Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Direct bitmap to model conversion method

To anyone interested really...

For some time now I've been working on a method to equate to what the likes of visual scuplture can do by way of generating 3D vector models from raster clipart/images. One of the main goals was that the software used must be FREE or very inexpensive.

I'm happy to say I have a fully working NO-COST solution.. requiring NO modelling skills and MINIMAL knowledge and experience. As close to a load and Code solution as you will get for FREE.

The method is very successful across a wide range of source material, take a look at the pics below and see for yourself.. The Pvw series of images are cutting previews from Cut3D software.

Creating the models takes 10 mins or less and requires nothing more serious than adjusting some value sliders.. NO modelling, NO geometry tweaking, NOTHING. ALL software used is FREE.

I 'm thinking of charging a small amount for the ebook of the NEW method, to justify the time it takes to create. If you want a taste of my cooking tryout the free tutorial indicated in my sig. The Fairy and teddy models were initially made using this free method... but did take some time..

If anyone is interested in purchasing the NEW tutorial could you please let me know here or via p.m. If I get enough interest I'll get to work.. if not I'll know the demand is not there... WILL NOT be expensive.. looking at keeping the cost to about 10 GBP at most.

TTFN

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-maxrenders-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-fairy-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-teddy-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pvwgman-jpg  

Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pvweyethang-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pvwsheild-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-finaltink-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-003tinkcut-jpg  

Direct bitmap to model conversion method-tedcut3d-jpg  
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi will this work with any type modeling system, i.e., Rhino etc? I guess I'm asking if you have to have a propritery piece of software such as Vetric to carve the parts?

If it will indeed work with any cad system, or at least with Rhino then I am absolutely interested.

Mike

edit: I went back and reread your post. I guess I'm asking what kind of file extension is it saved in?

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    yohudi will this work with any type modeling system, i.e., Rhino etc? I guess I'm asking if you have to have a propritery piece of software such as Vetric to carve the parts?

If it will indeed work with any cad system, or at least with Rhino then I am absolutely interested.

Mike

edit: I went back and reread your post. I guess I'm asking what kind of file extension is it saved in?
    The tutorial is a way to use bitmaps to generate dimensional clipart with 3dsmax or Gmax. GMax is a FREE version of 3DSMAX.. GMax 1.2 is about the equivalent of 3DSMax 4.0.

There is also a FREE means to get the GCode straight out of both apps using rainea's CNC Toolkit.. which will be explored in the tut... but you need to know a bit about calculating stepover and feedrates to get the best from CNCToolkit...

Alternatively the model can saved in .STL or .OBJ file format and processed as you would with any other model.. I'm pretty sure Rhino will work with these formats.

I used Vectrics Cut3D to generate the previews as I wanted a check on the surface smoothness without cutting the files.

hope this helps

BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Downloads
    Uploads

I've downloaded G-Max yohudi and Im going to look at your tut. It'll be interested to compare this to using Silo. Thx.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job yohudi.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just had a quick glance through your tutorial. The method is quite similar to one I use sometimes in Silo. Cool! I'll read it properly again later, and hopefully get time this week to try GMax, although from your tutorial, I think as you say that a variety of different programs can do the same thing. This is good, it means that if I decide to stick with Silo (Which I probably will), then your tut's may still be useful and interesting to me. L8rs.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    I just had a quick glance through your tutorial. The method is quite similar to one I use sometimes in Silo. Cool! I'll read it properly again later, and hopefully get time this week to try GMax, although from your tutorial, I think as you say that a variety of different programs can do the same thing. This is good, it means that if I decide to stick with Silo (Which I probably will), then your tut's may still be useful and interesting to me. L8rs.

Where did you find his tutorial?

edit: oops...........never mind

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEW Method MIGHT be do-able in any app...

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    THK

Hi there, hope u r ok and that all is well with your build....

The OLD free tut is a fairly common way of doing this kind of modelling. To be honest that's what motivated the tut. I'd be hard pressed to think of any 3D app that can't box model. They can all usually subdivide as well, whether that's by manual tesellation or a mesh-smoothing algorithm as in 3DSMAX or GMax. However, many people found the box-modelling a bit of a problem.. and needed something easier still.

The NEW method makes use of 0 modelling philosophy and approach entirely... The model is generated by the software, ..image based replication. I should really be the LAST person to say it but OLD tut is now obsolete.. I know that for this type of dimensional clipart the NEW way is the way to go... speedwise it's like hyperwarp compared to any modelling I've ever done manually. I would also like to say that none of it is rocket-science either - I only pointed people at the OLD tut so they could read an example of my work and get a taste of what they would be paying for in the NEW one.

I guarantee that using the NEW tutorial ANYONE will generate models of the quality and type shown.. with 0 level of experience, and in times of 10 mins or less. It's EXACTLY, I DO mean EXACTLY, a successful, repeatable and direct Bitmap to 2.5D model generator with a few extras. The CNCtoolkit GCoding is optional.. as is the processing using the demo version of Cut 3D.

Personally I think this is one of the more interesting parts of the tut... it use's the FREE features of both to create a pretty useful method of 3 Axis toolpath generation .... with adjustable and previewable animated cutting.

if you (thkoutsidthebox ONLY) want to test it out.... PM me an image.. something challenging but sensible, on the basis of the examples I put up would be suitable.

Hopefully I will get enough interest to make sitting down and writing the NEW tut worthwhile. It will probably take a couple of days.. and I'm only looking to cover the cost of my time..

TTFN

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Nice job yohudi.

Hi there,

thanks for kind words...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Couple more examples

Tried the method on a portrait sketch and a 3D graphics render... the Cut3D previews are below. I'm cutting a model generated with the method today.. will post pics when completed....

don't forget P.M. me if you are interested in learning the method of doing this with FREE software and NO modelling....

TTFN

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-yohudi1-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pirate-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I am very interested to buy your tutorial. How I can buy it and how much it costs?

Your ideas, look at your machine, your 3d solution, and so on, all of them worth my interest and I have a lot to learn from, so, I decided to buy the tutorial. I am sure that the tutorial is a wise investment for anyone here.

Thank you,

Zoltan

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Yohudi, that portrait sketch got my attention, I think that'd take me ages in Silo....I'll be looking at this in more detail, and probably getting your new tut aswell. L8rs.

Downloads
    Uploads

My attention as well!

Is this really any different than the normal
    greyscale heightmapping?

How much work/experience is involved
    in, say, raising or lowering an area of the model...such as a nose
    or cheek?

And this works with Free software?

I don't have or will have any $3500 software. I do have the Vectric
    stuff....which BTW makes my production work easier by a factor of 10
    at least. I have GMax now.

How much in US$$ for your tut?

Sorry for all the questions...but I'm Seriously Interested

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yohudi,

Very interesting, I would be interested also in buying your tutorial!

Thanks

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Thanks SO MUCH for the support and interest.

Hi there,

First of all thanks for the interest and the willingness to support my efforts in this direction.

Between the response here and other places I have seen enough interest by now to make creating the tutorial worthwhile. So I will begin immediately. I would imagine it will be ready about this time next week.. I will post here when the tutorial is available with details of where to find etc..

I plan on distributing this via my website in the future but for the initial rollout I will probably make use of ebay .. I think this will protect everyone. It will also give anyone parting with funds a record of the payment and the means to reclaim it if they are in anyway unhappy.

I'll try and quickly address some of the points/questions people have raised....

Zoltan

Hi there, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. tutorial will be available as mentioned above.. cost will be no more than £10.00 UK (about $20.00 US) a special deal for all those willing to support my effort at this stage.

thk.....
    Glad you liked the model... I was truly surprised how much detail there was in this model.. It's proper 2.5D carving too... not dots or scratches... you will be having similar fun in about a week....

fireballcnc
    Some interesting questions... and a bit of insight into some aspects of the method. This method differs from greyscale mapping in a few ways..

Tutorial is an examination of modeling with bitmaps rather than simple greyscale mapping. I haven't seen a greyscale mapped model for CNC cutting that would stand against any of the models I've pictured here. I certainly haven't seen anything like this generated so quickly..and nothing at all that does it for FREE.... and I have been looking...

Tut Will cover... editing and adjustment of source to avoid/cure geometry problems.. exploitation of the 3DSMAX/GMax featureset to expand the modelling capabilities... modeling on non-flat geometry.. i.e bowls, roundstock, cylindrical parts etc.... compositing image geometry with existing 3D geometry.. smoothing geometry... optimizing geometry for export and cutting.. In addition the tut will walk thru the use of GMax and addons specific to usage of the app for CNC. Rainneas CNC_Toolkit will be demonstrated in use with 3DSMAX/GMax.. which allows GCode to be created and previewed inside the MAX environment.

The method takes very little time or experience. A novice can make the identical models to those shown in no more than 10 mins or so, GMax users then export to .OBJ files via free and supplied addon. 3DSMAX users export to .STL using built in exporter... 3DSMAX is a bit quicker, other than that you get the identical modelling tools and features whichever you use for the tut.. so no need to spend $1,000's dollars.

Height adjustment is via parametric means.. all very immediate and observable in realtime. The Max featureset has some unique tools for modelling with images. Anything like this will be demonstrated step-by-step in the manner of the FREE tutorial available at the URL in my sig.

YES ALL the software is FREE. You will in addition need an image editor of some kind, nothing fancy as only basic features are used, a shareware version of "paintshop pro" would be fine. Everything else is FREE and non-expiring/unlimited use.

Cost of tut as outlined above.

GaryM
    Thanks for the interest and willingness to support

Similar thanks go out to the people who P.M'd me as opposed to posting here. I appreciate all the support

Final notes for now..

I advise anyone planning on using the tut with GMax to download it from turbosquid, install and verify you won't have any problems running it on your system. I know of 1 person running Vista who can't get GMax to run.... better to find this out before rather than after buying in on a tut for it.

I'm going to cut the model detailed in the pics below over the next 24 hours... it's the centre figure from the dark blue image I posted earlier. When I've cut it I'll post the image here.. In the meantime I'll get to the tut..

thanks again to everyone for all the interest and support.. it's a real motivator to do the job.. and do it right..

TTFN

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-cut1pirate-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pvw1pirate-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-pvw2pirate-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    I plan on distributing this via my website in the future but for the initial rollout I will probably make use of ebay .. I think this will protect everyone. It will also give anyone parting with funds a record of the payment and the means to reclaim it if they are in anyway unhappy.
    Yohudi..........there is a Bible scripture I am going to kinda use here.

"Thou Shalt Not Use Ebay"

For me, I would rather send you the $20 Us plus shipping via regular post and trust you! Ebay is going to take some of your $$ and quite honestly, if you have ever had a deal go bad, they are not too good at trying to resolve the issue. I'll take my chances with you!

Mike

ps besides.....if I have to, I'll just swim over and see you ftf!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll send the $$$ too...will you have a paypal setup?
    That'd sure make things easy

Free upgrades??

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default transaction

turmite and fireballcnc

If you prefer not use the dreaded ebay than thats fine with me also... I only really suggested 3rd party involvement as some people might prefer it... paypal is fine by me.. shouldn't be postage of any sort... I'll either set up an archive for download from my site.. or more likely send the tut direct, as I will be able to complete the tut or the site.. but not both.

In terms of upgrade..... there should never be any need.

The same techniques and tools will be available in any future versions of 3DSMax or GMax .. They are also basic part of the vast majority of other applications.. although perhaps differently implemented.

Once you know how and more importantly why I do this in the way I'll explain, you'll see that if it works like this today it will work like this ad infinitum. Naturally if you have probs I'll be more than happy to try and assist you past that.... but if I've done my job right then you won't have probs...

anyway must get to work... hoping to have that head cut for later on.... can't wait to see how that comes out....

TTFN

Last edited by yohudi; 09-18-2007 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Yohudi,

Just a suggestion for you...
    You could set up a Yahoo group for your buyers. There'll be lots of
    questions and that would keep your "proprietary" info "contained".
    We could post questions and store files and your info would be safe.

I could advise you on how to do that if you'd like....it's dirt simple,
    safe, free, and it works.

Looking forward to the tut

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default That's a really good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by fireballcnc View Post
    Hi Yohudi,

Just a suggestion for you...
    You could set up a Yahoo group for your buyers. There'll be lots of
    questions and that would keep your "proprietary" info "contained".
    We could post questions and store files and your info would be safe.

I could advise you on how to do that if you'd like....it's dirt simple,
    safe, free, and it works.

Looking forward to the tut

John
    Hi there,

that's a good idea.. I'll investigate.. see if it can be sorted by the time I complete the tut...

I've run the cut on the model as planned.... I'm pretty impressed myself.. especially as I know how quickly and easily these models were made.

Being honest the model I cut wasn't a 10 minute job... it must have taken all of 30 mins to get to the current stage. If you compare the model and source bitmap you'll see the model has extra detail below the neck... the image doesn't initially show this.. some tweaks plus some techniques in the software brought the detail out.

Anyway have a look at the pics.. comments and thoughts welcome as always... back to work..

TTFN

Danny

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-01-setup-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-02-roughing-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-03-finishing1-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-04-finising2-jpg  

Direct bitmap to model conversion method-05-complete01-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-06-complete02-jpg  

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast