Newbie question

Thread: Newbie question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie question

Hello.

I really don't know where to post this, so I just picked a place. Mods can move if need be.

I've been a small time machinist with old worn out lathes, and id like to experiment with cnc cutting.

I have an idea with programming, and really interested in trying some small projects with a small home built rig. No more then 12 X 12 inch with at most 4" of spindle drop just for small engraving.

Building something to mount the steppers on isn't the issue. I'm confused and trying to figure out all the components and protocol needed to make this happen.

I'd like to stay with Linux and usb. Either desktop and usb, or my raspberry pi 2 and usb.

Next is breakout board? Controller board? Obviously I need usb, so TinyG CNC Controller Board v8 ID: 1749 - $165.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits??

Next question is powering the steppers, I sourced some $12 peewee. Do they need their own power source? I doubt they can pull from that controller board? Or does the controller board get power from else where?

Spindle I was going to wire up a dremel or something.

Limit switches, I have a few that can be wired as normally closed.

As I mentioned, construction isn't the issue as much as motors, board, supply, and usb/software will be.

Links, tips, and advice is appreciated. I'd love to expand this hobby as a small income to a division of my company.

Thanks.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by linux4cnc; 05-02-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie question

So maybe an expert will chime in after but...

Linuxcnc can I believe run without a Break out board (bob) but a Bob makes connections easier and might add functionality. Alternatively you could use arduino/grbl (or tinyg) which is kind of via USB.

Both would then feed step and direction to stepper drivers (which vary from cncshield v3/v4 types to standalone drivers like geckos, leadshine, and many others. The steppers would be powered by a separate power supply 12v to 80v (24v is common) depending on what the max your drivers can handle and your preference.

Limits would be wired on to the Bob, cncshield or straight to the db25 printer cable depending on the route you take.

Not sure about the Linux or usb. Usb is not recommended for actually controlling a cnc but it can be used to interface with say an arduino running grbl or another control board (which in essence are then little computers combined with a break out board sort of like tinyg).

Linux in itself doesn't run anything and could run Linuxcnc or a program that sends files to a grbl system.

I'm sure there are many other variations too...

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an idea it was like a building a house or an engine.

Nearly unlimited directions and options, to essentially live in or make power to the wheels.

Guess Ill have to investigate the options available as I work my way from the computer to the machine bed...

If there's a link or something that explains the necessary components and options at each stage would be helpful.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

LinuxCNC is not compatible with a USB connection. It has to utilize the parallel port or other peripheral cards, like the Mesa cards. Jog wheel and other peripherals can be used on the USB ports.

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNCKnowledgeBase

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are my usb options? Raspberry pi 2 running rasberian with emc to push it via USB to a tinyg card, which then shoots to steppers and drivers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Raspberry Pi Alamode CNC Controller - All

look at this setup.

I have a raspberry pi. is all need to copy this design is the 2 other boards? in addition to some stepper motors? But I still think I need drivers? there's just a few pieces of the puzzle I'm not familiar with ,and seems to be poorly documented, or easily overlooked.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by linux4cnc View Post
    What are my usb options? Raspberry pi 2 running rasberian with emc to push it via USB to a tinyg card, which then shoots to steppers and drivers?

Or just rpi to grbl connected to usb and using one of the many gcode senders (some Web based like chilippr) of which I am sure a good chunk work on Linux.

What you send seems OK except I don't know where emc/linuxcnc fits in. That parts redundant if using grbl, or if not redundant it can be done in other ways.

Unless linuxcnc can also do cam work (gcode creation) but I thought it was a controller (run gcode).

And anywhere you see me say grbl it could also read tinyg (using its built in stepper drivers or not). They fit the same role in the work flow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, explanation is helping me understand.

I figured emc controls grbl.

Downloads
    Uploads

Raspberry Pi Alamode CNC Controller - All

look at this setup.

I have a raspberry pi. is all need to copy this design is the 2 other boards? in addition to some stepper motors? But I still think I need drivers? there's just a few pieces of the puzzle I'm not familiar with ,and seems to be poorly documented, or easily overlooked.
    Maybe just the three boards. It works with 3 boards for smaller Steppers (most nema 17 and some nema 23).

If the drivers on a cnc shield v3 or gshield are big enough (they max out at 2.2amps/2.5 amps respectively with cooling) them yes a three board stack works. The a la mode board is just a specialized arduino clone to work with rpi. So it makes it easier but any rpi combined with many arduino uno clones combined with cnc shield v3/gshield/ external stepper drives should be similar.

What amps are the Steppers you are using (or planning to use)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, explanation is helping me understand.

I figured emc controls grbl.

Not that I'm aware of. Think of grbl/TinyG /mach3/emc as all the same role. Tinyg just complicates it by being hardware too whereas the other are just software running either on a pc or an arduino.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PNEQI7W..._2t4jxb4801ZJF

I was going to use 2 small ones to shuffle the bed, and if I keep my spindle arrangement light enough, probably for z axis too.

I'd rather gamble experimenting on a $400 project. I've wasted more money on dumber things.

I plan to make everything out of aluminum railing.

I'm just confused on the terminology, and how the words are universal or bleed, drivers, steppers, shield, controller, etc etc, and then what software/hardware does exactly what and where it's needed or not.

Appreciate the patience!

I plan to experiment small and make desk trinkets, business door tags, engraving.

Wood, plastic, I guess metal if the spindle I decide to use has balls enough and I take super slow cuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you building again. The amps are fine for the cheap hardware (cnc shield v3 or gshield) but performance looks very low for torque.

OK looked back, might be fine for dremel engraving. The engraver project I'm doing has stock 200oz Steppers on it for a table just over double yours. I think they are a little high as everything is overbuilt on them. I went with pibot kit (which despite the pi, is arduino) but for you I'd really consider gshield or tinyg if OK with your budget. They look more thought out. I just liked pibot as the drivers are a little higher rated in theory and I needed some limit switches that came with the kit.

But pibot is a bit unknown in the community so far it seems.

Pibot site is useful for its diagrams of the parts of the system.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know it's frowned upon, bit I'm going to do the ready bolt and nut tricks just to experiment and make some quick return on investment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know it's frowned upon, bit I'm going to do the ready bolt and nut tricks just to experiment and make some quick return on investment.

Unfortunately I've no idea what you mean (except for the last roi bit)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ready bolt couplered to motor, and a nut static on the bed. Wears fast, back lash, etc. Etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, doesn't bother me. Some people go nuts on that.