Direct bitmap to model conversion method - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can't see the forest for the trees..........

Danny,

Great work on the tutorial. It has everything that an experienced CNC professional should know.

The problem is that it's so extensive that the simple tasks are overwhelmed. In the post above you explained how it's really not that hard, just read through the chapters that you recommended, and all will be well. I was hoping to do that, and I'm sorry, that's not the case.

Where in chapter 6 is it explained how to get the image that was completed in chapter 2 into GMAX? Is there a step that I'm missing?

I applaud the fact that you've devoted so much of your life to helping the CNC community, but the beginner (me ) needs a slightly more refined tutorial.

Start with an image and work it all the way through the process. I'm certain that's the way it all started.

Obviously I'm going to be need more advanced options eventually, but I'd like to have a small complete example to see if it'll even work for me.

Just my two cents, which is maybe what it's worth.

Thanks,

KaW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KnotsAboutWood View Post
    Danny,

Great work on the tutorial. It has everything that an experienced CNC professional should know.

The problem is that it's so extensive that the simple tasks are overwhelmed. In the post above you explained how it's really not that hard, just read through the chapters that you recommended, and all will be well. I was hoping to do that, and I'm sorry, that's not the case.

Where in chapter 6 is it explained how to get the image that was completed in chapter 2 into GMAX? Is there a step that I'm missing?

KaW
    Hi There,

Firstly many thanks for your positive and supportive comments.

The method of applying an image to a mesh is explained in detail in Chapter 6, page 5 (fig 7) and (fig 8). The task is named 'Applying Heightmaps to a Mesh'. The example uses a simple gradient, but any image is applied in the same way. If you need to see how heightmapping in gmax works then the example scene files are also a good place to start.

gmax can seem fairly complex if you are new to it, but really tasks are only based around fairly simple operations. If you read the eBook carefully then you should find that most issues are addressed. I'm not perfect by any means, so there could be the odd omissioon here or there.. but something as basic as getting an image in is definitely in there.

In terms of a start with an image and work all the way theough tutorial....

I did originally take this approach in earlier versions... However, uses of heightmapping have greatly expanded since earlier versions of the ebook. The current approach avoids much in the way of repetition. Heightmaps are always loaded as specified in the task noted above.

Hope this helps

Danny

Last edited by yohudi; 08-03-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D models or scenes to low-relief...

Hello All...

Just thought I should post here about a fast, easy-to-learn method of relief generation.. based on the capture / compression of existing data in 3D models or scenes.

Results are of high-quality and the process is entirely generative.. When a few simple operations have been mastered this method is ideal for the custom woodworker...

FREE, LEGAL, high-quality source material can be found in great quantity on the internet.. There are many links to this kind of resource on the cnc4free.org links page..

I put up a photo-tutorial for the method at the link below... let me know if you try it... especially if there were any problems with the description / tutoral steps.... This type of simple technique has been devised for most heightmapping applications.. including bitmaps to models, vectors to models, and toolpathing with Inkscape and gcodetools (inc V-carving). These methods will be online in the very near future.

3D Models or Scene to Bas Relief mesh

Hope this helps

Danny

BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default As well as for now... but then....

Hi There,

thanks for posting...

This tutorial.. and the others mentioned have been created to address the needs of those who find existing ebook methods to be....

1. Complex...

It as been stated by some that existing techniques can come across as 'complex' and this dissuades them from adopting ebook methods..

So over the last 6 - 12 months I've concentrated on devising solutions that are less complex and much easier to explain / grasp.

2. Use unfamiliar software...

gmax can be intimidating to some.. and online it still comes across as being a gamers' tool... somebody told me this only this week they 'didn't want to do animation.. just turn photos into 3D content'.. lack of knowledge / experience is preventing this type of user gaining the right knowledge and experience. As many here will now appreciate...the features of gmax can easily address a great many CNC tasks... but what if you don't want to.. or can't use gmax ??

New techniques don't use gmax at all but DO address the needs of the vast majority for 'standard' 3-Axis cnc applications.... If you want to perform more advanced work etc then you CAN include gmax.. but again.. this is a choice.. not a necessity.. many will never choose / need gmax. New methods are GENERIC they work in ANY software specific to the task.. i.e height-mapping in ANY image editor.... that kind of thing.

For advanced 3 axis work or 4 /5 axis applications then.. to date... there isn't really any alternative to the gmax / cnc_toolkit combination... nothing else even comes close.... so there is still coverage of gmax... and I do have some excellent new gmax 'tricks' up my sleeve too. BUT... these are options NOT a necessity.

3. Only works in windows....

New techiques use GIMP, InkScape, Kerkythea, FreeMill, Meshlab, 3DPaysage... that kind of thing.. These are existing cross-platform tools.. or as in the case of 3DPaysage and Freemill.... have been tested to function below Linux builds that run EMC.. using the FREE WINE windows emulator... so you don't need 'windoze' anymore !!!

The shape of things to come....

In future there may well be no specific 'ebook' chapters.. I'm more inclined to host the info online.. and make it available as video tutorials for a particular 'task' like the photo-tutorials.. but using video...

Many seem to have difficulty with reading a set of instructions... what if english is not your native tongue and so forth.. so I think online video is a must... There will be promo 'trailers' at my youtube account.. and Hi-Res tutorial content will be hosted at cnc4free.org. Having gone to the trouble of creating hi-res video content... I won't be replicating the work as an ebook... there may be supplementary notes / support files... depending on the task....

This also deals with the fact that I've seen current ebook content reproduced elsewhere.. at non-english websites.. and in the academic communty... it is not always attributed... some have gone so far as to strip out my tags.. or attempt too... so in future I want to avoid this...

Hope this helps

Danny

EDIT:

seems the post I was replying to above ... has been removed... as I was replying to it.... strange indeed....

Edit:

Pasted it... from the email I got...

Dear yohudi,

Wild54Pe has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Direct bitmap to model conversion method - in the General CAM Discussion forum of CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...2&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    the chapters or do they add to it

TTFN

Danny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default website not working

I tried your site to get mote info on this method, but it appears to be down? Is your tut still available and valid?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    To anyone interested really...

For some time now I've been working on a method to equate to what the likes of visual scuplture can do by way of generating 3D vector models from raster clipart/images. One of the main goals was that the software used must be FREE or very inexpensive.

I'm happy to say I have a fully working NO-COST solution.. requiring NO modelling skills and MINIMAL knowledge and experience. As close to a load and Code solution as you will get for FREE.

The method is very successful across a wide range of source material, take a look at the pics below and see for yourself.. The Pvw series of images are cutting previews from Cut3D software.

Creating the models takes 10 mins or less and requires nothing more serious than adjusting some value sliders.. NO modelling, NO geometry tweaking, NOTHING. ALL software used is FREE.

I 'm thinking of charging a small amount for the ebook of the NEW method, to justify the time it takes to create. If you want a taste of my cooking tryout the free tutorial indicated in my sig. The Fairy and teddy models were initially made using this free method... but did take some time..

If anyone is interested in purchasing the NEW tutorial could you please let me know here or via p.m. If I get enough interest I'll get to work.. if not I'll know the demand is not there... WILL NOT be expensive.. looking at keeping the cost to about 10 GBP at most.

TTFN
    i am interested about your method to generate relief from bimap can you tell me more and give me a price please ? my mail is samuel3627@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: website not working

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinb View Post
    I tried your site to get mote info on this method, but it appears to be down? Is your tut still available and valid?
    Sorry for being 4 years late, but cnc4free.org is up today in 2017.

I'm wondering how mature this is for doing human faces. Has anyone been using it to make carvings of walk-in clients?

Thanks, Danny/Yohudi!

--
    Dan

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314