Romaxx cnc machine has arrived!

Thread: Romaxx cnc machine has arrived!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Romaxx cnc machine has arrived!

Here's a quick first impression of the Romxx cnc machine.

The Romaxx CNC machine arrived last Thursday. Finally had time last night to get a table built and, with the neighbors help, got it up on the table. Total time- payment made July 7th, arrived August 25th

First impressions, not that I really know what to look for, but here's what stands out to me.

Solid. It weighs 175 pounds. There are square tube cross pieces under the mdf about every 4 or 5 inches, so the frame isn't going to have much, if any, flex. I do have two bearings on one side of the gantry that I have to adjust. I hope that I won't have to be constantly adjusting and tightening them. We'll see. They're not seated on the rail so that side of the gantry has some play in it. The other side is rock solid. At least that's a super easy fix. The porter cable 892 router needed to have a rail removed (two screws) from the housing, and there are two little nubby things on the housing that prevented it from going into the bracket that was made to hold the PC 892 router. Only way I could get it to fit was to cut one of them off. Fit perfect once it was cut off.

On the romaxx web site, on the Faq page, it talks about what a closed loop system is. Because I didn't find an option to buy the closed loop system, and there are no limit switches visible in any of the pictures, I assumed it came with the closed loop system since, again, it wasn't an option to purchase. After I received the cnc I emaild Ron about the two serial ports on the front of the control panel, and if my computer needed two serial ports for the close loop system. He informed me that the closed loop system wasn't available as an option any longer and to ignore the second parallel port. Kind of strange...

I have limit switches so the first thing I'm going to do is install them somehow. I don't trust myself yet to not send one of the axis past its limit, have a hard stop crash, and tear it up. I would have paid for him to put limit switches on if I had known it wasn't a closed loop system or that it didn't come with limit switches.

The 4th axis is friggin heavy! It also doesn't come with a chuck, which has nothing to do with ron, or romaxx, and may be the way it is no matter where you buy a 4th axis. A 3" chick on ebay, to the door, is about $90. The 4th axis alone, without a chuck, is a $1400 option. It also delayed the shipping time by two weeks as the supplier had to ship it to Ron before he could ship everything to me. Total time from payment to delivery was 7 weeks.

Packaging. It's securely screwed down to the pallet and and a seriously thick cardboard box that was metal banded around the whole thing. The 4th axis was in its own crazy thick box that was shrink wrapped to the table. Nothing on that pallet was going to slide around and get damaged. As far as how it was packed, I don't know how he could have done it any better. It was shipped by Dana freight, had no visible dings on the box, so they did a good job in not banging it up. Thank you

I own a bunch of computers but not one of them has a db25 port! Ordered a card off ebay for $5, be here by Thursday. Until then, it's just a sexy paper weight.

So far, here where I stand, and what I think. This machine is beautiful. Gold anodized aluminum, on a black frame, with the steel rails...it just looks solid and ready to go. The front control panel is clean, and simple. Couldn't have been shipped any safer then what it was. Here's a huge thing for me. Ron has always answers my calls, I've never had to leave a message. He's answered every one of my emails within hours, if not sooner. Customer service is, unfortunate, a dying business practice. Ron has gone way beyond answering my many questions. The limit switch thing isn't that big of an issue. The website is a little misleading, but, other then it costing me a bit of time, adding the switches shouldn't be a problem. Not having a chuck for the 4th axis, which again has nothing to do with ron, or romaxx, may be the norm when buying a 4th axis from anywhere. Personally, for $1400, I think it should have had one, but that's just me and I may be wrong to think it should have had one included.

Bottom line so far, 100% happy with it. Once the card for my comp gets here I'll fire it up and see how it does. I have a bunch of pics and we're going to have a few videos we'll post on YouTube. I'll link them once they're up.