Hobby milling machine - with a small budget - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobby milling machine - with a small budget

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an idea a while ago about a mill, or a lathe, that uses a spindle and hub from a car. That way you get tapered roller bearings, and already machined shaft and bearing races. Wouldn't be able to put a spindle bor in the thing though. Had another idea about using the bottom of an engine block, or two connecting rods as the journals for a lathe or mill, and simply having a machine shop turn down a piece of heavy pipe for the spindle itself. That would be the only thing that would have to be done on a lathe.

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi from England,
    I have been looking at Chinese mills and all the components needed to set up a cnc mill, this comes to £ 800 plus £800 which is a bit too much. Where I work has large lumps of metal of bright drawn, so I have been drawing out some ideas on a minimum machining mill all from sections very similar to Dave Gingerys but without all the castings.
    David. in Devon.England.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12