Used CNC Mill Questions

Thread: Used CNC Mill Questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Used CNC Mill Questions

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a small, used CNC mill. By small I mean something that would fit in half of a two car garage and not weigh 11000 pounds.
    I really don't know that much about CNC machines to be honest, I just wanted to find something for hobby work- that wasn't as expensive as a new Tormach.
    Any recommendations would be great- I have done my share of manual machine work, but there is something about CNC that is so... alluring.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used CNC Mill Questions

What do you want to do with it? What do you have available for power? What kind of price?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    What do you want to do with it? What do you have available for power? What kind of price?
    Mostly make parts for live steam engines- 1/8th scale ones. A 9x31 table would be nice.
    I have regular old house hold power- but I can get my hands on a three phase converter with out an issue.
    As far the price? Less than a new Tormach- so under 7k would be nice.

Also, something that wouldn't need me to buy an antique computer to run it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....if you have 7K to spend you're into Tormach territory.....my 2 cents worth would be to get the 1100 new for the lowest outlay on options and add on as you get more money.

You don't have to go overboard initially, but with birthdays and father's day etc presents in the offing you'll soon have it up and running even with just a single chuck and cutter.......that also means all your booze and cigarette money is spoken for too.....sacrifices have to be made.....LOL.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi....if you have 7K to spend you're into Tormach territory.....my 2 cents worth would be to get the 1100 new for the lowest outlay on options and add on as you get more money.

You don't have to go overboard initially, but with birthdays and father's day etc presents in the offing you'll soon have it up and running even with just a single chuck and cutter.......that also means all your booze and cigarette money is spoken for too.....sacrifices have to be made.....LOL.
    Ian.
    Well...

Here's the thing, I would rather buy something that is used and comes with stuff like an enclosure, etc.
    I have been looking around sites like HGR and the like, but I haven't the foggiest ideas of used machines to look for.

I have dogs. They give me "surprises" to pick up daily.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, That's definitely looking for gold amongst the Klondike diggers......or you are looking for what everyone and his dog are looking for........it's a long haul and even at factory closure auctions you'll be bidding against the competition like crazy......factory closures usually don't go to hobby mills or cheap Chinese models

Everyone has his own idea of what they want......I spent 10 grand and a 2 year wait for a bespoke CNC mill from China despite what the people said at the time that it was a no hope venture and the money was all spent......it's been written up on the forum in another thread or two.

I can only say that once you have the basic mill the rest comes easy.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by radarjockey View Post
    Well...

Here's the thing, I would rather buy something that is used and comes with stuff like an enclosure, etc.
    I have been looking around sites like HGR and the like, but I haven't the foggiest ideas of used machines to look for.

I have dogs. They give me "surprises" to pick up daily.
    If your budget is 7K or less, you will not get an operating Tormach- maybe a base model with no stand and no computer or software. In the used market you will find a lot of industrial machines and the 7K ones will be huge and worn out. ( that's why they are being sold) You should take a look at Shopmaster- their new machines are within your budget and they may even have some used ones for less.
    https://www.shopmasterusa.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking along the lines of something like this perhaps MILL

Or would buying something old be more trouble than it is worth?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Or rather- this one?

Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 3 vmc's in my 2 car garage. (2) leadwell mcv-o's that have a bit more travel than a Haas minimill and a Mighty comet that has a bit more travel than a Haas VF1. the leadwells weigh 5500# each and the Mighty weighs ~8k# I was able to get them in through a 84" tall garage door without any major surgery.

I paid less than 7K for the 3 machines (NOT INCLUDING RIGGING!) I see used Fadals for less than $7k and they are good mills.

All 3 of these run an a 20hp phase converter and CAN all run at once.

Auctions ARE a good place to look but you have to have the stars align for you to get a decent machine. Went to an auction a few weeks ago, saw a 1999 machining center sell for $8k... today I see the SAME MACHINE on fleabay from a dealer for $24k!! Bastages! And YES I know it is the same machine because I looked at it and I had the serial # in some info I had.