Clausing Lathe 13x36

Thread: Clausing Lathe 13x36

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clausing Lathe 13x36

For two weeks I've been studying lathes with a certain methodical approach.. Having made the decision to go with older American iron versus the asian variety I've been perusing Yahoo Groups, CNC Zone, Practical Machinist, MMS, E-Bay, reseller sites and was determined that a Clausing / South Bend / Harrison would come up in the 12x36 to 13x40 range wihin my meager budget if I were to exercise a bit of patience.. Just a little bit of patience was all I needed..

Then earlier in the week I did a search for Clausing lathe and there it was. A 13x36 lathe with a "Buy it Now" only 300 miles from my home..

Two weeks of patience and restraint gone out the window in 18 seconds (or whatever the flash in the pan amount of time it takes to commit) as I had to act at that second to secure my great deal.. It's as if I was overcome by some other force than my own will.

Not so smart!

It is older American Iron.. That's for sure.. I have no idea what is was that I just bought.. None.. Probably safe to say that newer machinery was used to build WWII planes and tanks.

In my "buy it now" state of drunkeness I didn't look a the year, model or anything else... Again, not so bright..

Any ideas on what this is that I'll be bringing home in the next week.. Picture below..

Thanks,

Tony

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clausing Lathe 13x36-52_1-jpg   Clausing Lathe 13x36-53_0-jpg   Clausing Lathe 13x36-546_0-jpg   Clausing Lathe 13x36-552_0-jpg  

That is an excellent buy for three bills!
    It's exactly what we had in trade school back in the 70's
    They are solid powerful machines, you will not regret this buy!

If you don't like it, just ship it to Florida, and I'll grab it!

Good Luck!

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eric,

Are you the fella that has the Birmmingham lathe?? If so I read all of your posts and talked to the folks at Bill's in CA.. I was close to going that way.. Nice posts...

Hopefully it will work out..

It's only 225 miles away (a nice drive through Maine) so worst come to worst I'm not bleeding to badly..

Thanks,

Tony

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Locster13 View Post
    Eric,

Are you the fella that has the Birmmingham lathe?? If so I read all of your posts and talked to the folks at Bill's in CA.. I was close to going that way.. Nice posts...

Hopefully it will work out..

It's only 225 miles away (a nice drive through Maine) so worst come to worst I'm not bleeding to badly..

Thanks,

Tony
    Yes, I love my lathe, it has nt faulted in any way!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear it...

I was so close..

Do you happen to know the approximate year of this Clausing lathe and/or model number..

Thanks,

Tony

no, the images are too poor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clausing Lathe 13x36-untitled-1-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mid '50's to maybe late 60's. Don't let that frighten you. They are excellent iron..Depends on how it has been maintained, abused, etc.
    Leval the lathe correctly ! Your owner manual will explain step by step.
    Lubricate correctly. Do not start and run unless your certain all areas are lubed and cases are filled with the correct lube.Could be a disaster.
    Did you score any tooling with the machine ? Taper attachment ?
    Good luck on your new purchase, if it is just not wore plum out, will give you a good place to start.Really, a manual lathe is only as good as the operator and his knowledge any way, just tecnique, set up ( and use dial indicators!)

Adobe (old as dirt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adobe,

Old as dirt = Experienced as hell in my book! I'm turning 40 next week and for the first time ever feel a skosh of dust in the morning..

Found the lathe! It is a Clasing Master MKI from mid 50's. Pictured below. Parts are still available from Clausing..

Unfortunately there is no tooling with the lathe. With a purchase price<$400 I will have a little bit of room to shop and buy a few things..

I'm new to the world of turning.. If a taper attachment or quick tool change holder are not available can they be fabricated?? Just wondering..

Thanks for the input..

All the best,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clausing Lathe 13x36-img0-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A Taper attachment would be a challenge for a very experianced machinest,especially if that lathe never had one...not impossible, just challenging.

It looks like from the pictures there is a tool post on it.My suggestion would be to contact ENCO @ 800-873-3626 or MSC and get their catalogues.Do not spend any $$ on expensive tooling untill the machine is set, and running and you know every thing works.

All the quick change tool post for a 13-15" lathe should fit. You might have to fabricate or change the base that attaches to the machine, but that is a simple job.

Were there manuals included ? You can do an internet search or even E Bomb and get copies of manuals for the machine.Just invaluable for set up, and parts if needed.

Good Luck with your lathe !

Adobe (old as dirt)

http://www.cdcotools.com/

Low priced tools and accessories from Asia!

The Quick Change tool post you need is size AXA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eric,

What's your experience with the CDCO stuff.. Same quality as an ENCO types (their asian stuff)...

Thanks,

Tony

I have gotten som items from them, a 6x6 sine plate which was really ground flat parallel & square! An AXA tool post and extra tool holders, which are good too!

I guess its a roulette game!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is a great buy. Clausings are excellent machines and you have struck gold on this one.

I also struck pay dirt with mine. I paid $400 and it came with 6 Albreich chucks ($1080) and about $ 2000 worth of hand screw tooling as well as a $2500 Birnham ultra high precision collet chuck system in addition to the 5C collet system.

This is the hand screw machine version of the 13 x 24" which I have automated. It has variable speed drive to 3200 RPM

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clausing Lathe 13x36-dscf1489-jpg