New Machine Build DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Hi Guys,

After a lot of other projects I finally am back on track to complete my DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder. I currently have a small one that fits on my bench grinder and use it a lot while doing my other machining projects. I did considerable research in order to make the best and most versatile DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder.

My friend shared some of his CAD files with me and I transferred them to my ONECNC XR5 Mill Professional CAD/CAM program. I had most of the basic design work done and cranked up the Ole HAAS TM-1P Milling machine Sunday afternoon and made some of the parts. He really loves his Belt Grinder and says it was one of his best tool projects as far as usage around the shop. Thanks Don!

Another friend of mine works for a local metal recycler and was able to find most of the material needed for the project.

This unit will be a 90 degree model that easily switches from Vertical to Horizontal operation. It will have an 8 Inch contact wheel, dual wheel platen attachment, a small wheel attachment and possibly other attachments as time goes on. I would also like to make a tool bar that would have a jack shaft that would allow me to mount a deburring wheel and maybe even a polishing wheel to the left side of the tool bar.

It will be powered with a 2 HP 56C Frame 3 phase 1725 RPM inverter duty motor with a VFD that has a 2 X option that will allow the motor to run at up to 120 HZ instead of the normal 60 HZ operation. Basically, it will allow the 1725 RPM motor to run at 3450 RPM which should give me a nice speed range and plenty of power. At this time my intention will be to put a 220 volt 3 phase MALE twist lock plug on the grinder and put a 220 volt 3 phase FEMALE twist lock plug on the VFD unit. That way I can use the VFD on other tools in my shop that have 3 phase motors of like 3 phase HP i.e. 2 HP or less. Just trying to make this VFD as versatile as possible.

I will try to provide plenty of pictures and documentation with my build.

I will first give you some pictures of the 2 X 72 belt grinder that my friend built to give you an idea of what my goal will be. I will probably make a few refinements along the way if possible, such as pulley sizes and adding a small wheel attachment.

So far:

1: Machined the 56C motor mount frame with cutout for motor and associated mounting holes

2: Drilled and tapped 1/4 X 20 holes on various sides and positions in 2" square tube for mounting the necessary plates, brackets etc.

3: Machined the thumb screw locking mechanism plate, vertical belt tracking plate and 2" aluminum angle that will be welded to my rotation arm plates.

Hope you enjoy!

John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1161a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1162a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1163a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1164a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1165a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1166a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1167a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1168a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-dscn1169a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2425a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2426a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2427a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2428a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2430a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2431a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2432a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2433a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2434a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2435a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2436a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2437a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2438a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2439a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2440a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2441a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2442a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2443a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2444a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2445a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2446a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2447a-jpg  
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More Progess on my 2 X 72 Belt Grinder

Hi Guys,

I made some of the parts for the belt tracking system today.

I attached a few pictures.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2462a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2461a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2460a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2459a-jpg  

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good John as always.
    Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ultimate 2 X 72 Grinder

Hi Guys,

Cut a few more parts for the grinder today. Rotating plates and the vertical support/name plate.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2465a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2466a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2467a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2468a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More Grinder Parts

Hi,

Had a little spare time and made a few more parts for my grinder. These are the upright support brackets that will hold the grinder and allow it to rotate up to 90 degrees.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2480a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grinder Tracking Wheel Lever

Hi,

I made the tracking wheel lever today. The 3 holes on the back side of the lever are for a spring that provides the necessary tension for traction and belt tracking. Another bracket will be attached to the rear motor plate for attachment of the tension spring. The 4" tracking wheel will be installed in the .500 hole of the tracking bracket and the 1/4 X 20 screw that comes through from the other side tilts the wheel which provides the necessary tracking alignment. A 3 Phase 56C frame motor will be bolted to the frame and a 5" drive wheel will be attached to the 5/8" motor shaft. Ordered the motor today and will order the VFD tomorrow. I still need to have some welding done on the frame for it to finally take shape.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2482a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2483a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2484a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2485a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2486a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lever Handle and lower tubing support bracket

Hi,

I made a knurled handle for the tension lever and lower tube support bracket. The unit is now ready to have a few of the pieces welded and install the pulleys, tension spring. I have ordered the 1 1/2 aluminum square stock that will hold the various grinding accessories i.e. wheels, platen etc. Hopefully, it will be here early next week. The VFD is supposed to be here next Monday and the 2 HP motor is also ordered and on its way.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2487a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2488a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2489a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2490a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2491a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2492a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2493a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2494a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grnder Frame Welded

Hi,

Well visited my friend today and he did a great job welding up some of the frame parts for me. The unit when completed will be mounted on a movable cart with locking casters. I recieved the motor, VFD yesterday and he helped me get the grinder running. I haven't finished any of my tool holders yet so he let me borrow his just to see it run. The VFD worked really well. We ran it utilizing the 2X option. i.e. running the 1725 RPM motor at speeds up to 3450 RPM. We also tried out the dynamic brake and it stops instantly when you flip the stop switch. The 1 1/2" square aluminum tool bar stock was delivered today while I was visiting my friend getting my parts welded and the VFD and motor running. Still need to order various drive wheels and work on the tool rest system.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2505a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2510a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2512a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2513a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2514a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2515a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2516a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2517a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2518a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2519a-jpg  
    Last edited by HelicopterJohn; 10-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

Awesome work!

Other than the base is anything else welded?

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Welding on 2 X 72 Grinder

Hi jalessi ,

First, thanks for the favorable comment.

The vertical support plates are welded to the base. The rotating vertical/horizontal positon support plates were welded to the angle plate that was bolted to the 2" tube that supports the tool arms. The name plate/vertical support plate was welded to the vertical support plates. Also, a small plate was welded to the top of the motor plate that is also bolted to the 2" tube that supports the tools arms. Thanks to Don, for doing all the welding for me and also helping me hook up the VFD.

When finished, this will be the most used tool in my shop. I have grinders, buffers, disc sanders all which take up a lot of floor space in my shop. Goal is to use this multi purpose tool and its many (depends on your imiganation) custom tool arms to do all my grinding, deburring, polishing needs in one machine thereby reclaiming some much needed floor space. In time, I even hope to machine a tool arm that has a 9 inch sanding disc with associated tilting table. I intend to mount the machine on a table that has lockable wheel casters that can be moved to various locations in the shop and even outside on my concrete apron it doing a lot of grinding. The VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) allows for a wide RPM range for the many finishing operations around the shop. My intention is to add a female twist lock plug to the output of the VFD. That way the VFD can be portable and be utilized on any Inverter Duty 3 phase motor I have in the shop up to 2 hp. As you can see the VFD can provide additional potentional to other tools in the shop.

I hope to make a video once the project is complete talking about the build and some of its useful applications. Many knife makers utilize similar machines, but it also many uses in your machine shop.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Bar and tension spring installation 2 X 72 Grinder

Hi,

Made a little progress today. Made a tool bar for my 8" Wheel and also permanately installed the tension spring. Also, painted the lettered areas and then resanded the surface to highlight the text.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2520a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2521a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2522a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2523ajpg-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2524a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2525a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2526a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2527a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2528a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Helicopter Hohn;

This has come together real nice. Love the printed data and date built.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Rest System

Hi Wizard,

Thanks for the favorable comments.

I am presently working on the tool rest system. Should have something in a few days. I need to round up some material for this phase.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Rest System

Hi,

Well, I cut the upper, lower and vertical tool rest brackets today. I still have to weld the bottom of the vertical bracket. It will also have a ratcheting handle for easy removal of the tool rest system when it is not needed. I temporarily have a 1 1/2" steel square bar installed. The finished ones that I make will be made from 1 1/2" square aluminum stock. There will be various square bars and round stock to make these tool rests easily adaptable to any grinding configuration weither the grinder is in the vertical or horizontal position.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2546a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2545a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2544a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2547a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 90 Degree Offset Bracket For Tool Rest System

Hi,

I made the 90 Degree Offset Bracket for the Tool Rest System today. It will attach to the 1 1/2" tool rest bar that slides next to the individual tool bars.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2585a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

John, I can't believe I missed this thread! Beautiful work! It looks a little bit similar to the plans I see for sale in Home Shop Machinist magazine? Like the engravings as well...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 X 72 Multi Tool Grinder Attachments

Hi Louie,

First, thanks for the compliment. A friend of mine on the East Coast for Florida built a DIY 2 X 72 Grinder similar to this one. He gave me some general CAD files that I changed slightly for my use. I made most of the parts on my HAAS TM-1P utilizing ONECNC for all the CAD/CAM work.

I did a lot of research on the internet and You Tube of all the various grinders and associated attachments and tried to make mine a good as it could be.

The VFD with all its features and the ability to design and add tools will make this one of the most utilized tools in my shop.

I have just only finished the basic machine. Now for all the fun stuff. Making custom tool holders for various grinding, sanding, deburring. buffing, polishing and who knows what else all with the Variable Speed Option. A BIG floor space saver in my shop.

This is one of the best and most rewarding projects I have undertaken.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Rest System

Hi,

Here are a few more pictures of tool rest system progress. I still need to make the tool rest plate.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2586a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2587a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2588a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 X 72 Grinder Tool Rest

Hi,

Well, I finished the tool rest plate and associated lower bracket today. The bracket has 2 each 3/8 holes that are fitted with flat head socket screws. The screw holes are threaded about 2/3 rds of the way down and the bottom 1/3 has a clearance hole so that the nylon inserted lock nuts can pull tension on the bar and tighten it into the correct position. The bracket also has 2 each .750 holes cross drilled into the brackt to accept the tool bar. This system allows movement in the up/down, in/out and sideways direction. A universal system that will allow movement in most any direction. I stlll need to make another bracket for the 8" wheel for a table support when the grinder is placed in the horizontal position.

Once that is complete I will start work on my next attachment.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2596a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2597a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2598a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2599a-jpg  

DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2600a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2601a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 X 72 Grinder 8" Wheel Horizontal Table

Hi,

Well, I machined the 8" Wheel Horizontal Table today and it's associated lower bracket. The table top is attached to the lower support bracket with 3 each 1/4 X 20 SS flat head socket head machine screws.

Here are a few pictures of my Horizontal Table. All I need to do yet is trim a little off the bottom and drill and tap a hole for a locking screw. The wheel that is currently on the machine is only 7.5 inches in diameter. I will be putting a new 8.0 inch wheel on it. That is why is appears that the wheel doesn't fit as good as it should to the table contour machined tool path.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2610a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2609a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2611a-jpg   DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components-img_2612a-jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast