Lube / coolant

Thread: Lube / coolant

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Lube / coolant

for hobby/home-shop use what are the pluses/minuses of different fluids for cutting and cooling:
    30 wt motor oil, 3-in-1, wd-40 etc.
    Or, is there a source for this kind of information other than the school of hard knocks? I have enough lumps already

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,
    anything as long as it is not lemon cordial.....

Now seriously, motor oil gives of fumes & a smell, it was not designed as a cutting fluid, 3-in-1 is actually a light oil, and is handy for creacking door hinges....

You need a cutting fluid that's gives you good tool life, finish and does not have a bad smell (due to bacteria growth). I don't know what's on the market on your side of the ocean, but i'm sure guys like Hu, Hardmill for example will help you on the ins and outs of "cutting fluid shopping".
    For tapping i use *******....the other guys claim there products are "good", well in some instances so good it eats away the painted surfaces on machines!
    In some situations you can use parrafine as a cutting fluid eg. ally, copper & brass, but it's not the ideal thing....
    I use a cutting fluid called ****, it's biodergradable, inhibits bacteria growth and does not give a "bad" smell. I don't know if it is availible in the USA.

Klox

Last edited by Klox; 07-12-2003 at 04:38 AM.
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ToyMaker,
    Scroll down this category until you see "I need lube" dated 6-01-03.
    Or you can call MSC (800-645-7270) and ask for a catalog to get supplies such as this, and many more items as well, for your shop.

Last edited by SRT; 07-11-2003 at 10:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Toymaker,

One thing to keep in mind is your health. Petroleum oil mists and smoke can give airway problems, and even give pneumonia a chance to get started.

Water is still the best coolant, if cooling is what you need. The synthetic coolant dilutions available improve the lubricity, help reduce rusting. They are still not good to breath in mist form.

If you get mist and smoke produced from your work, you need a bit of ventilation to remove it. Some kind of a wall fan and a 4" dryer hose ducted to it will help. If you have a dust collector, that should help remove fumes, if the exhaust is outside.

Flood coolant is pretty safe, because there is so much being applied, that steamy mists do not get a chance to form. However, mists can still be formed from high speed chucks and such if the coolant is being flung off.

I like the Trico microdrop lubrication system for aluminum milling, which can use a vegetable based oil applied with air. It is non fogging by design, but a hot work zone can still turn this into smoke, too. It's still not good to inhale the smoke, even if it is vegetable based.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If I accidentally endorse any product in the above message, I regret this profoundly. I am sure what you are using right now is at least as good or better.

LOLROF

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry the rules apply to me too.... I had to swop the names of the products i mentioned with better names!! These new name i've put in are manufactured by my key board when holding down "shift" and typing "8". I cannot endorse these new products however......LOL!!!!

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Methinks this is being taken a little too far. If our mods can't even mention the equipment they use, their input is severely cramped.

By tying their hands, you have removed their knowledge base from the board. The above message is useless without names of the products being discussed.

Zeph

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Zephrant
    Methinks this is being taken a little too far. If our mods can't even mention the equipment they use, their input is severely cramped.

By tying their hands, you have removed their knowledge base from the board. The above message is useless without names of the products being discussed.

Zeph
    We are not prohibited from mentioning equipment we use and neither are you.. How many times do you see machine names, software names, tooling names, etc etc etc.

What is NOT allowed is the advertisement of such products. If you're a reseller and post links to your site in the hopes of drumming up business, you will be asked to remove it. We have advertisers here that PAY to advertise here, and for others to solicit here for free is not fair to the paying advertisers.

Again, if you know of a product that works, mention away all you like, just don't try to 'sell' it, that's all.

'Rekd teh keeping the peace

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Rekd
    We are not prohibited from mentioning equipment we use and neither are you.. How many times do you see machine names, software names, tooling names, etc etc etc.

What is NOT allowed is the advertisement of such products. If you're a reseller and post links to your site in the hopes of drumming up business, you will be asked to remove it. We have advertisers here that PAY to advertise here, and for others to solicit here for free is not fair to the paying advertisers.

Again, if you know of a product that works, mention away all you like, just don't try to 'sell' it, that's all.

'Rekd teh keeping the peace
    That is 100% CORRECT people come to READ infomation in the threads NOT advertising.

So as stated-
    If you know of a product that works, mention away, all you like, just don't try to 'sell' it, in the forums that's all.

Also I don't want this site to become like Yahoo groups, where every post is filled with pop-ups and advertising in your face.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Klox
    Tom,
    anything as long as it is not lemon cordial.....

Now seriously, motor oil gives of fumes & a smell, it was not designed as a cutting fluid, 3-in-1 is actually a light oil, and is handy for creacking door hinges....

You need a cutting fluid that's gives you good tool life, finish and does not have a bad smell (due to bacteria growth). I don't know what's on the market on your side of the ocean, but i'm sure guys like Hu, Hardmill for example will help you on the ins and outs of "cutting fluid shopping".
    For tapping i use *******....the other guys claim there products are "good", well in some instances so good it eats away the painted surfaces on machines!
    In some situations you can use parrafine as a cutting fluid eg. ally, copper & brass, but it's not the ideal thing....
    I use a cutting fluid called ****, it's biodergradable, inhibits bacteria growth and does not give a "bad" smell. I don't know if it is availible in the USA.

Klox
    Just for the record-
    YOU CAN POST THE NAMES OF WHAT YOU ***** OUT THEIR IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]