Choosing Steppers

Thread: Choosing Steppers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Choosing Steppers

I am currently looking for steppers to suit a 3"x10" cnc lathe I am building. I have found a pair in a old IBM dot matrix printer. The specs are 2.46V, 1.82A, 1.8 deg/step. They are fairly large in diameter at about 3". Anyway, I am just wanting to know what is involved in making a decision on what size steppers to use? Would these sized steppers be useful in a small lathe such as the one I am building? Would they be suitable as a retrofit for the 7x12 type machines?

Thank you

Ben

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can't help you with your question, as 'm new here, but I would ask you if you have found the wiring diagram of those motors, as I've found a couple too in an old IBM printer, and I would like to start playing a bit with CNC.
    Unfortunally I've not been able to find any specs for those motors.
    Wish you can elp. and sorry for my bad english ( I'm from Italy btw )

Cheers
    Pigi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I don't have diagrams yet, they appear to be a proprietary type stepper, ie no diagrams will be available unless IBM release them as part of the tech service manual. The steppers are actually Sanyo Step-Sync and so I would assume/hope that Sanyo kept wire colours on their 6 wire steppers the same across the range.

Once I have a controller built I can play some more with them and hopefully let you know!

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a small lathe. I would think those would be great motors for the task.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.