Skyfire CNC owners? - Page 4

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyfire CNC owners?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skyfire CNC owners?

I think I am going to go for it and just hope for the best. An email just came in referring me to the US distributor in Alabama.

It will take the 60 days to prep for it anyway. My home shop is almost completely setup for electronics design and assembly so some reconfiguring needs to happen. I also need to get all the supporting pieces like work holding, tools, tool holders, saw, metrology tools, etc. I am going to bank on the machine arriving crooked and twisted but will have the levels, squares, and indicators at the ready to see how flat, square, and true an ultra-light machine can be (or adjusted so). Kinda fun starting from scratch.

I saw a video on YouTube talking about how much it was leaking coolant. Haas has been TERRIBLE about that. My 2006, 2007, and 2010 machines all had major leaks when they were brand new. In a commercial environment, I just patched them as quick as I could because the machines needed to be running. On this one, I will hunt down and seal every drip possible before I start cutting. I hate coolant leaks - especially in my tightly packed garage. The CNC will be very close to my pick-and-place circuit board assembly so a barrier of some sort will probably be a good idea.

Anyway....off to plan the finances for this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    I think I am going to go for it and just hope for the best. An email just came in referring me to the US distributor in Alabama.

It will take the 60 days to prep for it anyway. My home shop is almost completely setup for electronics design and assembly so some reconfiguring needs to happen. I also need to get all the supporting pieces like work holding, tools, tool holders, saw, metrology tools, etc. I am going to bank on the machine arriving crooked and twisted but will have the levels, squares, and indicators at the ready to see how flat, square, and true an ultra-light machine can be (or adjusted so). Kinda fun starting from scratch.

I saw a video on YouTube talking about how much it was leaking coolant. Haas has been TERRIBLE about that. My 2006, 2007, and 2010 machines all had major leaks when they were brand new. In a commercial environment, I just patched them as quick as I could because the machines needed to be running. On this one, I will hunt down and seal every drip possible before I start cutting. I hate coolant leaks - especially in my tightly packed garage. The CNC will be very close to my pick-and-place circuit board assembly so a barrier of some sort will probably be a good idea.

Anyway....off to plan the finances for this.
    I think you'll be happy. I'm in LA too so if I get mine first you are more than welcome to come over and get aquatinted with it. I'm really looking forward to the setup and installing the Rapid turn on it. Should be a slam dunk if I can just decipher the Adtech 4650 wiring. I can't figure out if I'm mentally challenged or the documentation just sucks. Trying to hook up the VFD to the 0 to 10 volts and being able to control a second spindle should be easy but the documentation just does not seem to give me a clue. Still reading though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interfacing dissimilar electronics is my day job. I design analog and digital hardware and embedded software May be a useful set of skills for this machine.

In time, I am hoping to design and build a pallet changer and external tool changer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interfacing dissimilar electronics is my day job. I design analog and digital hardware and embedded software May be a useful set of skills for this machine.

In time, I am hoping to design and build a pallet changer and external tool changer.

Those sound like great projects for the VMC-2. I'm going to figure out how to use Mach 3 turn wizards for the Tormach Rapid turn. It may be just a matter of putting the generated stock code in notepad and have it find all the X axis and change them to Z axis for the mill and then do the same for the Z axis and make it the X axis on the mill. Besides some tweaking I think it may work. Might have to rename the Wizard axis's in notepad to something like XW and ZW as not to get confused as you'll be finding all the Xs and Zs twice and if you mixed then up it could be crash time. Just something fun to do.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any suggestions what tool and part probes may be a good fit for this machine?

I was spoiled rotten with Renshaw probes on the Haas machines. They saved PILES of time and I also used them with custom macros to ID fixtures, measure bores, angles, etc. Sure would be sweet if something like that would work with this SkyFire.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any suggestions what tool and part probes may be a good fit for this machine?

I was spoiled rotten with Renshaw probes on the Haas machines. They saved PILES of time and I also used them with custom macros to ID fixtures, measure bores, angles, etc. Sure would be sweet if something like that would work with this SkyFire.
    I'm with you. Hopefully the probe from Cliff down under on youtube will work on the skyfire. I just hacked the Tormach accessory cable to see what's what and was able to get the proximity sensor working on my Mach3 system. It was really no big hack just had to put a 1.5K resistor in the mix to get it to work and find the correct wires to use. Cliff's channel is thread express. He builds a really nice probe which is somewhat crash tolerant. About $650. I'm on a waiting list. So if you want one in this decade you may want to at least get on the list.

Jack

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Order process has begun:
    1: SVM-2VMC with 5 axis CNC4650 controller
    2: 12 tool ATC
    3: 10k RPM spindle
    4: 6" 4th Axis
    5: Tail Stock for 4th axis
    6: MPG
    7: RIGID Tap capable VFD
    8: Electronic tool setter Type A

Trying to do some planning for workholding now that allows me to use the whole (small) machining envelope. This will be the smallest machine I have ever used, and the parts I will make are failry close to the travel limits. Need to really think through the workholding for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Order process has begun:
    1: SVM-2VMC with 5 axis CNC4650 controller
    2: 12 tool ATC
    3: 10k RPM spindle
    4: 6" 4th Axis
    5: Tail Stock for 4th axis
    6: MPG
    7: RIGID Tap capable VFD
    8: Electronic tool setter Type A

Trying to do some planning for workholding now that allows me to use the whole (small) machining envelope. This will be the smallest machine I have ever used, and the parts I will make are failry close to the travel limits. Need to really think through the workholding for sure.
    OK, Hold everything!

Doesn't the VMC-2 with the 10,000 RPM spindle come automatically with rigid tapping since it is a Servo motor spindle not a VFD. The servo motor with encoder is the only way to get it to line up for tool changes, a VFD spindle won't do it, Unless I'm crazy???? Am I crazy? If I am crazy where did you read that was an option as I never saw that as an option when purchasing mine and I need to add that if I am nuts. I did add the tapping head and collets for it but again never saw the rigid tapping as an option. Let me know asap please.

Also be careful of ordering a vise or vises. If you want them side by side at some point for a setup make sure you check and see what will fit and still give you travel. I was going to order two 6 inch units then I went and looked at a VMC-2 here in L.A. and he was running a 6" along the X axis and I saw why when he homed it. It would crash the front enclosure if it was for and aft along the Y axis. I saw DDTTeacher running two 4 inch vises side by side on his VMC-1 (8" Y travel on his) and they fit nice. Possibly two 5 inch may work well with the 10" Y travel on the VMC2. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Here's his video if you have not seen it yet.

Thanks, Jack

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if the 10k spindle automatically comes with the rigid tap capable VFD - it very well may be. I only put that on my list to Jan to ensure that the machine is rigid tap capable FOR SURE. I do a TON of tapping 2-56 and 4-40 so that feature is critical. In fact - it is the first reason I abandoned Tormach. I nearly purchased a loaded Haas TM2P since they are now 10k spindle capable. A little over $60k and I would have to remove my garage door, modify the header, and cut a hole in the ceiling.

Waiting for Jan to confirm the options chosen are correctly configured.

I am considering using Chick 1030 vises with a custom sub-plate that allows me to quickly swap in 3 of them as well as the 6" 4th axis. I had those vises at my previous shop and they may be a good fit in this small table. The jaws are expensive but If I can get the table totally full of parts - the cost is justified.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@Roadstercycle have you received any updates on your order?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@Roadstercycle have you received any updates on your order?
    Yes I did. Jan Bo's said that there is a difference. I told him that rigid tapping was one of the reasons I bought and did not see an add on so I assumed it was automatic since all the tapping tooling was available and I hand purchased it. He said he would make sure I got rigid tapping installed. Did you get any updates from him?
    I was hoping to get an update on my machine progress as I was told 45 to 55 days and I'm approaching 45 days.
    An update would be nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been trying to coordinate an order for a couple of weeks.....nothing yet. The ordering process is very low tech which makes me wonder what may or may not show up - or IF anything will show up.
    It is a cross-my-fingers experience.

Jan said the same time frame but it has been a very long time since I said I am ready to order. Crazy.

Status updates should be a priority since I would think that trust is likely SkyFire's biggest marketing hurdle - I know it is for me. My expectations are very low to start, and already not being met.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been trying to coordinate an order for a couple of weeks.....nothing yet. The ordering process is very low tech which makes me wonder what may or may not show up - or IF anything will show up.
    It is a cross-my-fingers experience.

Jan said the same time frame but it has been a very long time since I said I am ready to order. Crazy.

Status updates should be a priority since I would think that trust is likely SkyFire's biggest marketing hurdle - I know it is for me. My expectations are very low to start, and already not being met.

I agree with you. It just does not seem like a priority. Did you ever really order yet or are you still waiting for Jan to confirm?
    Jack.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still trying to get the order worked out.

Basic questions still open. No order form, no quote, or anything that pushes the process forward. Just short, plain text emails that explain that all is going just fine.

Haas is not yet off my radar. Obviously, I would like to have the smaller, lower cost machine but I need machined parts even more. A significant delay in delivery or something not right when/if it arrives will be more expensive than just buying Haas now and having it within 2 weeks with an absolute performance guarantee. I am going to give this about one more week before I bail out. As a business tool, I need a business relationship.

I hope Jan and SkyFire can get it together. The size and specs work for what I need today, but the timing has to be reasonable as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi......did you pay up front for the "order" or just make an inquiry that you want a quote?

When I ordered my SVM-0 mill a few years back I stated the options I wanted and got an email with a quote, then i paid the full amount up front and waited for the delivery.....circumstance being as they occurred at the time etc.

If you haven't paid any money you won't get a delivery.......if you have paid the full amount you won't be able to cancel the order as it's probably well on it's way to completion.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been trying to order and pay......but nothing.

It is way beyond an inquiry, I have chosen all the options and clearly stated that I am ready to go - a few times......nothing yet to solidify anything. I am not out any money yet, but still trying to make business plans that are somewhat time sensitive. As long as I do not have a machine - I am losing money and time. I can prototype a new part in 1/25 of the time it takes for a local shop to do it. When I machine my own parts - I can do 5 iterations of the design and test it in a single day. A local shop needs drawings, time to program, time to fit it in to their schedule, etc. After that, I am not their to notice the various design flaws that could be fixed in 5 minutes, but only if I was there to see it. By the time I actually get the parts to notice the problems - 2 weeks may have passed and it may be another 1 or two before they can run a revision of it. Long story made short - prototyping needs to be in my hands - in-house and it is very expensive as long as I have nothing. We will still do production out of house if we have the SkyFire since I doubt it will hold up very well being run 12 hours per day. A new Haas (even the baby Haas TM series) can be run all day every day and accomplish a significant amount of our production work too - making it easier to justify.

I just got a quote from Haas for a brand new TM2-P - 10k spindle, Renishaw probes, CAT40, 7.5hp, 4th axis, chip auger, high flow coolant, etc,etc every option.....for just about $55k and it will actually fit in my space. Roughly 3x the cost, but higher performance, capability, and a guarantee. It may be worth making payments to have a machine months sooner and peace of mind that my business is not relying on a small hack business.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been trying to order and pay......but nothing.

It is way beyond an inquiry, I have chosen all the options and clearly stated that I am ready to go - a few times......nothing yet to solidify anything. I am not out any money yet, but still trying to make business plans that are somewhat time sensitive. As long as I do not have a machine - I am losing money and time. I can prototype a new part in 1/25 of the time it takes for a local shop to do it. When I machine my own parts - I can do 5 iterations of the design and test it in a single day. A local shop needs drawings, time to program, time to fit it in to their schedule, etc. After that, I am not their to notice the various design flaws that could be fixed in 5 minutes, but only if I was there to see it. By the time I actually get the parts to notice the problems - 2 weeks may have passed and it may be another 1 or two before they can run a revision of it. Long story made short - prototyping needs to be in my hands - in-house and it is very expensive as long as I have nothing. We will still do production out of house if we have the SkyFire since I doubt it will hold up very well being run 12 hours per day. A new Haas (even the baby Haas TM series) can be run all day every day and accomplish a significant amount of our production work too - making it easier to justify.

I just got a quote from Haas for a brand new TM2-P - 10k spindle, Renishaw probes, CAT40, 7.5hp, 4th axis, chip auger, high flow coolant, etc,etc every option.....for just about $55k and it will actually fit in my space. Roughly 3x the cost, but higher performance, capability, and a guarantee. It may be worth making payments to have a machine months sooner and peace of mind that my business is not relying on a small hack business.
    Go with the Haas if you need a machine that large, well worth the money, and you will have service and any parts you may ever need

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Go with the Haas if you need a machine that large, well worth the money, and you will have service and any parts you may ever need
    I don't need the Haas, although it is always nice to have bigger, better, faster. If I spend the money on Haas, I would be much more motivated to make it run all the time - a mix of prototype and production parts.

My interest in SkyFire is that it is (in theory) a better fit right now. I don't need super speed, super precision, or a huge work envelope. The SkyFire is small, 1ph power, low cost. All of those things are desirable for sure.....but only if I can get one. If it can deal with my small prototype needs and pilot runs.....it is an interesting option. It would justify its cost rather quick. Haas is a whole new thing financially but being a much better machine of course.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't need the Haas, although it is always nice to have bigger, better, faster. If I spend the money on Haas, I would be much more motivated to make it run all the time - a mix of prototype and production parts.

My interest in SkyFire is that it is (in theory) a better fit right now. I don't need super speed, super precision, or a huge work envelope. The SkyFire is small, 1ph power, low cost. All of those things are desirable for sure.....but only if I can get one. If it can deal with my small prototype needs and pilot runs.....it is an interesting option. It would justify its cost rather quick. Haas is a whole new thing financially but being a much better machine of course.

The SkyFire is a good machine too, not a Haas or even a comparison, as long as you can wait a year or more after you place the order, then you would be fine, it's a shame that his deliveries have not got any better than from a few years ago, as he does have a well built machine

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The SkyFire is a good machine too, not a Haas or even a comparison, as long as you can wait a year or more after you place the order, then you would be fine, it's a shame that his deliveries have not got any better than from a few years ago, as he does have a well built machine
    That is the worry - it looks great for the money. Just worried about that totally unknown delivery time.
    Haas makes a tiny machine called the CM-1 - but once configured it is $70k+ for small parts it is pretty cool - but it is crazy $$ for the size.
    https://www.haascnc.com/machines/ver...html#gsc.tab=0

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast