I need advice on servo drive control and software

Thread: I need advice on servo drive control and software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need advice on servo drive control and software

First, let me plead my ignorance - I know little of what I'm about to ask.

I have an older cnc router that uses a PC with a SCSI card to operate the servo drive unit(?). I had some work done on the PC and the tech who did the work mentioned its SCSI card and how difficult that might be to replace if it were to fail. Fine. At that point I contacted the manufacturer of the original drive unit (?) and asked about an upgrade. Sure, they had one that ran from a CAT5 (? - network style of connection). Cool, I'm all there.

I received the unit and it's been hell ever since. I've lost time, money and now: patience. To be fair I think the place is trying but I can't keep blocking off production time for them to poke around and try to find the problems.

Having said that, if I step back, I tend to think that I don't necessarily "need" to use the same brand of control as the original to operate the motors on the machine. Yay or Nay? They're just servo motors after all (?).

If nay....................................any suggestions and what would you do? I like running from a PC, it works for me.

I use Enroute to define the cuts and then send it to the actual cutting program, all on a PC. From there the PC directs the servo drive unit, it cuts and I'm happy and so are my guy's. Works like a charm, the original one that is. The original SCSI card wearin' unit is now hooked back up and humming along. The new improved model is sitting on a cart and looking dejected.

What do I do?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need advice on servo drive control and software

Without knowing a lot more about your machine I wouldn't even know where to begin.

You really have to do the research to make sure that the new drive unit will run the servo motor. But in this case you were relying on the manufacturer for advice and that should be good enough.

It really sounds like what you got was a new machine controller rather than a actual servo drive unit. The SCSI card combined with the software proabaly is the existing controller. Moving to an ethernet system would require a software change on the computer end. It really sounds like you have a rather expensive paperweight right now. I think I would be looking to get my money back from the manufacturer.

There are a number of universal retrofit controller packages available, many will work with servo systems. I have done retrofits on many machines, but you have to do your homework before you jump.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know where to begin either. LOL

The drive unit was made (offered) by the same company that made the machine in the first place. I wouldn't say "turn-key" but certainly deemed compatible.

I don't know the terms really of what I need. What I need is the "box-of-fun" between my PC and the motors themselves. I'll go with machine controller as per your post.

Roger that on the software change going to the ethernet connection. That's kinda one of the rubs with this. The software takes a crap in mid-stroke. I don't make high margin stuff that I can throw away if it's a no-go. It's gotta start the cut and finish the cut so I can cut some more.

Expensive paperweight it right. Reaching for the Tannerite about now. Yeah, money back. That's going to be an interesting conversation.

I realize I have to do my homework, that's kinda what this is. Where or who do I start with? Apparently I'm looking for a "machine controller". Cool. Point me in a direction, please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't you tell us what you have? It makes answering questions a lot easier.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, let's start with what machine you have. That would be a big help in trying to figure out a solution. Then figuring out how the existing controls are configured would be the next step..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine I have is a 48" x 96" cnc router table. It uses servo motors to control each axis of which there are 3: X, Y and Z. I control the spindle with a toggle switch! Simple stuff.

I'm looking for recommendations on the "machine controller" and associated software that resides between the PC and servo motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSun View Post
    The machine I have is a 48" x 96" cnc router table. It uses servo motors to control each axis of which there are 3: X, Y and Z. I control the spindle with a toggle switch! Simple stuff.

I'm looking for recommendations on the "machine controller" and associated software that resides between the PC and servo motors.
    What is needed to move forward is what are the servo motors and the Drives, this determines what you would need as a control, so ( 2 ) main parts servo motor spec's and Drive Spec's the machine description does not matter

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, now we're getting somewhere. I get the servo motors specs question. What do you mean by "drive specs" specifically? I don't know that I understand the term entirely.

Downloads
    Uploads

The servo motors are connected to servo drives, the servo drives are controlled by the controller, which in turn is (or is controlled by) the computer. The controller tells the drives what to do, and the drives run the motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The servo motors are connected to servo drives, the servo drives are controlled by the controller, which in turn is (or is controlled by) the computer. The controller tells the drives what to do, and the drives run the motors.
    Ok. These "servo drives", are they typically attached directly to the servo motor themselves or are they located in the "machine controller"? To say it another way, where are they physically located? It's one or the other as all I have is wire between the two.

When I think of the servo motors themselves I'm basically thinking of the entire unit that is attached to the X the Y or the Z screw. Should I think of these as really the servo motor and servo drive combined?

BTW - I hope I wasn't rude in previous posts. Yesterday was not a nice day. I think the company who's trying to get their equipment rolling is as frustrated as I am. I make equipment too and I've been there, and it ain't fun. I think my questions involve a base level where manufacturer is irrelevant and I see no gain.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSun View Post
    Cool, now we're getting somewhere. I get the servo motors specs question. What do you mean by "drive specs" specifically? I don't know that I understand the term entirely.
    If you can't figure it out take lost of photos, of inside the electrical cabinet, I may be able to see what the servo Drives are or point out where they are so you can look for a name and spec's, the servo motor spec's will also give me a clue as to what you have

Mactec54