Lathe Motor Centrifugal Switch Problem

Thread: Lathe Motor Centrifugal Switch Problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe Motor Centrifugal Switch Problem

My makerspace has a Jet 1024P lathe (circa 1976). They recently put a new Dalton 1 HP motor on it. I think it's wired for 110 volts, but I'm not sure. When you turn it on, the motor speeds up and you can hear the centrifugal switch click, then the motor slows down, the switch closes and it speeds up until the switch opens. It keeps oscillating like this and never gets up to speed. If you release tension on the belts so the chuck isn't spinning, then turn on the motor, it gets to speed okay and when you tighten tension on the belts to get the chuck turning, the motor stays at speed and is okay. Is the 1 HP too small? Could the centrifugal switch need adjustment? I don't even know if there's anything to adjust on those. Could it be a bad capacitor?

Similar Threads:
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Motor Centrifugal Switch Problem

The 1 hp motor should be plenty for a 1024 lathe. Sounds like it's wired for 230V and plugged into 115V. Get someone to check the wiring in the motor connection box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I'll look into that.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The 1 hp motor should be plenty for a 1024 lathe. Sounds like it's wired for 230V and plugged into 115V. Get someone to check the wiring in the motor connection box.
    That was the problem, wired for 220 volts instead of one 110. I made the appropriate wiring changes and it's working great. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

My pleasure Happy to hear you got it fixed.