North America New to cnc and I need HELP

Thread: New to cnc and I need HELP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to cnc and I need HELP

I have a used cnc router I have no idea the make no markings. The cp is running XP with mach3, cut2d, photo V carve. If I working with cut2d the cnc runes good. If I use photo V carve cnc router will work fine for about 45 min. and then it goes nuts cutting up, down and across my wood. So I thought it was the time I was running the cnc. I ran same g code and stop it ever 15 min and restart it work good for 30 min. and then goes nuts. So I thought heat and put fan on cp and controller worked great cut for hour and half. So about 1 hour later cnc cool down I started to cut and about 5 min. it goes cutting nuts. Can any one help me, scared to cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to cnc and I need HELP

Heat sounds like a probable cause. Are the drivers mounted to a finned aluminum heat sink with thermal paste? Is there a fan playing on them directly? Cooling the computer won't hurt, but the drivers need to stay cool as well.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input my control box is cooled by floor fan about 4 feet from it and the box is opened. It has no built in fan or aluminum heat sink no room in box. So if I need fans I have to get bigger box. The control box looks home made I have pictures if that would help? I know it sounds like I am answering my own question with no fans in control box but just making sure going in right directions. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

If the floor fan helped it work longer, that indicates that more direct cooling might solve the problem. Yes, a fan built into a vented box, that blows past a finned aluminum plate (you can make one by cutting channels in a piece of thick aluminum) which the drivers contact intimately (which is how the thermal paste helps) would be a place to start.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Heat is certainly a consideration. The other possibility is that Windows is getting busy with something else and forgets it's supposed to be running a machine. I wonder how much Windows junk is running in the background? You might type ''MSCONFIG'' in the Run box and turn off anything that is not needed.

Downloads
    Uploads

i love usa .. and wanna live there

;(

Downloads
    Uploads

make sure your power features on the computer don't get reduced after a certain amount of time (don't remember what it is called), but your biggest factor is that the computer is going to sleep while cutting.

Downloads
    Uploads

sounds like your issues pop up when the computer goes to sleep. 30 to 45 min ish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Or another is the update feature. I hate it. Turn updates off, set your power saving to off, and sleep never.