Problem One shot oiler

Thread: One shot oiler

Downloads
    Uploads

Default One shot oiler

Hey people, need some info/help

Several years ago, I bought a one shot oiler from Enco. It is NOT the Bijur name brand and recently, I found I was having problems oiling my system. Simply put, I would push the handle and it would not show any amount of oil going to the various oil points.
    Well, I did use my friend google and found out there is a 40 micron filter that is build in and the instructions say to clean/replace annually (periodically). Broke it down and sure enough, it was clogged with "scum from hell". Brake cleaner would not attack it and I ended up putting it in my ultrasonic cleaner for 48 hours and rubbing it occasionally to get "most: (95%) of the crud off.
    Now having said that, I have attempted to find this "China/Japan" unit on the net and no luck. I have found the Bijur distributor with a location within 100 miles of me, but I hate to pay $21 for a filter assembly for a unit that cost $40 originally and not knowing it will fit.

The unit I have indicates a "L-8" model number and I am assuming the possibility the Bijur filter will fit if I really need to replace it.

Do any of you have access to a "real" Bijur one shot to see what the diameter and thickness of the filter pack is?

I measure mine at about 1.98" dia by .190" thick.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Downloads
    Uploads

Bubba, sorry, don't own a Bijur, I've got the import clone just like you!

I'm wondering where that filter goes?

Is it just before the pump or just after?

If it is the latter, I'd be tempted to find myself an outboard filter and just put it inline between the one shot and your outgoing oil line. If you do that, there is likely a cheap and larger (more surface area) filter you could find that would be a long time clogging up.

Just an idea. All that Bijur stuff is darned expensive!

Cheers,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    To get to the filter, you remove the 4 screws at the corners and drop the reservoir off. On the bottom of pump housing, there is a recess in which the filter sets and is held in by a spring clip. I had to pry the filter out using a scribe and there are a couple of indention's in the side to assist you. This filter is on the suction side of the pump.

I attempted to get a couple of pictures, but I think my computer with the camera software on it just blew up:{( It will not re-boot either so something is wrong there:{(

Art

Downloads
    Uploads

Back again, Well it seems that google was my friend as I cannot find the original install disk for getting the pictures off the camera. However I have found a way to treat it like a drive and have been successful in downloading them.

So here we are:
    The Filter Screen before installation.
    The Pump body (shown in the horizontal position so I could take pictures etc
    The recess the filter sets in
    The installed Filter with Retaining clip.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One shot oiler-1-filterscreen-jpg   One shot oiler-2-thepump-jpg   One shot oiler-3-wherefiltergoes-jpg   One shot oiler-4-filterinstalled-jpg  

Art

Downloads
    Uploads

I have now mailed Enco and received a reply that this item is imported from China (no big surprise) but they do NOT have any parts for it.

So I guess it is either find out if a Bijur filter fits or to make up our own!

Art

Downloads
    Uploads

How badly do you want to filter, how well do you want to filter, and how dirty is your way oil?

40 microns is 0.00157"

0.0015 stainless steel mesh is available from McMaster Carr in a 12" x 12" sheet for $20, so you can make your own screens pretty easily if you wanted to go that route.

Or, you can pre-filter the way oil before you put it in the pump. Gotta be pretty easy to put together something for that purpose if that's what you want.

My pump has a little strainer thingey that sits in the top where you fill it. It's nothing like 40 microns, but another approach would be to line that strainer with something along the lines of the stainless mesh from McMaster.

Just a couple of other thoughts before you give your money to Bijur.

Cheers,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    Yeh, have thought about the "necessity" of a filter there anyhow! I only pour in "virgin" way oil when it is time to refill anyhow and the fill hole is covered except when filling anyhow!

I also had looked at McMaster (can't find anything in MSC) and concur with you.

I have it cleaned now and will give it a go and see what happens. I am not sure where the "scum" came from in the first place. It almost looked like the sluge you get when you mix oil and water. Could be that as the humidity in GA is quite high a lot of times!

If it does it again quickly, I just may pop the filter out and forget it!

Art