help with first vacuum form 1/8" acrylic

Thread: help with first vacuum form 1/8" acrylic

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default help with first vacuum form 1/8" acrylic

Hello,
    wondering if someone can help me out on a project:

We have at work some decorative pool lights which are discontinued and one of the glas bowls broke. So, yesterday i built a vacuum former and picked up a sheet of 1/8" acrylic. The light im trying to form is approx 5" at the base and opens up to about 10" at the top and is about 15" high. Will this shape be doable to form? I think last night when i heated up the sheet i did so too fast and it just bubbled and didnt stretch hardly at all. From the little reading i have been doing so far, it sounds like i should turn the heat down and let it even preheat for a length of time? This wil lbe done in a oven at home approx 23x24"
    I REALLY appreciate any help.
    thanks!

Ryan

edit: it is plexiglass im using.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ryanh0190; 10-19-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ryan,

my name is Garrett i work for a company called Masterpiece Models thermoforming is something we frequently do. after reading your post i wanted to contact you in regards to your project. is this something you are planning on making more than just a replacement piece for? if so i am positive we can produce these parts for a reasonable price extremely quick. if you are just looking for tips i would be more than willing to lend some advice for attempting this at home. however this process you are attempting undergo requires carefully controlled temperatures and an even supply ot vacuum unless your drapeforming. also from what i gather this part sounds like it may need to be done in two pieces. if you want to send me a pic of the part and give me some more informaiton on your production plans i can lend as much help as possible.
    jolleygreeengiant@hotmial.com hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
    Garrett

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads