Choosing parts for a diy milling head - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing parts for a diy milling head

Default Re: Choosing parts for a diy milling head

[QUOTE=Goemon;2135630]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The cartridge goes inside of the quill which is not included in the link provided. You get what you see in the picture.[/

As an update / FYI for others on this spindle cartridge: this cartridge does not come with a sleeve and LMS does not sell the casting or sleeve for the KX3 (3503) CNC mills. Unlike other cartridges, this one can not be used without the sleeve because it has exposed bearings (which are meant to fit into the sleeve). You can't see the bearings on "complete" cartridges.

In other words, that $250 for an R8 spindle cartridge is not such a good deal for a diy milling head (unless you are capable of milling your own sleeve). I couldn't find this part available anywhere else either.

LMS does sell the spindle and sleeve with casting for the KX1 CNC mill but it is a 2MT one that is only rated for a 500watt motor....

Now I am thinking that the Tormach spindle cartridges might be a better choice as they come ready to mount. You just need to buy the pulley and drawbar (which are cheap and available to buy). Their BT30 and R8 cartridges for the 1100 look to be good deals compared to any other option.

There are Chinese BT30 spindle cartridges available for less on eBay but by the time you pay for shipping from China, they end up the same price.

The R8 cartridge for the 770 is a little more expensive but it comes with the pulley and it is rated for 10,000 rpm. I haven't seen any 10,000rpm spindle cartridges available for anything close to the same price anywhere else, not even used ones.

Any deals on used cartridges on eBay are usually for 40 taper spindles and my assumption is that these are too big for your average small homemade mill....

A Tormach BT30 cartridge plus a used 1.5hp spindle motor with a diy cast iron mount sounds like a nice affordable and achievable diy milling head project.
    No need to DIY the head if you are using a Tormach spindle cartridge. Tormach sells the spindle head assembly for the 1100 and 770.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31758

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31757

I know Skyfire sells their BT30 cartridge for $600 too. I don't imagine they'd be shy about selling a casting, but shipping would be expensive. You could send them an email.

One option might be AutomateCNC out of Michigan. Their machines are higher priced than Tormach's, but their still imported, so you might have a shot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Choosing parts for a diy milling head

[QUOTE=footpetaljones;2136094]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post

No need to DIY the head if you are using a Tormach spindle cartridge. Tormach sells the spindle head assembly for the 1100 and 770.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31758

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31757

I know Skyfire sells their BT30 cartridge for $600 too. I don't imagine they'd be shy about selling a casting, but shipping would be expensive. You could send them an email.

One option might be AutomateCNC out of Michigan. Their machines are higher priced than Tormach's, but their still imported, so you might have a shot.

I was aware that Tormach sells complete heads. I nearly bought one as my main spindle but they were just too heavy to lift on my own. Their complete heads look to be very good value considering how much a 10,000 rpm spindle would cost anywhere else.

The point of assembling my own though is the same as the reason why I'm going through the learning curve of building my own CNC machine. It's a skill and knowledge I want to aquire. It opens up the possibility of taking advantage of the many good deals I see for used spindle cartridges and spindle motors that are sold separately.

I also want the knowledge to upgrade components when my needs change so I don't have to buy a whole new machine every time. I saw the thread on upgrading the motor on a Tormach spindle and the guy would have been better off starting with the cartridge and motor he wanted. Trying to figure out how to fit a larger motor in the existing casting was a project on it's own...

Once I have the knowledge and a level of comfort, the goal is to aim a little higher on the quality spectrum than Tormach parts. For example, a nearly new Haas 12,000 rpm spindle cartridge recently sold on eBay for $1,500.

BTW, I found this video of a guy compairing two Chinese BT30 belt drive spindles - the two we've all seen on ebay. The one that sells for $450 delivered and the one that sells for $1,000:

Unfortunately I don't speak Russian (or whatever language it is) but... judging by what he points at.... my guess is that it is something along the lines of "look at the poor finish quality on the cheaper one" and "look how much smoother the more expensive one turns".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12