RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.

Thread: RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.

Good afternoon folks,

I created two 2-piece forms. Both are under 100mm in length so these aren't large parts. Smallest radius is 0.25mm and largest is 10mm I believe.

I'd like to have these milled from clear acrylic, if possible. The parts must be able to get wet on a regular basis, be nonreactive, and (I would prefer) transparent enough for me to keep an eye on the materials in the mold as I form them. Finish doesn't necessarily need to be polished, but it shouldn't have ridges that might make an impression on the materials placed into the form.

I'm looking forward to your estimates.

Cheers,

Joe

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.-screen-shot-2017-08-23-12-37-a   RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.-screen-shot-2017-08-23-12-37-a   RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.-screen-shot-2017-08-23-12-37-a  
    Last edited by josephmartins; 08-23-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs. Clear acrylic preferred

What are you planning to cast into this mold? Is it some kind of press-mold, for a dough-like material? If not, you'll have to provide a way to pour stuff into the cavity. Why have you given it that odd pointy bottom on one piece?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I should have mentioned...it's for wet-forming specific weights of leather. Scraps of wet leather are placed between the forms, pressed into place, and allowed to dry. Ordinarily this is done with very simple wooden forms. I feel like I need something more reliable...I could be wrong.

The chamfers on the top and bottom pieces make it easier to clamp the form together and apply pressure into the back corner where it's needed most. I'd like to keep the forms as simple as possible (no other fasteners/inserts/etc).

Last edited by josephmartins; 08-23-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

In that case, I'd suggest making them out of metal, not acrylic. Wet-forming of leather works much better if the forms are heated, but acrylic won't stand for that. Also, it is more fragile than you'd want for this duty. You could get away with aluminum, but brass would probably be better. A hot press (like this one: VULCANIZERS | Conquest ) would make this go smoother, if you're doing a lot of it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.

My concern with metals is any potential reaction--particularly unwanted reactions--with the tannins in both veg and chrome-tanned leather. Sometimes controlled spotting and discoloration is desired...but in this case I'd like to minimize the possibility. That and I can't see the material as it is pressed into the form...to know if I should apply tension in spots where unwanted wrinkles and creases might occur.

Having said that, I'm still open to trying other materials including nonreactive metals, delrin, etc if they make more sense for this application.

Ordinarily, I am forming the leather over a wooden form (an open one-piece form, as opposed to pressing it between two halves) so I can see and adjust the entire piece. So this, for me, is an experiment to see what will work and what will not. Whatever works best is what I'll use for future forms. I could discover that I'm over-thinking things and that a simple metal or wood form works perfectly fine with certain precautionary measures to keep the leather from creasing in the form. A few of the pros claim that word works best because it absorbs some of the moisture from the leather. That certainly seems reasonable, but given the precision of my part I am concerned that swelling might affect the outcome.

The other aspect of this is my focus on hand-made. I'm familiar with quite a lot of the equipment available, but my goal is to perform as much of the manufacturing process by hand. As it is, a machined form will be quite a departure from my hand-carved forms, but this is the only step in the entire process that uses something other than ordinary hand tools.

Last edited by josephmartins; 08-23-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RFQ: 2 piece form/mold, 2 pairs.

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk