Shaft lube

Thread: Shaft lube

Default Shaft lube

For the people using hardened steel shaft and Rulon or other synthetic bearings, do you use any lubrication on the shaft for rust protection? The synthetic bearings don't need the lube for running, but I'm concerned that my shafts will rust up when they sit in the basement.

I don't want to use an oil based lube, because I'm afraid it will collect dust and chips from MDF and acrylic.

How do you keep your shafts from rusting?

Zeph

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Use WD40 and wipe it down. Dust is going to settle on it anyway, regardless of oil, because of static attraction and pure happenstance.

As I posted in another thread, get chrome plated shafting.

If you find a way to keep dust from settling on anything, you can make a fortune!

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

My experience on synthetic bearings is that as soon as you lube it with silicone spray or something similar is that you must keep on doing it.

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I'll look in to the chrome shaft again, I had not found a place that would pre-drill it, so had discarded that thought earlier. Now that I might drill it myself, I'll have to think about it again.

Thanks Klox- I was worried about that possibility. I've had poor performance with WD-40- It evaporates off too fast for my taste. (I like low maintenance... )

Thanks-

Zeph

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a little precaution on using WD-40, being in the gun business I have seen and used many types of metal protection and know that WD-40 displaces moister by absorbing it. While it works fine (and smells good too ) if you wipe down the item frequently. If using it alone it will after time absorb atmospheric moisture and cause rust. Browning even warns not to use it or Rem oil. To use it is fine but use it often especially in an often damp environment such as a basement. Now I know may have used it for years with great results but just keep the above in mind.

Ken

Thanks Ken, That's good to know.

Zeph