Build Thread Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!) - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!)

Default Re: Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning)

Quote Originally Posted by KevMoto View Post
    I was thinking of external or internal threads over a longer distance, using the lathe, the way the auto-feed is already set up with the gears.

Actually Mach3Lathe will accept an index pulse from a lathe spindle for synchronizing lathe type threading.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Actually Mach3Lathe will accept an index pulse from a lathe spindle for synchronizing lathe type threading.
    perfect,then FannBlade's set up will be perfect and it will allow me to move the big electical box on the G9729 like he did. Right now it's not centered and I just don't care for how it looks sitting on the table I built. I'll build my own cabinet like he did, replace the pulleys and motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats my plan too, an index pulse for accurate lathe RPM, and do the threading that way.

I got some recommendations from the guys at automation technologies and just to keep it straight. The Z-axis is the vertical mill movement right? (The up and down), the X-axis is the left to right and the Y-axis is the front to back movement .... All from the perspective of the person standing in front of the machine...

Here are there recommendations:

X and Y: Nema 23 - 3/8" shaft - 570 oz-in
    Z: Nema 34 - 1/2" shaft - 1200 oz-in

Controller: 3 Axis CNC Stepper Control Box, Digital Stepper Motor Driver, 110VAC/220VAC for G0704 | Automation Technology Inc

On a mill the Z axis is the head moving up and down.

On a lathe the Z Axis is the cutting tool moving left and right.

You will probably have two different machine profiles depending on whether you are turning or milling.

Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    On a mill the Z axis is the head moving up and down.

On a lathe the Z Axis is the cutting tool moving left and right.

You will probably have two different machine profiles depending on whether you are turning or milling.
    Thank you, now i understand.

So, I was wondering why they suggest a motor that is twice as strong for the mill Z axis than the X and Y ??

Because the head is heavy and not only do you have to overcome inertia, and friction, but also gravity.

Most of us of reasonable strength and health can push a car if we have to, but when there is even a little grade it gets harder, and only the body builders among us can push it up even a modestly steeper grade at all.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!)

Is there a secret handshake or club, or? in order to find out what ballscrews are being used? ALL the ballscrews? the couplers, bearing blocks, part numbers, or who to purchase from? Automation Tech carries them however they don't feel they need to list the specs for them so I guess wistling Dixie is about the only thing that's going to happen there?

Maybe even a partial parts list? quarter of a partial parts list? like, for all the parts... like part numbers or maybe a link? kitchen sink? pictures aren't really worth a thousand words without parts names, list or numbers? Not sure how anyone could even do a conversion without the knowledge of what and where and which parts to get?

maybe im missing where all this info is? I would prefer not to have to buy then send back parts because I am guessing at which ballscrews to use? bearing blocks? couplers? pretty surprising this thread is two hundred pages long as well as two other post doing the same thing and no one has any parts list or part numbers or whom they purchased from....

so , what's the secret handshake to get this info?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought 3 - Nema23 steppers, 425oz-in, and run them from a Gecko G540 board connected via USBCNC to a laptop.

This is my order for 2 of the ball screws, and bearing blocks:
    SFU1605-C7-975 975mm Ballscrew & Flanged Nut w/ Machined Ends
    Item# 407 $100.06 USD 1 $100.06 USD
    SFU1605-C7-365 365mm Ballscrew & Flanged Nut w/ Machined Ends
    Item# 415 $71.38 USD 1 $71.38 USD
    BK15-C7 Fixed End Ballscrew Support w/ Locknut
    Item# 967 $49.95 USD 2 $99.90 USD
    BF15-C7 Free End Ballscrew Support
    Item# 968 $21.95 USD 2 $43.90 USD
    BK12-C7 Fixed End Ballscrew Support with locknut
    Item# 963

This was the Z axis mill ballscrew:
    Ballscrew 1204-175mm ( Diameter:12mm Pitch:4mm L:175mm) end machined +ballnut
    Item# 121160653376

If you DM me your e-mail address, I'll send you drawings for some of the parts I made for my Z-axis conversion. Not perfect, and I could do a better job if I did it again.

Carl

From 2013, prices may have changes for better or worse.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Carl,

Thank you so very much. This is a big help, I have been putting this off forever and have to get to it.
    I am pondering in converting over to linear rails and bearing blocks but cant seem to find reasonable pricing and I still need to regrind my bed ways.
    DM on the way.
    Thanks again.
    J

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314