What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

In the early 90's, 5-axis CAM programs that actually worked were $100k+, 6-axis $250k+. At that time there were others that cost less, but could NOT control 5 or 6 axis symultaneously. I do not know what they cost now.

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    In the early 90's, 5-axis CAM programs that actually worked were $100k+, 6-axis $250k+. At that time there were others that cost less, but could NOT control 5 or 6 axis symultaneously. I do not know what they cost now.
    mmm....I was thinking they'd be very expensive. I have Mach3, how many axis can it go up to?

It seems like the cost of software would be the deterrent to building a diy machine greater than 3 or 4 axis.....Anyone know of a hobby-budget CAD/CAM solution and Machine Controller for even a 4 axis machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe this can give you an idea of what it looks like and what the different axis does.

Downloads
    Uploads

While there can be many conventions, maybe even some quasi industry standards, realize that nothing is written in gold. So investigate the machine and software for its configuration.

Note also that CNC controllers can be found running all sorts of machines. Cincinnati built a huge number of plastic molding machines with FANUC controllers for example. I've even see G-Code running packaging machines. I've even seen custom built machines running a machines rotary axis as linear axis on the controller. Sometimes you have to work with what the controller offers and sometimes the software that produces the G-code works better when dealing with linear numbers. Then you have robots where every axis is rotary.

thanks
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Big _ Big _ Big _ Dued

Man, what a machine, did you build that - it is a little larger than what I had in mind, but I would love to have the work to keep it busy all day

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan; No I did not build the machine. It is an old Digital Tool DR903 that I fitted with the "A" axis. JP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ya call THAT a Fourth Axis? THIS is a Fourth Axis!

Shows my 60mm diameter (2.375") rotary unit from www.fourth-axis.com fitted in my Roland MDX-15. I can rotary scan with it. I can rotary mill with it. I do index cutting (XYZ work at any rotation angle) and real X-Z slicing at a series of incrementing rotations and even has the torque to do Rotary-Z slicing at a series of incrementing X locations. I also take simple XYZ work and wrap it around a cylinder.
    I use Roland Modela Player 4 CAM software and Rhino as my CAD.
    Amazing!
    Terry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like?-pixmonkeys-side-jpg   What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like?-2mkrhino-jpg   What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like?-mvc-237f-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Someone know some thread about DIY 4 Axis Machines? im planning to build one, but cant find an good thread abt that

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Four axis is fairly simple; there is a rotary mechanism with an axis (normally) oriented parallel to the X axis of the machine. The 4th axis can be used just for positioning parts so they can be machined in different orientations as the pictures show. The first picture is parts that are slotted in one orientation and then drilled and counterbored in a position 90 degrees to the slot. Using a rotary axis allowed these operations to be done in a single fixturing. The second picture shows lengths of aluminum round bar that just gets machined to length and tapped in each end. Doing it this way on lengths that were cut off on a high speed bandsaw was much quicker than facing and tapping each end in a lathe.

The 4th axis can also be run under full program control so complex shapes can be sculpted. I don't have any examples nor do I have any five axis examples.
    Do you know who did the fixturing in the second picture?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What does a 4-axis CNC machine look like?

Looks like standard HAAS to me. JP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12