Newbie lower end machine brands

Thread: lower end machine brands

Downloads
    Uploads

Default lower end machine brands

With some financial windfall, I'm looking seriously at being able to set up a home shop, that'll be a mixture of hobby work for me, and possibly starting a business.

It's been a while since I've looked around at the upper-lower-end or whatever you'd call it I'm looking at, there's a few new choices. I'd like to spend no more than $10-15K each on the CNC machines(no more than 20K when all the tooling and accessories and stuff are added in), so I'm looking at Tormach and Smithy. I'd like tool changers, if I get the Tormach 1100 I'd get one, Smithy has a fancier mill with one but I've not yet called to find out exactly how much they cost--last I knew they were a bit more than the Tormachs, and might be too much for me.

Are there any other brands to look at? While I'm on the fence about waiting for the Tormach lathe, if I got both machines, I'd be looking at $15K or so for each, including a lot of bells and whistles and shipping and stuff. This is the price range I'm looking at, and was curious if anyone else was working in this area. I'll also be looking at ebay for used machines, might be able to catch a Haas or something for a deal, but I do like the idea of a new machine.