs (boards) commonly known withe the commercial name Ureol (I think it's from Ciba) or Cibatool.
    It's - basically - filled urethane (casted and post-cured) that you can purchase from several suppliers.
    The light gray is a low density (180/200 Kgmc), the other is a medium density (around 400 Kgmc) and you can get up to 2000 Kgmc.

It's supplied in boards (50, 75, 100 and 150mm the most common thickness) but sometimes it's also available in blocks (up to 500mm and more).
    You can glue boards together with cyanoacrilate.

It's very easy to machine and it usually doesn't wear the tools.

The higher densities are also used for pressure-formng (prototyping or short runs) metal sheets. A supplier told me they were able to form a 20/10 (2mm) thick sheet.
    You'll not be able to cut metal, of course, but a contouring laser will do.

About the second question, it would be possible to metalize some parts here.

And about the cost of those lamps, well, I don't have the final costs of those parts but I can tell you that the process is economically competitive (compared to other RP techniques) but due to the limited number of parts, to the big amount of manual labour, and to some other factors, the final cost of an assembled lamp set is quite high.
    It's not comparable to market prices of course.

Paolo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you tell me where you buy Ureol and how much cost some standard dimensiones like 500x500x50mm. Does this web page 1 for Ciba frim and can you tell me direct name for Ureol. I find much products for some industry. Can you put direct link for Ureol.
    http://www.cibasc.com/
    http://www.cibasc.com/pf/

Does it possible make mold from Ureol for fiberglass and carbon fiber method with vacuum bagging.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12