Need Help! Re-finishing a refurbished lathe

Thread: Re-finishing a refurbished lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re-finishing a refurbished lathe

Hi

I'm currently rebuilding/refurbishing my old chinese lathe and need some advice on the re-finishing of it.

I plan to use a self-etching primer as a base layer and then some high fill undercoat for on the painted parts of the lathe.

My question is that there are some parts that will need body filler to get some bad spots covered, do I used the body filler directly on the metal or first use the self-etching primer with the body filler on top of the primer?

Also what type of paint would be the best to use for the final colour coats?

Regards

Deon

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Re-finishing a refurbished lathe

in automotive body working circles the common consensus is that body filler only goes on bare metal, or on metal that has been EPOXY primed. No other primers are recommended.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd make my own filler with epoxy and a filler, like microballoons. This is a much better filler then bondo.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx for the info. I still have microballoons left from my RC days so will use it.

Any advice on the best paint to use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Endlesshunt View Post
    Hi

I'm currently rebuilding/refurbishing my old chinese lathe and need some advice on the re-finishing of it.

I plan to use a self-etching primer as a base layer and then some high fill undercoat for on the painted parts of the lathe.

My question is that there are some parts that will need body filler to get some bad spots covered, do I used the body filler directly on the metal or first use the self-etching primer with the body filler on top of the primer?

Also what type of paint would be the best to use for the final colour coats?

Regards

Deon
    I would watch all of Keith Ruckers videos on you tube where he restores an old Leblond lathe. Primer is not needed. Cast Iron is porous enough that it does not need a primer. It just needs a high quality outdoor industrial enamel.

I see no need to fill in small imperfections but that is up to you. Large cracks and holes maybe. The cast iron just needs to be clean and bare with all rust removed. This is a series of videos. I think #4 is where he paints it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ31m-QtOHw

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx, I'm actually subscribed to his channel but did not watch that series yet. I will definitaly go watch it.

Last edited by Endlesshunt; 05-30-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling :(