CNC retrofit for Mill/drill?

Thread: CNC retrofit for Mill/drill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC retrofit for Mill/drill?

Hey all, hopefully I've got this under the correct category. I've used manual machines for a while now and have the urge to upgrade to CNC. I was hoping to get a couple of suggestions on converting my manual Enco mill/drill to CNC.

I've searched the net and found some good articles and information, I'd just like some expert opinions on what to use, keeping in mind a low cost budget

I already have the programming knowledge and am pretty decent with the Mastercam program and Autocad. (degree in CAD/CAM)

Heres my machine:

Thanks for any help, I'll be asking lots of questions.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC retrofit for Mill/drill?-enco-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BTW

I'm making a much better base for the machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Jkier,

Look for Jeff Davis from HomeCNC. he has plans/servos to retrofit Enco Mill/Drills: www.homecnc.info

Good luck!

mark Linder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mark

Thanks,

I read through his whole site. Thats what started me thinking about a retrofit. I'm hoping to purchase his plans for the conversion the only question I had about his retrofit is the ability to still use the mill in manual mode. Or can you just manually "bump" the axis from the computer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jkier,

I think all cnc's come with the ability to jog the table, to facilitate crashing your tools manually, rather than always relying on computer controlled crashes

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Jkier,

Nice to see you over here. You are not the only one who has asked about the manual mode. When I did the conversion I decieded to go CNC all the way, no handles on it at all. I have found that was the best way for me. I can do everything using the computer and the DRO's that are there. I did help one guy who used my plans to add the wheels to the ends of the ball screws. He now tells me that he never uses them. He just keys the commands into the computer to move the machine just like I do. I also created a series of drill programs. They run a peck drill cycle and I have them to drill every 1/4" deep to 1". I just position the drill center where I want it and run the program.

If you still want handles on your machine you can do it with the X and Y. You just can't do it with the Z with my design. But moving the Z down with the computer and then locking the spindle works fine.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks guys

Jeff, I'll be ordering plans from you shortly

Downloads
    Uploads

While you guys are putting heads together for this CNC conversion for JKIER one thing bugs me. I too have a mill/drill like this in my workshop, it belongs to my uncle.
    How are you guys going to facilitate Z-axis movement? The reason why Bugs Bunny tramples on my brain is: When adjusting the head on these type of mill/drill machines it rotates a bit, if i am drilling holes for example i set the machine up so that i would not need to adjust the height while drilling (only quill travel). Some of these machines got a rail that keeps the head in alignment (not up to toolmaking tolerances), but some (like my uncle's) do not.
    Was just wondering........

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Downloads
    Uploads

Jkier,
    I don't want to order you around but be wacthfull when working on your machine without the pulley cover. Mind your fingers and hair (especially if you wear it long).

Sorry i know isound like my Mother.....

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Klox

No worries, I keep my goatee trimmed up :rainfro:

I bought the mill used a couple years back and it didn't have a pulley cover. I've been meaning to make on up along with the trillion other little projects on my list...

I too was wondering about the head movement. I spend more time aligning the head after I adjust it than I do machining. I was thinking of drilling and tapping holes in the neck at 1" vertical increments so I can pin the head square to the bed after adjusting the elevation.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you read my site about tooling. I have had no problems (so far) with the problem of the head movement. I have made all my tooling a similar length so I just set the head once before I start a job. Take a look at my site to see what I mean.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info