New Machine Build Gantry mill for precise milling of aluminium - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gantry mill for precise milling of aluminium

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gantry mill for precise milling of aluminium

Certainly one of the most awesome builds Ive seen. Quick question, I have the same HSD spindle (or very similar) to mine, do you run it from 3 Phase naturally or do you use some form of 220V to 380V trickery?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey. Do you respond to messages here?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I use three phase 380V. Single phase to three phase supply is theoretically possible to do, but you really don't want this, as you will run on pretty high currents on single phase 220 side, specially fo 9KW output like this motor is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a way to get CAD plans

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    I expected the same great quality cut from ur machine.. can you please share with me Plans of ur machine...
    Can you share plans CAD drawing willing to pay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by linux_fan View Post
    I will post some pictures and videos here about my new build. It is a moving gantry mill for milling aluminium. Why do it yourself and not just buy it? Well, there are very few machined with small footprint, large working area, not bulky..
    One machine that comes to my mind is Datron.. But its expensive. Most routers that are on market and advertised as capable of milling aluminium are just not rigid. Some origami style made machines are ok for wood, but not so much for aluminium.

Some basic data:

Working area: 1250mm x 620mm x 220mm
    Weight: 850KG
    Structure: Stress releived weldment, T slot table 37mm thick made of steel - 200KG
    Bridge: All aluminium made structure
    Milling head: 1x ER25 3.2KW spindle with max 18K rpm, 1x NT30 German milling head, driven with 2.6KW servo motor - max 5000rpm
    Motion: Ballscews on all axes, 25mm square rails on all axes, Mitsubishi MR J3 400W servo motors with 17bit encoders and brakes on all axes

I will use 3.2KW spindle for tools up to 12mm, and bigger NT30 for larger tools, like surface mill.
    Currently I have 80% finished bridge, electronic is finished.. But I am still waiting on base and table, which should arrive next week.

Please check video for current progress:

I have built few routers before, and decided not to go with side arms like most have, as they tend to oscilate no matter how much you reinforce them. So I went with one piece plate in front, and then with various enforcements in all directions to make bridge
    strong in all directions and also to make it torsionally rigid. This bridge will have less than 0.003mm deviation in any direction with cutting force of 30KG in worst Y and Z position - When Z is lowered and Y in the middle of bridge. Actuall cutting forces will not exceed 10KG in any direction. So it should work ok for milling aluminium.

If any questions, fell free to ask.
    With regard to the first machine you have posted:
    What material thicknes shave you used in the large parts of the gantry. It is difficult to estiamte. I would guess either 15 or 20mm.

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine you made is great. Congratulations on your success. I am interested in how you can use iron to be the chassis and the y-axis of the box size. Is the square iron rod size is 100x200mm. and how much more thickness.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234