New Machine Build DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Awesome build it looks real close to the TW-90 all of us Knife makers drool over. I hope to find plans for one and build my own. I am to cheap to buy a machine already made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jimmy2405,

I did a lot of research prior to building my 2 X 72 Grinder. I tried to take the best of each design and incorporate them into my grinder. The TW-90 is a really nice machine and I liked his tool rest system a lot so I used a similar system on my machine. Wilmont also make a fine 2 X 72 Grinder. I made a lot of different brackets to make the tables as adaptable as possible. I use my machine almost every day and I love it. The variable speed and my rotary platen design makes it the cats meow.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone that has posted pictures and video of their machines.

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rotary Indexing Platen In Aluminum

Here is a place for those who want to build a belt sander to start. You can use the parts of this you like and adapt the rest to your liking.

KMG Clone blueprints (Image Heavy!) - The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Re: Rotary Indexing Platen In Aluminum

Hi,

Well I have been using my Ultimate Grinder for quite a while now and it for sure the most utilized tool in my shop. It replaces 3 or 4 other grinders, buffers, sanders that are presently taking up valuable floor space in my home shop.

I finally got around to making a proper video that shows all the features of the grinder, various tool bars including one for deburring, polishing, VFD and most importantly my original design of the Rotary Platen for 2 X 72 belt grinders.

I did a ton of research looking at all the 2" X 72" Grinders and tried to take the best from each of them to make myself what I call the ULTIMATE GRINDER.

The reason I chose to take on this project was that I have a bunch of individual grinders, buffers, and finishing machines around my shop that are taking up valuable floor space. I thought it would nice to have "ONE MACHINE" that could perform all of the grinding, sanding, deburring, polishing operations in my home shop. i.e. the Ultimate Grinder.

Since completion of this project I have found this to one of the most utilized tools in my shop as it does so many different things.

The nice thing about this machine is that if you come up with another idea you can just develop another tool bar and you are in business. The possibilities are endless. Some people have even attached vacuums to them for dust collection which is another good idea.

I have OneCNCXR5 Mill Professional software and chose it to do all my CAD/CAM work. The majority of the work on this project was designed in that software. I utilized my HAAS TM1P Vertical Machining Center to cut those parts. That way I can easily duplicate the process should I ever want another one. Some lathe work was needed and I performed that work on my Clausing 5913 manual lathe.

Here is a link my YouTube video:

Enjoy!

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rotary Indexing Platen In Aluminum

Just watched the video John, what a great job. I can really see that being such an incredibly useful tool in any workshop. Once I've got my more immediate stuff out of the way I'll most definitely be building one myself. I can replace three other really old bulky sanders/grinders I have with just that.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Re: Rotary Indexing Platen In Aluminum

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the favorable comments. It was a ton of fun to build and even more fun to use. I love it. It basically takes care of all of my grinding, sanding, deburring, and polishing operations utilized in finishing my machined products. That is why I call it the Ultimate Grinder. Ha Ha

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the favorable comments. It was a ton of fun to build and even more fun to use. I love it. It basically takes care of all of my grinding, sanding, deburring, and polishing operations utilized in finishing my machined products. That is why I call it the Ultimate Grinder. Ha Ha

John
    Great news John, glad to see you're still at it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Louie,

Good to hear from you again. Yep, I love my Ultimate Grinder.

I am now into Kayak Fishing. My efforts have drifted into developing products for marine applications. I have made several Steering Systems for Kayaks that utilized transom mount trolling motors like the Minn Kota. I started out with a manual foot pedal system. Then I added electric steering with manual foot pedal backup. My latest unit is controlled via an linear actuator, has backup foot pedal controls and also has the ability to remotely control the tilt and trim of the trolling motor from the seated position in the kayak. It is almost like the Ultimate Grinder as it gives FAST, SMOOTH Fishing Kayak Steering. I have several You Tube videos on this project.

Project Overview

Tilt and Trim

More Tilt and Trim

Electric Steering in action

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2 X 72 Grinder Pillow Block Toor Bar

John
    I am new to cnc and have just gained access to a Haas machine just like yours
    do you share drawings for the grinder
    Thanks glenn

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Glenn,

My apologies for missing your post to this thread.

Yes, I will share drawing for this project FREE of Charge. It will be a little pay back for all the input and help that I have received over the years from some really great guys in the CNC community.

I have all the DXF files and a few other formats and other information that is loaded on my Google Drive that I can share.

I will send you a PM with all the details.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

John
    If you are still around this topic i would love to get the drawings if still available.
    Been on CNCZone for years but only found this by seaching for groinders on google.
    Never thought to search on the Zone.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    John
    If you are still around this topic i would love to get the drawings if still available.
    Been on CNCZone for years but only found this by seaching for groinders on google.
    Never thought to search on the Zone.

Mike
    I would also be interested in the drawings if they are still available, very nice build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi Glenn,

My apologies for missing your post to this thread.

Yes, I will share drawing for this project FREE of Charge. It will be a little pay back for all the input and help that I have received over the years from some really great guys in the CNC community.

I have all the DXF files and a few other formats and other information that is loaded on my Google Drive that I can share.

I will send you a PM with all the details.

John
    Awesome belt grinder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John. Beatifull work.
    Ricardo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John. Beatifull work.
    Ricardo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be intetested in the dxf files, if still available

Thank You

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello can i get the drawings or dxf files please if they are still available ?

Barulo

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be intetested in the dxf files too

Cheers
    SF

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

John,