My Lathe project; might CNC it one day - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Lathe project; might CNC it one day

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First off mill the block to sizes
    I used the big lathe with a 4 jaw to make te first hole very close to the center height; then went in the vertical mill; I bored close to the final size and measured to the outside edges; moved the block till dead on
    Flip it over and repeat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default small update

Managed to slip back again to the shop

New spindle set into the tapered roller brg; this will be finish cut to fit the chuck under power in the brgs; the collet taper and some small detail can be done then too; this will ensure accuracy

The back view; still need to make the locking threaded coller; but the 1.000" dia is finished ready for the drive pulley; this is longer than the single 8 step pulley I was using to allow for a timing pulley to be added just behind the lock coller; this will be for indexing the spindle with a 310oz/in stepper 3-1 reduction
    Note the shallow keyway 0.125 deep 0.1875 wide I kept it shallow because the hole through is quite big 23/32" dia

Next will be the lock coller and mod the pulleys; the extra depth in the bores is for the oil seals 55mm 38mm 8mm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let's see if I got this straight;

you first used a lathe to mark the hole position and get a start hole, then used the mill to do the actual hole?

I'm unclear about the different ways to make a hole - there's the normal drill (spiral or "twist") for small "crude" holes (I've heard they don't make a hole really round), then the reamer for finishing the hole off (better surface quality, a round hole, and better tolerance in dia). Is this correct?

And then boring... which is actually like turning but done on the mill? In a manual mill I guess one would use an offset boring head to get the correct hole size? Is it possible to only use the boring bar in a CNC mill and still get variable hole size?

I could really use a tutorial on how to make holes in metal

How good diametric and positional tolerances can you get with the method you used?

Thanks for the help,
    Arvid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used the big lathe because it's easier to bore a big hole than the miling machine; I drilled about 1" dia first then took 3 cuts to 1 13/16" dia
    This would have taken a great deal of time with an offset boring head in a mill; the block is 5 1/2" long
    The mill finished the brg and oil seal dia just 0.880 deep; behind is a second bore to clear the inner section of the taper brg 2" dia 0.187 deeper than the brg depth

I got the 2 sides within 0.0005" thats close enough for me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default small update on the new head

Newest images
    Here is a side shot of the new head finally bolted to the bed; yes it's quite a bit longer and has already caused a few thoughts about the layout under the bench
    The head is 1/2 filled with #30 oil ready for the machining of the chuck location diameter; bearings are preloaded too

Above shot; once again that trusty bronze has shown up; this is the preload nut; 2 holes for a tommy bar and 1 lock set screw; just behind it is a collar for the oil seal to run on; it also spaces the inner bearing race

I've lost a bit of travel with the chuck and new spindle; but without the chuck I gain a few mm's
    The old collet setup will not be reused; I intend to make a new ring to fit the same diameter as the chuck; this will have an inner thread and a push ring to lock the collets tight; a simple pin wrench will fit it

Now for a question
    I'm running it now with a 1/2hp 120Vac motor
    If I got a sweet deal on a 1/3hp do you think it will be enough power; remembering the new tapered roller brg setup; the old setup had very little resistance to rotary movement; now we have preload to consider

Downloads
    Uploads

If I got a sweet deal on a 1/3hp do you think it will be enough power

Maybe Steve if it is a high torque type but I have my doubts if it is not, since I know you are going to be cranking the RPM at times on your unit. Not that big a deal to just try it and see how it goes.
    I am assuming cheap is spelled "Sweet"

I put one on an old lathe years ago that was 1/3 HP high-Torque and it amazed me the power it has in starting up. Came off a pin setter from a bowling lane.

How does tyhe head mount to the bed?

EDIT:
    BTW, and once again, nice work.

Ken

Last edited by Ken_Shea; 06-08-2004 at 11:29 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are 2 8mm grade 8 socket head cap screws up from the bed bottom; but this will have to be increased now; I'll add 2 more plus a rear support

Also I forgot to add; the driven and drive pulleys have swapped places; I'll re-make the drive pulley with bigger changes to the steps; this will space the speeds apart a bit more; there will be 8 regular speeds plus any differentals

Downloads
    Uploads

Look for a motor at http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Also think about using a DC motor with a DC variable drive. No pulleys needed. Well, maybe high and low gear.

Wayne Hill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Basically the new head is finished as for the running part; it sure cuts nice; there was a small sound for the brgs at first; but I think I had a bit too much preload; or it could have been a very small chip; piece of hair; who knows??
    I ran it for 1 hour with a temp sensor; hit 49dgr; which is why I think it needs an oil cooler; at 6000rpm she is sure winding out; this is still 3000rpm from max speed with oil

Here is the head with chuck fitted and cuts made

Wayne; I've looked into VSD; might one day

I was thinking of buying a small drill press and removing the motor; for about 80bucks i can buy a 8" benchtop drill; i can't get a 1/3hp for $80 as just motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Very, very cool.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

1/3hp for $80 as just motor

Are you serious Steve, wow!, any scrap yards around you?, how about a well digger or plumber, ask if they have any old jet pumps that maybe the motor is still good, these are high torque but do have a 4 bolt flange on the face for mounting, sometimes that can come in handy, sometimes not. If you need something shipped from the states let me know. I can probably round you one up here and ship it to you for about $50 or so maybe even a 1/2 HP.

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well the rest of the drill press would be worth making something out of it too; the spindle maybe just the ticket for another project

Remember $80 Canadain is about $50 American

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the rest of the drill press would be worth making something out of it too; the spindle maybe just the ticket for another project

Thinking ahead, that's smart.

I can get a motor for about $10-$15 the shipping of about $35 is the killer.

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

which is why I think it needs an oil cooler

How about machining some thin cooling fins into the sides of the head or trying oil additives that cut friction?

I use CPR brand here, it is not in Canada but I would think there would be similiar products there or I could mail you enough to try for FREE

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ken

I can't; there is too much stuff to be bolted to the head; there will be a 3 axis milling attachment; plus the bridge to the tailstock for another Z axis

I can try an addative; I even think I have a free sample somewhere

Downloads
    Uploads

Because lathes don't interest me, I haven't read this thread till now. Boy have I missed out.
    Stevie, you have done a magnificent job. The photos you have posted are fabulous too.
    Tremendous effort.

The Lathes looks too good to use. You wouldn't want to dirty it.

Being outside the square !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ynneb

Thanks; ho it's been plenty dirty; I use a shp vac every time I'm finished

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ken

Good news

The 1/3 HP will drive it just dandy
    I got a 8" drill press for $69.95; so in effect I got a 2" travel spindle with 3 spoked handwheel (if this were laid down and the back cut off; I see a tailstock of sorts) a new 1/32-3/8" chuck with Key; the 1/3HP motor; a nice 115Vac switch; small cast iron base with column and rotatable table (must be another use for this too)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Stevie
    Hey Ken

Good news

The 1/3 HP will drive it just dandy
    I got a 8" drill press for $69.95; so in effect I got a 2" travel spindle with 3 spoked handwheel (if this were laid down and the back cut off; I see a tailstock of sorts) a new 1/32-3/8" chuck with Key; the 1/3HP motor; a nice 115Vac switch; small cast iron base with column and rotatable table (must be another use for this too)
    Stevie: If you were really clever (and going by your Lathe you are) You could make a mini turret out of your left over drill parts !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast