Need Help! Deciding what to get

Thread: Deciding what to get

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Deciding what to get

I am looking to get a compact mill/drill/tapping center and wonder which to go with so I won't feel i need to upgrade to a new one any time soon.

I'm looking at a used haas mini mill, used brother mill, a robodrill or milltap 700

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Deciding what to get

I will be cutting aluminium, titanium and tool steel mostly

Downloads
    Uploads

I won't give you a specific recommendation but if you are going to be doing tool steel and titanium you need a very rigid machine. Titanium is very hard on tools. It's almost as bad or worst than stainless steel. So you need a very low vibration machine. One with a very rigid body and solid ways.

If anything, you should go with a slightly larger and heavier machine than you originally planned on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
    I won't give you a specific recommendation but if you are going to be doing tool steel and titanium you need a very rigid machine. Titanium is very hard on tools. It's almost as bad or worst than stainless steel. So you need a very low vibration machine. One with a very rigid body and solid ways.

If anything, you should go with a slightly larger and heavier machine than you originally planned on.
    am I just going to have to go with a lower in/pm? with the smaller machine i mentioned

I really like the size of the machines I mentioned before is their any good options around that size?
    What about a mazak vc300a?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hurco makes a couple of small CNC machining centers that are in the same size range as the Haas mini mill but they are more expensive. They seem to be built better but Haas has much better customer service.
    Mazaks would be good to check into. They now make some smaller machines. The older larger Mazaks are good machines and are very popular in the Western U.S. But I don't have any experience with the
    newer smaller Mazaks. I do think there will be a lot of Haas mini mills on the used market because lots of guys will turn them in for a larger machine when they need a bigger one.

If you are in the USA a used Haas mini mill would be a good starting point and probably the lowest cost you could go unless you decide on an imported Chinese milling center.

On thing you need to do is decide how big the tool changer needs to be for what you are planning to do. The mini mill I think can only do about 8-12 tools as I recall. This might be big enough for what you are doing.
    Or you might need a tool changer with 20 slots or more.