Direct bitmap to model conversion method - Page 4

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Hey Danny you did carve that last pict or is that a render? Cant wait to give this a go, sent my payment hope you got it ok, had a hell of a time with paypal. Any way hope you got some sleep.Graham
    Hi graham... as you know got your cash no problem but sorry to hear you had paypal grief... hopefully the pain will be worth it for you..

The only model I've carved from the tut is the "ugly" dude generated from the CGI image. The pic with the 4 objects together against the black background is a render. Well 4 renders actually just pasted them together. I'm going to put those objects up individually at the CNC_4_FREE group so if there's one that takes your fancy help yourself....

Once again thanks a lot, to everyone else as well, and all the best with the clients

TTFN

Danny

What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC_4_FREE FREEBIES..LIMITED time Only !!!

Well it seems to have gone a bit quiet here since tuesday.. guess people have some reading to do..

I've just performed a major update at the new CNC_4_FREE yahoo group..

For a limited time (30 days) I've made some STL Models available to any zone members for FREE... there are some pics below. This is a promotional thing for the methods in my tutorials. You can see for yourself what can be done 1st hand.. and won't have to take my word or anyone else's for the level and quality of the results.

I made most of the FREE models for research purposes investigating the methods in the tuts.. it's no big thing to give them away as I can make anything I need now in about 10mins. It's also a chance for me to give something back to the "Zone" and it's members in respect of the help and advice I obtained when building my machine.

My only stipulation is that the FREE models are for your personal use.. and not for sale or distribution beyond your own cutting of them. One will be handy for Xmas (santa teddy). Winzip 11.1 or the free trial is required to extract any dl as that's what it was archived with.

There are some other higher quality STL Models from the tuts which are reserved for the supporters and contributers. There are pics of these.. but these STL's are encrypted, and I'll be adding to them over the next few days/weeks.

I'm not that bothered if you grab the FREE files and never appear at the group again thereafter but I would like to think that a brief post of thanks would be in order.. you never know might be further FREEBIES in future.. or not.. if you catch my drift....

check out the pics below.. if you want them.. then you know where to get them.. just check out my sig....

For the tut users.. I've pretty much completed the CNC toolkit stuff (again).

I've asked at their group for someone to review it.. to make sure that I'm not misrepresenting it or them in anyway. I'm a great admirer of this plugin, and the attitude of Rab the author in respect of allowing people to "beta" test it ad infinitum. I thought I should at least offer to run it by him first.. in case he takes exception to anything I've written about his work.. not much chance of this.. but is only courteous.

anyway enough of my blather... ttfn amigos

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-santated-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-tedonmoon-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-unicorn-jpg  
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW...

I got the tutorial and I'd have to say it's already saved me at
    least weeks of figuring out GMax. With a very small amount of
    practice...I WILL actually be making models in 10 min.
    Limitless models!

3d programs are insanely complex and it'd have take a very long
    time to learn anything as useful as this on my own(if ever).

I think if we all support Danny with his efforts and expertise, this
    will be a HUGE benefit for us all. It's extremely complex and time
    consuming work he simplifies for us. Well worth a few $$$

A Proud Endorsement
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks !!!

Well John what can I say... you're making me blush

I'm glad you found the tutorial of assistance and that you consider it good value as I DO try. If I'm taking someones money then they have a right to expect something worth having. Many thanks

I've had response from Rab at the CNC_Toolkit forum regarding the appendix to the tutorial. He's agreed to have a look at it and maybe even input some suggestions. As he WROTE the CNC_Toolkit plugin I think the appendix will be that much better for this.. he's bound to come up with something I don't know about. I'm so chuffed about this I can't really express it

Once all that's out the way and I've put any revisions in place I'll add it at the group. The benefit of this is that with the info from the tut.. and the means to get GCode off the models directly inside GMax it's potentially a COMPLETE design and code solution..

Fingers crossed and he'll approve of the stuff I've done with the toolkit.. big things are possible.. CNC_toolkit is up to 6 axis toolpath generator..

Anyway.. thanks again for the endorsment... wish you could see the smile on my face.

ttfn

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi,

Got one question, as of now if you don't mind? Take a look at the image below. How do I get rid of the black in the model? I finally got it to look something like yours but still that black makes it hard to see. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-oldman2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey gary that looks really good, very dimensional, I think you need to change your plane color to a lighter color. in your modifi panel you pick the modify tab on top, when it opens on the right youll see a square box with a color, click on that and it will open abox of colors, click the color you want and then click ok. that should do it , I hope any way. good luck. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wouldn't like to meet him in the Dark !!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    yohudi,

Got one question, as of now if you don't mind? Take a look at the image below. How do I get rid of the black in the model? I finally got it to look something like yours but still that black makes it hard to see. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Gary
    Hi there Gary.. Great work on the model BTW...no it's NOT a dumb question... it's something I should have included... will make a note of it at the Group.. thanks for bringing up the problem.

Graham is right, the approach he suggests will work and there's also another way which I'll mention as well

You can, select the object then look to the right at the modify panel area, the selected object will be listed by name in a small box just below the modifier "stack" area. Next to the object name is a small square box with the object colour in it.. left-click in the box and a standard windows colour pallete popup will appear where you can adjust the object colour...

Alternatively.. if you like the colour but just need a bit more light in the scene.. right-click on the label in any viewport.... this will pop up a menu as shown in the first image i've posted below.

Select the configure option highlighted red...

this accesses the viewport configuration options.. (2nd image) in the area I've highlighted you can adjust the default lighting setup to give you more light in the scene.

You can also create lights in the scene.. but as I've not used anything but the default set up in the tutorial this shouldn't be necessary.

hope this helps you out.. and good to see graham giving you a hand ..

ttfn

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-image1-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-image2-jpg  
    Last edited by yohudi; 09-28-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Graham the Guru !!

Hey gary that looks really good, very dimensional, I think you need to change your plane color to a lighter color. in your modifi panel you pick the modify tab on top, when it opens on the right youll see a square box with a color, click on that and it will open abox of colors, click the color you want and then click ok. that should do it , I hope any way. good luck. Graham
    Hi there graham...

now you're getting into the MAX speak.... I like it

no seriously... well done.. correct and good advice... and well expressed.. couldn't have put it better myself...

Keep it up guy's... keep it up..

To All:

have just been through my mail box.. anyone waiting for the pass should now have it... except for 2 people, where payment is still pending, or awaiting clearance.

ttfn

Danny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hay guy's thanks for the help!

Man this could be cool! I think a big part of this is preparing the image before you try to model it. Now I will try to prepare my own image.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-oldman3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Give that man a CIGAR !!!

Hay guy's thanks for the help!

Man this could be cool! I think a big part of this is preparing the image before you try to model it. Now I will try to prepare my own image.

Gary
    Hi there Gary.. WELL DONE with the example.... I am smiling like a simpleton as I type this

You grasp one of the core issues VERY well. The tut is designed to draw you towards this conclusion..

The source image is the sole input in terms of modeling data... if the source images is NOT as optimum as you can make it.. then it will never create a quality model...

The section of the tut that deals with images, "It's ALL about image", lists the edits I made and continue to make to any sources I use to generate models... Carefully read the text on page 4, examine those images, then apply that to your own work. The pictures, especially the gradients, shown on the page are the key. The tut is as much about the illustrations as the text.. a picture's worth a 1,000 words and all that.

Also...see page 11.. and look at (Fig.11) and (Fig. 12).. a good way of further adjusting the image.. after it's been applied. When you make adjustments described in this section observe the effects on the model directly.. it's like tuning or focusing it.. by adjusting the curve and placement of points on the graph you adjust the weight or strength setting of the values in the gradient below it.... and thereby the impact on the generated surface.

Once again WELL DONE..

Danny

Last edited by yohudi; 09-28-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TuTorial UPDATED

Hi there,

to the folks who bought in on the tut I've posted an update today in response to feedback over the weekend.... original password you were sent will extract the update

Page 9 has been reworked to emphasise an important point that some people new to GMax didn't pick up on.... which means I hadn't made it clear enough... should be clear enough now.

I've added blow-by-blow creation of the Unicorn plaque shown in the tut and useful tips to speed up working with multiple images. The update also Demos 3D applications like the rendered primitives earlier in the post. Tut now runs to 35 pages in all.

As a further assist to getting the best model output I've posted 3 images below, another LOTR related job.. Image was not as good as the Faramir image I've got (a bit low-res really). But was a good example to illustrate the tonal range adjustments you should be aiming for...

I've posted the original, the "optimised" version, and the model generated... few PM's I've had suggest that this kind of model is what some people are going for. Looking through my stuff for more of this type of thing.. Images might also help people trying this in NON-Gmax software....

ttfn

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-01aragorn-orig-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-02aragorn-edit-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-03aragorn-model-jpg  
    Last edited by yohudi; 10-01-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: shpellink

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yohudi,

Thanks Yohudi, that update was very need, thanks again. Do you have any info on CNC_ToolKit? Seems like that would be a slick way to get some g-code!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Toolkit

Yohudi,

Thanks Yohudi, that update was very need, thanks again. Do you have any info on CNC_ToolKit? Seems like that would be a slick way to get some g-code!

Gary
    Hi there Gary,

Glad you liked the update... I've been monitoring people's use of the tut at the group.. so the update to the main part of the tut was to address a point that a couple of people had raised . 1 of them had managed to work it out for themselves.... but the idea of a tutorial is that you don't have to "work it out".. it's supposed to tell you... so I added the information at page 9. If you look at later parts of the tut it's highlighted in some of the images.. but needed more explanation.

In terms of CNC_Toolkit... I had put this on hold to address the issues raised over the weekend... no good adding this until the existing stuff has been tried and tested to be OK in terms of people being able to understand the explanation and make it work.... the method works.. as you now know for yourself... but my explanation of it has to work 100%.. and that's whats under test really.

I'm going to have to simplify the CNC_toolkit stuff I've done, a lot. It's quite involved.. It IS pretty slick though once you get your head around it, can't praise it enough... CNC_Toolkit generated ALL the GCode for the ride-on toys below. When you understand the way it works you can steer the cutting any way you want and you get really tight optimised fast-cutting code out of it...I still use CNC_toolkit generated code when I make these now..

I'm commited to the process I've begun and if the 28 to 30 "Real" group members are up for it then so am I. We do have quite a few members at CNC_4_FREE who are CNC_Toolkit members/users. I've mentioned the proposed appendix to Rainnea, the author of the toolkit, and he's agreed to look at it and possibly give some input. I value to his interest and wouldn't want to waste his time.. so it WILL happen as soon as I can get it done.

ttfn and stick at the tut, especially the updated stuff.. lots of tips to speed up the job in there ...

all the best

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-19uthastuff1-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-20uthatstuff2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Check this out! I made this in less than 10 min!

I am trying to be patient for the CNC_ToolKit info, I really am!!!!!!!

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-grapevineint-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default See You've got it sorted then !!

Check this out! I made this in less than 10 min!

I am trying to be patient for the CNC_ToolKit info, I really am!!!!!!!

Gary
    Hi Gary,

looks like you've been spending your time wisely.. and results are evident in your success. I'm on the toolkit stuff now... had a complete re-think on this mainly because of some of the probs that a couple of people had in terms of the modeling tut.... I know MAX isn't a walk in the park but some of the probs were just down to people not reading, or mis-reading and not checking what the tut actually said.. or what was in the pictures. Can't be the slightest risk of any of this with the CNC_toolkit stuff.

Making models incorrectly or getting an unexpected result isn't likely to injure you or damage your machine. Get the output of the toolkit wrong and you could be in BIG trouble.. that's one of the main reasons I asked for someone to check my stuff at the CNC_toolkit group before it goes live...

Info on CNC_toolkit is available at Rainnea's site.. the link is below.. it got me started then practice and testing got me the rest of the way.. you seem to be of the right mindset, so it could get you going.. and I'll be happy to help if you get stuck along the way .... also you'll have to join the CNC_toolkit group to get the script anyway.. and there's a lot of help to be had there....

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_toolkit.htm

The "toolkit" needs a knowledge of MAX spline (vector lines) creation and manipulation... which might take a bit of work to get up to speed on.. Check the GMax help file.. available via Turbosquid, for info on this. This is useful stuff to know... MAX spline tools combined with the "Toolkit" functions can V-Carve...running a test cut this week to personalise one of the rockers I pictured in this thread... saved me a decent chunk of money being able to do this.. Text in MAX is just another spline..

The way it's going the "Toolkit" stuff will amount to about half the length of the updated tut.. which is another reason it's taking me a while.. it's not a case of chucking in a couple of extra pages.. have a look at that link.. you'll see what I mean...

Will be posting a new "Listener" grabber at the group today.... developed by a gamers group called NeverWinterNights. They specifically focus on defeating the GMax limitations... to get models out for their games etc... it cuts the time to get to .OBJ down by 50% as it saves the buffer contents immediately so that's a big help.

in case anyone's interested, this image-based modeling method in works in blender as well... someone reported that it did, so I've spent some time over the last couple of days checking it out... I was going to incorporate the blender procedure into the tutorial.. as it doesn't require any scripts or workarounds to get .OBJ files out.. I'm dubious about doing this now tho.. even after buying and reading most of the 760 page manual it took me ages to find the right way through the interface. I can honestly say I've never encountered such un-friendly and tortuous 3D software.. I know now why they call it blender.. that's what it puts your brain through It does work tho... once you know how it implements the required functions...

anyway Gary nice one on the modeling... and on getting up to speed with it... told you you'd be able to do it... will post news about the toolkit stuff as soon as there is anything worth mentioning...

ttfn

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi yohudi, I just wanted to say that Im still very interested in this and WILL be getting your tut. Unfortunately Im so snowed under at the moment that my 3D education has taken a back seat. I'll buy the tut off you in a few weeks when I have time to use it. L8rs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Yohudi for your response! I'm having alot of fun with this, since it could save me lot's of money!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow gary that looks great, Your coming along prety good there, ive been having a few problems on mine at the moment, tryin to get every thing to the right shape to what I want, I know its the pictures im using, well back to the grind stone. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Come on Graham we wanta see!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello One and all.. just a little news

Bit of news.... but first to reply to people posting

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Hi yohudi, I just wanted to say that Im still very interested in this and WILL be getting your tut. Unfortunately Im so snowed under at the moment that my 3D education has taken a back seat. I'll buy the tut off you in a few weeks when I have time to use it. L8rs.
    thk...box

Hi there.. hey no worries... tut's there now.. and updates are on going.. so whenever you feel like diving in will all still be there. ... I know what you mean about busy..

Thanks Yohudi for your response! I'm having alot of fun with this, since it could save me lot's of money!

Gary
    Gary.

oh yep.. there's masses of potential for CNC_toolkit... it's MUCH underappreciated.. just wait and see what we can do with it... and as for money-saving potential.. it's all there.. I think for a license to use the toolkit commercially Rainnea asks the pittance of £100.00....

6 axis toolpath generator for commercial use at cost of £100.00, you can't even get a commercial post-processor for that.. and at the moment it's FREE for personal use.. just need to get your skills up to speed in terms of using it... hopefully that's where the tut appendix might bridge a bit of a gap...

Wow gary that looks great, Your coming along prety good there, ive been having a few problems on mine at the moment, tryin to get every thing to the right shape to what I want, I know its the pictures im using, well back to the grind stone. Graham
    Graham

thought you were a bit quiet.. do me a favour.. please upload one of the images that you're having problems with at the group... or can send to my yohoodi@blahblah email if you'd prefer to keep the image from going public. I might have a solution to your probs .. but I need to see what the prob is 1st..

ALL tut users at the Zone

posting a new example model (GnR fans will like it) and some GMax specific refinements at the group later.. related to best model with smallest face-count. Made this in GMax NOT 3DSMAX.. to test the new grabber. which will also be going up at same time. New grabber works a bit differently.. but I've tested it and will include some instructions.

see the images below for pics of the new grabber interface... don't know how this works but it's super-rapid at getting the file out the buffer... I have a lot more respect for some of these gamer guys at this point...

you'll need your tut password to access the new upload as it's only of benefit for tut users..

should point out that clock is ticking on the people hitching a ride.. 25 days and counting.. Free-ride is over at the end of October.... think I've done enough to establish that methods work and that quality support is all there and ongoing... people can choose to be in.. or choose to be out. Will still be able to join after then obviously.. but will be tut supporters only...

£10.00 UK will just about get you a couple of el-cheapo vectorclip models.. tut users get unlimited custom models if they get skills up..Not to mention the 6 or 7 example models that were made available.

In future we'll be using MAX to carve splines and letters using a pointed bit, generically known by many as V'Carving. We will look in depth at GCoding using a MAXScript called CNC_Toolkit... not to mention a few other things up my sleeve.. think it's a fairly simple choice myself...

anyway.. keep up the good work with 3DSMAX\GMax\Blender and the tut... any probs let me know.. hope to be speaking with ???? over the next couple of days in response to his PM... time to get this party started !!!

ttfn

Danny (aka Yohudi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-newgrabber-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-gnr-jpg  
    Last edited by yohudi; 10-05-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: EXTREME CLARITY !!! + Typos

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast