Looking for some help building 1st cnc

Thread: Looking for some help building 1st cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Looking for some help building 1st cnc

Hello all,

My name is Desmond and I own a small welding business in Arkansas. I'm looking to build my first CNC plasma/router table.

I've been researching for a while, but still having trouble coming up with all the answers on how to build my own table.

So far I've gathered that ordering a controller and motor set from Candcnc is the way to go. I looked at precision plasmas gantry systems, but was hoping there was a cheaper option for me to build one myself. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I can handle making the water table I'm just lost on the best way to get a good gantry going.

I'm planning on putting a router or 80amp plasma cutter on it. Total size is either going to be 4x8 or 5x10.

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for some help building 1st cnc

Start reading through all the build threads here. And don't buy anything until you've spent at least 2-3 months reading.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello brov i'm from Algeria and i'm currently working on Cnc industries so i'm interesting on ur idea i can help where we start

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its been a bit since my last update but heres what I ended up doing. ger21's advice to wait 2-3 months before ordering anything was pretty good there is a lot of research that has to go into creating the perfect machine for your needs and keeping it on budget. I tried to make my machine strong, upgradable, and large enough to keep me from out growing quickly.

Video:

10.5 ft x 5.5 ft cnc

Everlast Power Plasma 80s
    PowerPlasma 80S - Plasma Cutters | Everlast Generators

CandCNC 200lb plug and run system - Stepper Motors - 5 axis
    https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/plazpak-1b/

3in x 3in sq tube body. 3/16th's thick.

Mounts are from an ebay store called CutMetals. I had him custom make me an adaption of his design to fit 3 in tubing. I had to extended the bolts to hold more rollers than is seen in the link below. Each of those single rollers is now 3 rollers. I had to do this for stability and because the edges of the 3x3in tubing is rounded and the original design falls off the edge.

DIY Gantry kit for CNC Plasma table, router cutting fits Nema 23 stepper motors | eBay

For the drive system I chose a rack and pinion setup.
    20 pitch. 20 degree.
    Martin TS2020 Spur Gear, 20° Pressure Angle, High Carbon Steel, Inch, 20 Pitch, | eBay

and

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro-ge...-52-p-239.html

I also purchased a nema 34 belt reduction system, but I have chosen not to use it until I have figured out how to use the basic rack and pinion.
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro-ra...-34-p-226.html

Whats left:
    -Adjustable Feet
    -Figuring out how to use mach 3
    -Possibly adding a motor to other side so the y axis movements dont have as much extra wiggling. I will know more as I get everything dialed in and tightened up.
    - Mount Z axis
    -Mount wire guides and thread wires through it
    -Belt reduction kit at some point
    - Water table needs to be created by fully welding the cutting area, adding a hose down below, adding a air valve, adding tank.
    -Build overhead gantry to move material to the table. 5x10 sheets get heavy fast.

--------------------

The one part I'm a but stumped is the CNC controls. I have an everlast plasma cutter and it uses a 12pin port to connect to the cnc system, however the CandCNC uses the hyperthem ports and they dont match up. I cant seem to find a single cable that is made for this 12 pin port. At this point I'm just trying to find a 12 pin cable for any system just to cut and splice in the wires where I need them. I've found a few other people trying to figure this out on other forms and the only solution that I've seen is a guy just pushing the wires into the back of the machine to connect it and that seems a little shady given how expensive all this stuff is.

Anyone know where I can get the right cable? or the ends so I can build my own?

If i cant figure this out my other thought was to open the machine up, splice into the wires coming off of the 12pin port and wiring in a hypertherm port so I can use the regular CandCNC plug. The only problem with this is that it would surely void my warranty. The machine is still covered for a few years so this is not ideal. I plan to use the plasma for the cnc 99% of the time, but I do have an extra torch and wanted the option to just unplug it from the cnc system and use it elsewhere in the shop.