Chinese XK7130 a complete experience Review! - Page 19

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast

Thread: Chinese XK7130 a complete experience Review!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese XK7130 a complete experience Review!

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I downloaded the LinuxCNC ISO last night and will be installing it today on the lathe build control cabinet since it is wired up for basic operation already. A friend is helping walk me through it who runs LinuxCNC on a standard parallel port. I have the 6i25/7i76 package in that control cabinet with closed loop steppers. We'll see if he can help get my learning curve up to speed on short order.

I much prefer pathpilot for is more feature rich user interface.. I currently have been using Mach3 with MachSTDMill which I absolutely love and PathPilot seems like a closer match with is conversational probing and milling features.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Chris
    Is there a reason you just dont use Mach3 if you already have it and your familiar with it why not go that route? Seems it will handle what you need you can always work on the Linux in your spare time?.

Be Safe,
    Sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sam,

Mach3 won't handle the spindle servo properly without the ability for yo accept full Quadrature encoder feedback. It is important for being able to index the spindle for told changes.

And it would cost quite a bit to purchase everything required to make Mach work at which point I would definitely just go masso which is all inclusive but lacking in some functionality to date the biggest being no touch screen support which my primary input method is going to be.

Lastly, I am absolutely at my wit's end from Mach3 freaking out on my existing machine.. if it were to freak out on the big machine it could be extremely costly and I'm in no way interested in that becoming a reality. Mach3 is simply untrustworthy to me after years of use and headaches. Always does something silly at an inopportune moment such as randomly curl a probe tip, **** down in the middle of a program after a tool Change, or decide not to stop while jogging.

Those issues are random and not common occurance so are near impossible to track down and they don't happen frequently so it seems it waits for your guard to be down to bite ya.

Yeah.. no more Mach3 for me, just scares me with such a big piece of equipment. It isn't the functionality because I really enjoy the machstdmill user interface, it's excellent, it's just the bugs that annoy me and the lack of encoder feedback and the amount of add on components required to increase the performance.

I truly love the principal on which LinuxCNC runs on and the interface of pathpilot, and once it's figured and up and running I'm sure I will be thrilled with the decision. I just need to get past the initial setup and configuration headache. Would be cheaper to fly in a LinuxCNC/pathpilot guru probably to get everything running than some of the other options listed. And I really want the flexibility to upgrade the machine inexpensively which is what would push me away from centroid or other controllers more geared for industrial use. Seems like the entrance price isn't too bad bit beyond that the prices are very steep and I'm not wanting to pigeon hole myself to them.

I'm very close to getting the lathe up and running and figure I will cut my teeth on LinuxCNC for that project before switching over to the VMC. Should give me some much needed understanding ahead of time to avoid mistakes!

Chris

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see well project is looking great otherwise.
    I'm sure you will get it figured out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LinuxCNC is pretty easy to set up these days. Will require some text editing for your setup.

There is great community support on the linuxcnc.org forum.

I reckon go with LinuxCNC. Happy to help if I can.

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Keep going with linux. A little bit each day and you'll be running in no time. Skip the atc until you understand how to program it. Mesa and linux will be very good machine when setup. You can change to path pilot later to make setup easier as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lcvette,
    You have a beautiful machine. I would be careful in selecting the cnc control. The MASSO controller while it looks great from a few videos posted it is really not ready for prime time based on the few people who have posted their experience on the zone. LinuxCNC is a good package with a realtime environment which is great but you really need to be a programmer to implement everything. The commercial type controllers like Centroid are very robust but also very costly. The KFLOP/KANALOG boards from Dynomotion.com are very robust and often used when several people upgrade old industrial iron, look on youtube. They have some C programs that need to be modified to get everything working but they have fantastic support and can handle everything I have seen on your machine including the tool changer, spindle, servos, etc. The Dynomotion hardware costs $250 for KFLOP, $250 KANALOG, $200 for KCONNECT the additional IO board, etc. The hardware comes with a very software called KmotionCNC which is very good. Unlike Mach3 it is very repeatable and never goes off and does stuff unexpectedly. Just my two cents. I have KmotionCNC and Mach4 with a Ethernet Smoother stepper on my two machines.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    Keep going with linux. A little bit each day and you'll be running in no time. Skip the atc until you understand how to program it. Mesa and linux will be very good machine when setup. You can change to path pilot later to make setup easier as well.
    I decided to push forward with LinuxCNC for now, I am implementing it on my lathe build which I'm completing currently and then hope to use that experience to transfer it over to the mill. Then if I get comfortable I will try the switch to pathpilot on the lathe and if successful again transfer the knowledge and experience to the mill!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    lcvette,
    You have a beautiful machine. I would be careful in selecting the cnc control. The MASSO controller while it looks great from a few videos posted it is really not ready for prime time based on the few people who have posted their experience on the zone. LinuxCNC is a good package with a realtime environment which is great but you really need to be a programmer to implement everything. The commercial type controllers like Centroid are very robust but also very costly. The KFLOP/KANALOG boards from Dynomotion.com are very robust and often used when several people upgrade old industrial iron, look on youtube. They have some C programs that need to be modified to get everything working but they have fantastic support and can handle everything I have seen on your machine including the tool changer, spindle, servos, etc. The Dynomotion hardware costs $250 for KFLOP, $250 KANALOG, $200 for KCONNECT the additional IO board, etc. The hardware comes with a very software called KmotionCNC which is very good. Unlike Mach3 it is very repeatable and never goes off and does stuff unexpectedly. Just my two cents. I have KmotionCNC and Mach4 with a Ethernet Smoother stepper on my two machines.

Russ
    I looked at kflop a while back and it seems more complex than LinuxCNC and considerably more expensive. Not sure I would want to trade one learning curve for another with a higher cost..lol

Downloads
    Uploads

The support you get from Dynomotion is well worth it. And the learning curve is not as bad as you think because of the great support.

http://www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good discussion.

I would also add that for many if not most AC motors, 3 phase allows the motor to start turning without needing a starter circuit. Single phase motors need a starter circuit and a solenoid to shut it off once the motor starts spinning (that "click" one often hears once a large single phase motor gets up to speed). This is because single phase is a 180 degree system, so applying power to one leg means the other leg is opposing it, stalemate with out a starter circuit. With 3 phase, applying power to one leg gets no direct opposition so the motor can start turning. I apologize if this is not as clear as it could be about the way the starter circuit works, but it's been years since I learned about that...

This looks like an interesting mill. I'm wondering if it will give the Haas Tool Room mill line a run for the money... I'm looking for something for my home shop; only problem is only about 40 amps single phase 220 going back there...

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Most industrial power is 3 phase power and most residential power is single phase power.

Single phase usually has (2) 120v legs and a neutral and can be either 120v between one power leg and the neutral, or 240 volt using both power legs which are 180 degrees out of phase to each other.

3 phase power uses 4 wires.. (3) 120 volt legs that are configured as a Y and each leg is 120 degrees out of phase to the next.. 0, 120, 240 degrees out of phase to each other. In aY configuration it is considered 208Y/120v. Or also 230v 3 phase. 3 phase power is more efficient and components usually run much better on 3 phase then single phase due to the increase in power from the tighter phase split (120* vs 180*).

Most bigger equipment use 3 phase power for this reason and it's cheaper cost due to smaller gauge wires being acceptable for the drop in amperage requirement and list of power due to resistance which is lost as heat.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by veefre; 04-19-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Missed the rest of the thread!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations Chris for this discussion. It is very interesting and very informative about a new perspective in this market!

I discussed with Fred yesterday as I am tempted by the characteristics of this 7130.

Fred offer turnkey solution with KND or GSK or Siemens. In my case I design with Fusion 360 and then use Mach3 to run the G-code. I would not mind using whatever controller that can drive nicely and smoothly my g-code. I do not know these KND GSK Siemens controller but what is appealing is that the machine may run not too long after I receive it. The question : do you think one of these CNC package installed by Fred can be a success ; if so is there one that may be a better choice?

Marc

Edit : I use Fusion 360 ; there are post processors available for Siemens (many), one is available for a GSK, and none for KND. ; the Siemens option is above 2000$ more than KND.... Now I do understand the route Chris took.

Last edited by mpilon; 04-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New info : KDN run Fanuc code !

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast