Need Help! Help Selecting Turning Lathe

Thread: Help Selecting Turning Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help Selecting Turning Lathe

Hi All,

I am revamping machie shop, replacing the traditional manual lathes with CNC Lathes. My requirement is to install 24 lathes in next 12-18 months timeframe.

The CNC Lathe operations would be turning and facing - its a cylindrical job with height of max 75 MM and max OD of 460 MM

The machines short listed are:

HAAS: ST-40
    DOOSAN: V 400
    HYUNDAI: LV 500
    MORI SEIKI: CTX 510
    OKUMA: SP-V60R
    MAZAK: QSM 350

Since this is quite a huge investment, I wanted expert opinion / experiences on the same.

-THANKS

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've ran mori seikis quite a bit. super dependable and extremely rigid. Combined with a automatic steady rest, it works perfect to face, center and turn all with one set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If this is the only work you will do, I would definitely recommend one of the vertical lathes. Much higher rigidity provide better possibilities for effective turning. Also much more ergonomic loading/unloading. If you want real production there are vertical lathes with hanging spindle (free chip fall) and where you load the parts outside machine on conveyors and the the spindle itself pick up / leave the part on the conveyor belt

Regarding the Mori Seiki CTX510 I don´t think this is an original Mori Seiki. As far as I know it´s a DMG lathe (originating from the Gildemeister line)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Swede!

Can you recommend lathes that have hanging spindle that allow part load/unload outside - it will definitely boost production levels.

Any specific recommendation on the Vertical Lathes?

Thanks,
    Jigar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jigark,

The absolutely most sold machine of this type in Sweden is Emag made in Germany EMAG machine tools ? turning machines, grinding machines

There are also two other German made machines that are rather common in Sweden

Hessapp range DVH and DVT. Hessapp is nowadays a part of the MAG-IAS Group MAG - The Global Machine Tool Manufacturer: MAG
    DMG with their CTV-range is also an alternative, but I think Emag and Hessapp are sturdier machines

The only Jap I know have made this type of machine is Hitachi Seiki with their CS-range. As you probably know Hitachi Seiki went bankrupt 10-12 years ago. Mori Seiki bought the remains, but I don´t think they continued manufacture this range very long. These machines can be bought secondhand at low prices here in Europe because of Mori Seikis very poor support for these machines. Don´t know about the support in US

Downloads
    Uploads

For your Steady Rest requirement you can consider going for Steady Rest manufactures in India. They offer same quality at nearly half the price of US & German manufactures.

ARMS Steady Rest is a leading Steady Rest Manufacture & exporter from India and have their client base in India, US & Finland.

ARMS Steady Rests are at par with international standards and very competitive in price. They can be used as replacement to any other make due to its unique design which enables interchangeability in mounting dimension. They can be used on any CNC make.

To see our catalog, please visit this link ARMS AUTOMATION : Hydraulic Steady Rest

To see the images of our Steady Rest manufactured by us please visit this link ARMS Hydraulic Steady Rests

K Stephen Daniel
    armsautomationsales@gmail.com