New Machine Build Good method to maximize X-axis for fixed gantry router?

Thread: Good method to maximize X-axis for fixed gantry router?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good method to maximize X-axis for fixed gantry router?

Hi All,

I’m building my first CNC machine... a router with fixed gantry, using a HobbyCNC PRO Kit, 305 oz-in motors, very heavy, machined aluminum alloy rails from a Cardiac Cath Lab, and two complete 36″ long, 2-start 1/2″ x 10 lead screw fixtures. I will greatly appreciate thoughts, constructive criticism, and input from anybody willing to share their knowledge… Here’s my plan:

My goal is a work area roughly 30″ x 18″ using my two 36″ lead screw assemblies for the X and Y axis. I have all the parts, but lack experience and knowledge of making and using a CNC router.

An 18″ Y-axis is really more than I need, but came up with a plan to maximize the X-axis…

If I made a work table/carriage for the X-axis with 4 linear bearing trolleys on fully supported rails, could I mount the lead nut near the end of the table to push/pull the entire length of the lead screw, and get ~30″ of travel (+/-, depending on length of the trolleys)? Hopefully the simple "drawing" attached will make this idea more clear than the description alone...

Has anybody tried this method (haven't seen a similar plan)? Are there problems inherent with this design? Any special considerations for this set-up? (I’m OK with the “wasted” footprint space in favor of simple design and increased rigidity.)