Cutting Aluminium

Thread: Cutting Aluminium

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting Aluminium

Question

I am almost completed with my 4X8 router (see pics in homebuilt machines forum under my screen name)

If I want to cut something out of aluminium - which will not be very often...... can I ?? The machine has (will have) a 3.25 HP Porter cable router spindle

What RPMS are best, and feed rate to cut ?? I may try to cut something out of some 1/4" - 3/8 plate so I was curious if I could..... and what I should look out for etc...

Thanks for any input guys !

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

What is your max spindle speed? I'm guessing that your machine will be well suited for high speed machining of aluminum. Although I'm not very well versed in high speed machining, I've heard of people machining aluminum at spindle speeds of 20,000-60,000 RPM with ungodly feed speeds.

My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you can. Keep it wet, higher RPMs generally better. You may need to take light cuts with only 3.25 hp, just start slow and work up til you start bogging the motor down, then back down about 10% or so.

HTH

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm no expert here, but if you are going to be using small cutters (less than 1/4") then may I suggest a single flute, high helix type as these will help eject the chips and prevent snapped bits (snapped bits, now that, I know about!)