Need some CNC Turning done

Thread: Need some CNC Turning done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need some CNC Turning done

So I am looking for someone local to me (Los Angeles) if possible. This project is in the early stages, pre-prototype. I need the pieces to do additional r&d. And of course, the quality of the work will play a big role when it goes into production. This is just a small part of the project (literally, it is one piece out of several, and it is the simplest part). I have no experience in machining and was struggling to call and email the shops that I could find via craigslist/yelp/google so I decided to come here. I am looking to get 4 pieces of each design (i have 2 designs, both are very similar) so 8 pieces total. And of course I want them as soon as possible.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some CNC Turning done-fv-5mm-09-29-14_rev-1-pdf   Need some CNC Turning done-fv-1-00mm-09-29-14_rev-1-a  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need some CNC Turning done

oops, forgot to add this would be 316 SS

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to re-think that 1mm thread pitch on the second part. The way your drawing reads, the wall thickness will be about .003" if someone cuts a sharp V thread.

Later,
    Charlie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice Charlie Gary. Did not realize that. If so, I will probably stick to the .5mm thread pitch. The main thing I am looking for, are high quality, butter smooth threading, and flushness (if that's even a word)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only quote i've gotten so far, is $62/piece. Which honestly seems kind of high to me. Am I just crazy? I've emailed and called at least 20 people/companies, and most said they would need to see what I wanted to make (which if I had what i wanted to make I wouldnt need to make it) or it goes to voicemail or no replies to emails.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the price you got is pretty fair given the part quantity. Something like this will have more time wrapped up in all the overhead functions like job planning, programming, set up, clean up, inspection, packaging and shipping than it will in the actual making of the parts.

Later,
    Charlie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input, it is greatly valued. oh and the quote for 62 did not include packaging and/or shipping

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's a pain part to make not cheap material low quantity makes it expensive.