Newbie Why aren't portal mills more popular? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why aren't portal mills more popular?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Why aren't portal mills more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by JoanTheSpark View Post
    Thanks for using the word pocket - made me think twice ;-)

A question in regards to this - the mounting reference for the rails - does it have to be one solid piece, or can this reference also be a bolted-on piece of metal (base only needs to be ground/milled flat, not also pocketed)?
    Also how important is this - as most DIY builds seem to omit this as far as I can see?

John MacNamara has an interesting method of mounting his rails using opposing cams.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/for...?th=139042&p=1

Also in terms on a BT30 spindle suitable(?) for machining steel have a look at FM30F at . I am eagerly waiting to see how he gets on with it.

Dave.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Why aren't portal mills more popular?

Wow.......if ever there was a sledgehammer to crack a walnut the build in the link is it.

I'm all for innovative ideas but I think in this case the end product will take twice as long as the actual build of the machine per se.

I do realize that the molds are for reproducing other builds and so the cost will be recovered in part by anyone who wants to build the same design and to the same dimensions just don't deviate from the build plan if you have your own ideas.

I do get the impression that sometimes people go overboard in the quest for the ultimate never been achieved before dream build but that is beauty in the eye of the beholder.
    Ian.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123