What hardware do I need to set up a coolant system?

Thread: What hardware do I need to set up a coolant system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What hardware do I need to set up a coolant system?

I need to add a coolant system for an aluminum cutting CNC machine. Are there any reliable reasonably priced options?

What hardware would I need to buy to set it up?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What hardware do I need to set up a coolant system?

A mist system is easy to make.

Here is a simple one https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...l-lathe.64992/

And another http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-mister.19957/

Or you could build one like mine http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...5/#post-347743 This one does not require a pump to work, the pressure tank can be pressurized to about 30 psi and it woorks fine manually.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    A mist system is easy to make.

Here is a simple one https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...l-lathe.64992/

And another http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-mister.19957/

Or you could build one like mine http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...5/#post-347743 This one does not require a pump to work, the pressure tank can be pressurized to about 30 psi and it woorks fine manually.
    Thank you.

If you use a manual system, does that mean you have to stand over it for the whole job?

I'll check out those build threads. It will save me from having to repurpose one of those electric water fountain / water features they sell on ebay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Thank you.

If you use a manual system, does that mean you have to stand over it for the whole job?
    You're welcome.

No, that just means you have to manually turn it on and off.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you need a small vacuum pump, a small compressor and a couple of those $12 spray mist coolant nozzle devices off ebay. For the pressures described in the threads, it sounds like even a small air brush compressor would be sufficient for the air.

I already own most of this hardware. I just need the nozzle and some air-tight tubes that are long enough to reach the end of my X-axis. My airbrush lines are too short.

I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't need to run compressors and pumps the whole time the machine was running but I guess I have to if there is no other way (that doesn't require me to stand there spraying for 12 hours).

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a small compressor would work fine. No pump needed. Jake is using a small vacuum pump as a compressor, but your air brush compressor should work. The other option is to make a flood coolant system using a small submersible pump, but that is really messy without a full enclosure and you have to return the coolant to the tank someway. I apply coolant at about 1/2 cup/hr with my spray mist system so no mess.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a view on buying a complete standalone system like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACCURA-....c100005.m1851

It seems to come with everything you need so you plug in and go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a small compressor would work fine. No pump needed. Jake is using a small vacuum pump as a compressor, but your air brush compressor should work. The other option is to make a flood coolant system using a small submersible pump, but that is really messy without a full enclosure and you have to return the coolant to the tank someway. I apply coolant at about 1/2 cup/hr with my spray mist system so no mess.
    Thinking more about it, my airbrush compressor is probably not rated for continuous use but my 3/4hp Thomas vacuum pump is and that has a 50psi air out / air compressor line. It's probably more suitable although it's a little too much power for this purpose.

Do I need to be worried about if my spindle is sufficiently water-proof for the type of coolant system? I have a PDS Ades90 which is an electric spindle. Do CNC spindles get damaged if coolant liquid gets splashed up?

Does the coolant get reused in a spray mist system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a view on buying a complete standalone system like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACCURA-....c100005.m1851

It seems to come with everything you need so you plug in and go.
    If you want a flood coolant system this one would work, but it's going to be messy. Not really suitable for a system without a full enclosure. Routers are not really set up well for flood coolant.

Thinking more about it, my airbrush compressor is probably not rated for continuous use but my 3/4hp Thomas vacuum pump is and that has a 50psi air out / air compressor line. It's probably more suitable although it's a little too much power for this purpose.

Do I need to be worried about if my spindle is sufficiently water-proof for the type of coolant system? I have a PDS Ades90 which is an electric spindle. Do CNC spindles get damaged if coolant liquid gets splashed up?

Does the coolant get reused in a spray mist system?
    Your vacuum pump would be perfect for a spray mist system.

I have a customer with a similar spindle using a spray mist system and and he has had no problems that I know of. The rotation of the spindle pretty much keeps the coolant out of the works. In his case, the coolant is controlled by the G-code (M7, M9). Turns the coolant on only when cutting. But a light spray aimed at the tool bit pretty much keeps the coolant away from the bearings. The bearings are sealed in any case.

No, the coolant is not reused. But if adjusted correctly, very little coolant is actually used. As I said above, I normally use about 1/2 cup / hr, just enough to keep the tool a bit wet.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

A bucket and a tube?

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want a flood coolant system this one would work, but it's going to be messy. Not really suitable for a system without a full enclosure. Routers are not really set up well for flood coolant.

Your vacuum pump would be perfect for a spray mist system.

I have a customer with a similar spindle using a spray mist system and and he has had no problems that I know of. The rotation of the spindle pretty much keeps the coolant out of the works. In his case, the coolant is controlled by the G-code (M7, M9). Turns the coolant on only when cutting. But a light spray aimed at the tool bit pretty much keeps the coolant away from the bearings. The bearings are sealed in any case.

No, the coolant is not reused. But if adjusted correctly, very little coolant is actually used. As I said above, I normally use about 1/2 cup / hr, just enough to keep the tool a bit wet.
    That's good to know (about how little is used) because it seems to cost a lot for what it is. I'm sure there must be a more economical way to get it than ordering a gallon off eBay though.

I had assumed that flood coolant was out of the question with an electric spindle. I will actually have a full enclosure but it's to reduce the noise more than to catch coolant.

I guess spray mist is the way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen lots of machines with both flood coolant and an electric spindle. As long as it's not spraying directly onto the electrical connections, and everything is properly grounded, it shouldn't be a problem. Mist provides some cooling and lubrication, but not as much as flood. And flood cooling will blast chips out of the cut, which will save you from having to periodically open your enclosure to brush chips away, breathing mist as you do it. Just make sure the enclosure is impervious to the coolant and has a bottom capable of capturing and recycling it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

You really only need to worry about coolant around the wiring, or the top of the spindle where the cooling fan pulls air in.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I've seen lots of machines with both flood coolant and an electric spindle. As long as it's not spraying directly onto the electrical connections, and everything is properly grounded, it shouldn't be a problem. Mist provides some cooling and lubrication, but not as much as flood. And flood cooling will blast chips out of the cut, which will save you from having to periodically open your enclosure to brush chips away, breathing mist as you do it. Just make sure the enclosure is impervious to the coolant and has a bottom capable of capturing and recycling it.

That's a good tip about catching and recycling it. I already made a coolant tray which goes under my moving table so that will catch any liquid that runs off the edge of the table. It shouldn't be too hard to add a valve with a line running to one of my vacuum pumps.

Given how hot aluminum gets when I cut it, I had assumed that most of the liquid from a thin mist would evaporate on contact. I definately like the idea of being able to reuse at least some of it. I read that people use a water filter to remove chips from flood coolant. I could do the same with my mist coolant system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You really only need to worry about coolant around the wiring, or the top of the spindle where the cooling fan pulls air in.

How ow do I prevent coolant getting in the cooling fan vent? If I block the holes on the top of the spindle then won't it prevent it cooling properly?

It seems inevitable that, when you have a high speed tool touching liquid, that eventually some will get thrown up and fall into the fan / electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

How ow do I prevent coolant getting in the cooling fan vent? If I block the holes on the top of the spindle then won't it prevent it cooling properly?

It seems inevitable that, when you have a high speed tool touching liquid, that eventually some will get thrown up and fall into the fan / electronics.