Best Budget CAD/CAM Software

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Budget CAD/CAM Software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best Budget CAD/CAM Software

Hi everyone,

I'm still very new to CNC and would like to get some opinions on what you would think to be the best CAD/CAM software for a hobbyist.What I'm looking for is something that's easy to use,good support,lots of reference material to help get me started (tutorials,etc) and cheap as possible.I'm hoping to covert my lathe and mill to CNC and want to get a head start on learning the software side of things.Thanks.

Frank

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use dolphin cad cam daily and couldnt be happier. While it's no mastercam it still does everything I need plus more. Give it a whirl.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dolphin. Does the job.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been using Rhino4/Rhinocam for about a year. Love Rhino but it does have a learning curve like any software.

Rhinocam does what I need it to but if I were to do it again I would go for Visual Mill which is actually the same as Rhinocam but stand alone.

One thing I like about Rhino is that I find working with solids and surfaces much easier than traditional CAD. Support from McNeel is pretty good and there are some training materials in the form of CDs and books out there in addition to the tutorials that come with Rhino. I found Rhino much easier to learn than Alibre and Bobcad.

I would like to use MasterCam but can't afford it or the training so for me Rhino/Rhinocam is something I'll stick with unless I win Lotto!

Rhino has sort of a cult following and those of us who use it spread the word. I found out about it from another modelmaker who has been using it for about 4 years.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

my personal choice for cad is:
    http://www.progesoft.com/index.php?page=home
    and is free for home usage.
    For cam, I use Sheetcam for the mill (nothing yet for lathe)
    www.sheetcam.com

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spincaster View Post
    I've been using Rhino4/Rhinocam for about a year. Love Rhino but it does have a learning curve like any software.

Rhinocam does what I need it to but if I were to do it again I would go for Visual Mill which is actually the same as Rhinocam but stand alone.

One thing I like about Rhino is that I find working with solids and surfaces much easier than traditional CAD. Support from McNeel is pretty good and there are some training materials in the form of CDs and books out there in addition to the tutorials that come with Rhino. I found Rhino much easier to learn than Alibre and Bobcad.

I would like to use MasterCam but can't afford it or the training so for me Rhino/Rhinocam is something I'll stick with unless I win Lotto!

Rhino has sort of a cult following and those of us who use it spread the word. I found out about it from another modelmaker who has been using it for about 4 years.

Jack
    I was wndering. How easy-to-use is Rhino, I would like mastercam also but I can't even find a price, Do you know how muck it runs? I have mach3 but I am very new to it and I have read about mastercam, how does it compare to Rhino as far as usability? is it simpler than mach3? I am new to cad/cam software so I am trying to decide how much to spend.

Oh, I have a Router/Plasma gantry type cnc 3axis I am capable of milling aluminum, ceramics, wood, etc...., I will be making ATV parts (aliminum chain and belt covers, and other various parts), also I make litophanes out of porcelin and white corian, and also various wood parts and art. I use photo V-Carve for the Lithophanes, Mach3 and lazycam for the rest, I just want One program to do it all, any recommendations? and maybe rough price estimations anyone?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

RIFF-RAFF,

I have used Autocad, Progesoft, and Turbocad. I like Autocad the best, but had to go with something less expensive, so I am presently using Turbocad Version 14.1. It is like Progesoft and Autocad (in 2.5 D), but uses different work-around type commands. Progesoft and Turbocad are very close in function, but Turbocad offered direct output for .pdf and other file formats, so that is the only reason I am using it.

Here is wishing you luck on your choice of a CAD system. I do not own any true 3D software other than Autocad Version 12 which is obsolete in my opinion.

Anyway, the true reason that I am entering this post is to second Bubba on the use of Sheetcam for 2.5D work on a mill or other X, Y, Z axis setup. It works wonders when pocketing, carving letters or text, or just routing or milling at several different levels on a part. So, regardless of which CAD package you decide to use, I recommend Sheetcam highly for its ease of use and the quality of G-code that it generates. It was written by a member and supporter of CNCzone, which I will not name without his permission, and who also takes his support for users seriously. I have been a user of Sheetcam for three years, and am not affiliated with the company, but do recommend this product highly.

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bbooradly7777 View Post
    I was wondering. How easy-to-use is Rhino, I would like mastercam also but I can't even find a price,
    Hard to answer a question "How easy to use" is software. Could be very easy for some, and extremely difficult for others. Also depends on what you want to do with it. Rhino is very powerful, and as such has a lot of different ways to do things.

As for MasterCAM, figure $7,000-$15,000, depending on the options you want. It's also very difficult to learn, so figure a few $K more for training. And annual maintenance fees.

V-Carve Pro is a pretty powerful CAM program, with some design tools as well. A new version will be out soon with a lot of new features, too.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bbooradly7777 View Post
    I was wndering. How easy-to-use is Rhino, I would like mastercam also but I can't even find a price, Do you know how muck it runs? ?
    +1 for Rhino, about 6 years here, every day for the last 4 years.

MasterCam? Would be nice, but I was quoted 6K for a basic 3 axis milling package, and it didn't do much more than my RhinoCAM plug in does. Plus RhinoCAM runs inside of RhinoCAD, I love it, I can make it look real easy, I am very efficient, but I've been using it every day for 4 years though.

I started on AutoCad R12, then shortly after, R13, that was about 13 years ago. I have AC2007 somewhere, it might even be loaded on this computer. I can't go back to AutoCAD. And I've downloaded countless demo's and had a few demonstrations of diffrent CAD/CAM packages, I gotta stick with RhinoCAD/CAM, I think they have a life long customer!

Oh, and I think Photo-V-Carve is an excellent program. I also downloaded or had a presentation on thier software also. I was VERY impressed, and shocked at the low prices I was offered, but I don't make signs. Should I ever venture into signmaking or lighograph making, I would take another serious look at V-Carve. Rhino does do V-Carving Opps, but is just doesn't compare.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.I'll check out all the above mentioned software.Hopefully I can find something I can afford as a hobbyist.

Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok please hold all flaming, bobcad 23 is really a good product thats gettiing better all the time with updates. I am impressed with it and you can deal with them. so look into it the mill side is really getting good and lathe is alright. give the free download a try its fully functional. I have no affiliation just a happy customer.
    Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Don't forget CamBam

I've got Dolphin and it is good, but I think quite buggy in some parts. I find myself using CamBam for pretty much everything to do with milling and engraving - it's so versatile with worthwhile updates to its features and has great support from its author and forum. It should certainly be on any hobbyists shortlist.

All the best, Martin.

Downloads
    Uploads

and about what does rhino go for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The cad is like 900 i think. If you want cam also, visual cam basic is 1K. This is from memory, i could be wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    and about what does rhino go for?
    $1600 for Rhino 4 and RhinoCam basic, 4200 for Rhino 4 and the full version of RhinoCam. It's worth it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm confused, why is cad and cam software so expensive compared to almost any kind of other software you can buy?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    $1600 for Rhino 4 and RhinoCam basic, 4200 for Rhino 4 and the full version of RhinoCam. It's worth it!
    A Mercedes may also be well worth it......doesn't mean someone can afford it.I'm just a hobbyist and still learning and can't justify spending $1600 for software for a hobby that I may end up abandoning,especially when I have a wife,2 kids,dog,mortgage,2 car payments etc.The purpose of this thread was to find something that is comparable to some of the higher end software,has an easy learning curve and cheap as possible.If there isn't anything in the sub $550 range available,then I may consider a new hobby.

Frank

Downloads
    Uploads

V-Carve Pro is only $50 above your budget at $599, and is far and away the easiest CAM package you'll find. Check out their user forum, and you'll find nothing but satisfied users.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your budget is $500 you are probably a good customer for BobCad. I have done some reasonably simple stuff with v21 and I am thinking about v23 although I may look at Rhino as a step up.

Like you I can't justify the cost of Mastercam (darnit).

Bobcad was recommended to me when I was first looking at getting a cnc machine and I have found it has not been trouble free (I think I need a post processor that suits my machine better and I haven't put in the effort to request one) but it has been good enough for me to draw stuff and generate G code and cut with my mill - which is what I wanted to do.

If you look at the BobCad page here (on cnczone) you'll see there are mixed experiences but you must remember the people putting in the effort to write on the forum often do so because they have had trouble. You've gotta figure there must be some happy customers quietly cutting chips out there.

It seems you can get the latest version (v23) for around $400 by haggling with a rep or looking on eBay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ozfab View Post
    If your budget is $500 you are probably a good customer for BobCad. I have done some reasonably simple stuff with v21 and I am thinking about v23 although I may look at Rhino as a step up.

Like you I can't justify the cost of Mastercam (darnit).

Bobcad was recommended to me when I was first looking at getting a cnc machine and I have found it has not been trouble free (I think I need a post processor that suits my machine better and I haven't put in the effort to request one) but it has been good enough for me to draw stuff and generate G code and cut with my mill - which is what I wanted to do.

If you look at the BobCad page here (on cnczone) you'll see there are mixed experiences but you must remember the people putting in the effort to write on the forum often do so because they have had trouble. You've gotta figure there must be some happy customers quietly cutting chips out there.

It seems you can get the latest version (v23) for around $400 by haggling with a rep or looking on eBay.
    bobcam is 3 axis correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast