I'm brand new to metal machining and have spent the last month or so researching the subject on-line and looking for used equipment. Early this week I came across a used Wells Index 823 Numerical Control (NC) vertical mill with a 5 HP spindle motor. The mill has on old Mark Century 550 NC tape controller and GE servos. The machining tool company went out of business 15-20 years ago and the mill has been sitting in cold storage ever since. I haven't negotiated with the seller yet since I wanted to do my research first before I discuss price. I believe the seller has all the tooling for the mill as well and I would be able to buy that as well. The following is the info I received from Wells Index customer service about the machine:

Model# 823C-MP3
Note: NW Shaft IN X & Y BRGS. Package (Not sure what this means)
Taper: 300KS
Year: 1976
Net Weight: 4080 lbs

I realize the mill's control system is obsolete and would require a retrofit to make it into a usable machine. This is where things get interesting.

By schooling I'm an Electrical Engineer but have spent my career in the computer and networking field. I saw this mill and my engineering brain immediately started to think about all the cool things I could do to it. Although I'm new to CNC, I find it intriguing to learn, do the research, and retrofit this NC mill to a true CNC machine based on a PC/LinuxCNC platform using Gecko drives and/or Arduino controllers. I'm well versed in PC's and Linux so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm not experienced in CNC or computer control systems, but I have played a little bit with the Arduino micro controller in the past. I also have a large pole building with 200 amp service/rotary 3 phase converter so I don't see space or power being an issue. The mill is about an hour away and I have the heavy equipment (back hoe) and big trailer to get it home; although it won't be easy.

Here's my questions.

1. Am I wasting my time thinking about retrofitting this machine and making it a CNC mill based on the PC LinuxCNC? I don't plan to start a machining business but I do plan to retire in a few years and spend most of my time "tinkering" with welding and metal fabrication. I also have a sawmill and heavy equipment so a vertical mill would come in handy to make and/or fix things.

2. Any idea what a 1976 era Wells Index 823 NC machine without the tooling would be worth? At the moment I'm not sure what he has for all the tooling, but I would like to determine a fair price just for the vertical mill by itself. If the price is right, then I can negotiate a price for the tooling. Unfortunately, I'm so new to vertical mills so I'm not even sure what all the tooling is and/or does.

3. Any idea what it might cost to do a retrofit? I'm not worried about the PC Computer as I already have a bunch that could be used.

Thanks for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing your recommendations.